Hepatitis Social Community
Magnum Update

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Magnum Update

Yes, it's been a long time. I temporarily moved from Las Vegas to Chicago to be prepared for a transplant once my MELD score reaches 15. It is now 10, which means the only way I can get a liver now is from a living donor or friend. Friday, I will has a procedure done called TIPS. This will put a shunt in the liver to relieve pressure, which will hopefully not allow so mu ascites and tapping to get rid of fluid. For example, in the past three weeks, I had three tappings (removal of abdominal fluid).

The first was 3.5 liters or 7.5 lbs. of fluid removed. This was not the total amount of fluid, but here at Northwestern Memorial hospital in Chicago, it is the protocol for a first time tapping (fluid removal) for the purpose of testing for infection. A week later, I had 9.5 liters or roughly 24 lbs of fluid removed. The same amount was taken out yesterday.

This is a problem because it’s hard to breathe with all that fluid built up, and it’s very uncomfortable. I now have a good idea of what pregnant women go through. After the TIPS procedure next Friday, I should notice a difference in fluid build up. Most do.

I feel weak and my legs are always swollen. Doctor has me on triple dosage Lasic (water pills) to try and keep the swelling down. It helps but is not a total solution.

In closing, I will update as I go along and I hope everyone heals and enjoys life once more...

Magnum
Thanks for the update, Magnum. I am sorry to hear of all of the medical problems and complications you are going through but happy to hear you are receiving good care and will hopefully get a new liver when one is available and you qualify.

Keep us posted on your well being. Best of luck to you in the future.
   It sounds like you are doing a fantastic job, taking care of yourself, medically speaking, Magnum.   I will be praying that all goes well, with your TIPS procedure, next Friday.
   It sounds as though the 24 lbs of fluid that they removed, just came right back, thus the need for the shunt. When I had my baby, I did lose 20 lbs right away, half being fluid, and yes, it was hard to breath. Hopefully the shunt will bring you relief, and that you get your new liver soon.
   I don't understand the MELD scoring, so I will research it, but it sounds so very difficult to deal with: knowing that you need your new liver now, but having to go by a #/score~  Especially when you have put so much time into getting yourself Treatment, I feel like since the Boceprevir is what contributed to this decline in your liver health, that the Medical Profession has the responsibility to provide you with a liver now, not when your MELD is a 15.
Hello, my friend.  I just signed in here today, for a quick look.  I don't get on Medhelp often as I used to anymore, but I'm glad that I was able to catch your update.  You have been in my thoughts and wondering how you're doing.  How are you handling the cold weather up there after coming from Vegas?  I know that's probably not your primary concern right now, though.  I will say a prayer for you that you get your new liver soon.  

Susan400
It's good to get an update but I am sorry that things are difficult.  I also hope you will not have long to wait.  I'm guessing since you are up here in the north that the prospects are better.  It sounds like a tough way to wait.

I'm about 4 hours WSW of you on I-80.  We just got about 6 inches of snow.  Big change of pace from Las Vegas I'm sure.  

Good to hear from you.  It's hard to find myself in the situation of hoping you'll get worse so you can get a TP or hoping you stay well, but knowing that would forestall your transplant.  : /  
Anyway...I hope for the best outcome.

Thanks for checking in. I know many people here are pulling for you.

willy
Wow, you can get a TP with a MELD of 15 in Chicago? Not to be flippant, but that puts some things into perspective.
Good luck man. Thanks for the update.

d
They are transplanting in WA at MELD 16, with little wait.
The Lasix will alleviate some of the water retention.
The TIPS procedure should make you feel much better.

I know Orphanhawk had a live donor, her daughter , then went on to
treat and is now SVR. I wish this for you and soon.

All my sincerest well wishes for you Magnum, I've seen much of what
you're enduring and it's heart breaking and you're right it's hard to walk, talk and breathe. Im so very sorry.

Sending postive thoughts and prayers
Many Hugs
Elaine
good luck magnum...keep us posted.....billy
Good luck,
Mike