Hepatitis Social Community
Lung TX and Hep C

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Lung TX and Hep C

Hi group.....
My husband had IPF and had a bilateral lung transplant in Dec. 2006-during the pre transplant testing they found he had Hep C...we never knew he had before...At that time the biospy showed no damage or so they told us a the time...
They did another biospy last Thursday and the doc said it showed more fibrosis-..he also stated that the treatments for it might be hard on his lung...he stated he knew that it was on kidneys....
Has anyone dealt with this???
My husband had alot of complications during and after transplant and still is now....Any info would be a great help...KAtG
I will pray for you.... I dont know muchabout that.. I have hepc1a and diabetes 2,, hey what insight on biospy can u tellme.. did he feel it? iam scared i get one at end of mth  
Hi Kat. Bless his heart seems his been through alot, hopefully someone will come by with soem help
God Bless  Joyful

Find a hepatologist that is knowledgeable about side effects during TX.  The lung problems are most likely going to add problems to the TX experience.  If you/he decides to treat just make sure they are constantly watching for complications.
Treatment of Hepatitis C in Potential Lung Transplant Candidates.

Brief Reports
Transplantation. 83(12):1652-1655, June 27, 2007.
Doucette, Karen E. 1,4; Weinkauf, Justin 2; Sumner, Suzanne 3; Ens, Karen 3; Lien, Dale 2

Abstract:
International guidelines list hepatitis C virus (HCV) as a contraindication to lung transplant (LTx). Since the development of these guidelines, the natural history of HCV after nonhepatic transplant has been clarified, and more effective antiviral therapy is available. In renal transplant candidates, HCV treatment before transplantation improves posttransplant outcome. There are no data regarding the safety and efficacy of HCV therapy in LTx candidates. We describe the outcomes of HCV treatment in five LTx candidates. Three have had a sustained virologic response and there have been no unexpected adverse effects. Two have gone on to LTx. We conclude that selected lung transplant candidates can safely and effectively be treated for HCV before transplantation. An approach to selecting HCV-positive LTx candidates for antiviral therapy and transplant listing using clinical, virologic, and histologic data is described based on this experience and current knowledge regarding HCV natural history after solid organ transplant.

Mike
I didn't realize this dealt with treatment pre-transplant when I posted it. I apologize for my mistake. Mike
Oh it is okay mikesimon...I am glad to get any info....Seems like we keep getting hit from every side with bad news....
MAtt said the biospy did not hurt a bit...and it was cover with alittle bandade afterwards...he had versaid and alittle demerol...was wanting something to eat in about an hour...SAid it was one of the easiest procedures he has ever had...KAtG
that's rough; going in for a lung transplant and then being diagnosed with hep.

I have no knowledge of the effects of one on the other but i wish you the best.

I have no idea of how quickly the disease can spread but I'd want to follow up on why no damage was detected in December but 8 months later fibrosis has progressed.  

Best of luck to you and your husband,

wyntre