Hepatitis Social Community
Missing Now... was just lost before...unbelieveable

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

OK, everyone knows I post in wrong forums LOL... But that is the Last LOL anyone is going to get now...

Here is the story:
Thursday March 28 was my liver biopsy.. I was told in abt 3 days the Dr would call me with my results...I figured Friday, naw.. Sat, Sun.. naw.. thinking Monday maybe but, probably Tuesday the 2nd..Nope. Weds the 3rd.. Nope... By now I am freaking out of course... grabbed my own gusto and called the GI doctors office today, which is the 7th day... DO NEVER ASSUME... The GI Dr, that ordered the biopsy is familiar with HCV around here, I figured that When the results came in, the office would call to make a follow up to discuss the findings then refer me to a hepatologist.. Sure glad I called them today... They did not even have the report... WHAT ??  They said that it was sent to my primary Dr. I said not very nicely what the (****) are you talking about...??? All she said.. was to call his office. (Slammed phone down) ...and. I proceed to call my primary's nurse and ask if they had the copy.... NOPE..

We would get a copy but not until it was examined by the GI..... But, she did go into the computerized system that all these doctors are hooked into... and said, she can't bring it up.. the hospital system must be down because she has never been "unable" to look anything up ...

Well friends... I CALLED THE HOSPITAL... someone was going to give me something with or without any doctors. They are MY tests, I own them.. GET them ready, and I even want the ultrasound pictures put on a disk...

I wanted to see why they did it in a place that is not the usual...Not on the right side or down the juggler which is standard for liver They took it right where I had a previous surgery, in between, slightly below my chest bone... which is where they fixed my hernia & gerd.. (fundoplication)

Something is messed up.... And I just wanted to just let everyone know, that if it was not for this forum and friends that I have read and met along my travel... I would have just been hung up to dry...  

I would probably been chasing my tail and not found out any of this until my next regular doctors appt on the 18th.

NOTE: I may not know how to interpret what I am going to go and pick up... but somebody out here will know...

Thanks to all... I will continue ......
What I have found is a change in how information is given to you.  I have been told only your Doctor can tell you the results.  The doctor could call you
but I do remember biopsy report, with treatment option, stages and recommendation would be discussed in an appointment with the doctor.  
There is lots of discussion in that first visit after the biopsy and your doctor
it's also observing your mental ability to go through this trying treatment.
There are confidential medical record issues with relaying results over the
phone.  Anyone could call asking for results.  I noticed the GI office stepped
up confidential protection of relaying Hepatitis C Patient information.
I'm very aggressive with getting my health care information... and do!  But
this is what I've learned in the process.
Best To You
Way to go!!!!!! I just don't know how to congratulate you. Great work!!!! Your going to do just great with your treatment. You have gusto!!lol!  
Several things happened to me just like this. Now hector helped me with my pathology report. He seriously interpreted the entire report. I think rpooo can also do that. Can you believe what the medical world is like?? Good luck colorpal, but your on the right track.   Kitty
Best To You
WRONG... you own your tests of yourself. You sign HIPPA. But when you retrieve all your (or anyone else you have authorized to retrieve) records all you have to do I sign a paper, that you want all info pertaining... You most often can wait, spend the money and have the Dr tell you what his interpretation is... but, it is in black & white, he is an interpreter and could say what he thinks is necessary.... But with it in hand... you could ask him what this or that means.... if you see him regularly or have a followup set..

There is not 1 thing that has been done that I do not have a copy of...
Call me a medical paper hoarder... I even have films prior to disks...

Catch is you can not do it over a phone... in person or an advocate on record. Usually new ones are free, old ones might have to pay per page..
( offered a ream of paper once and was frowned upon... but got a discount because I am a smarty pants).... BUT all medical info is yours FIRST  
I never told you you couldn't get your medical records.
Best To You
Hmmm that happen to me once. I was on treatment and had to go to the emergency room. Long story short, they wouldn't give me my records. I had a fight with my doctor and fired him. (crazed and sick from the Riba) and his lack of helping me. When I called the hospital back for my records from that visit all I told them was I fired my doctor and they mailed me my records. I know it sounds strange but everything about going through treatment was strange and a learning experience.The thing that you have to really be aware of, is to make sure you trust and like your doctor because once you start treatment with him, no one will interfere with his treatment plan and if he isn't there for you, you're pretty much on your own, except for and emergency room visit which can be a horror.