Hepatitis Social Community
My liver friendly turmeric stew recipe

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

My liver friendly turmeric stew recipe

Hi All,
Here's a great recipe to help you live long with hepC.

The only 2 mandatory ingredients are:
Turmeric - one of the best anti-inflammatories known to man
Tomato paste - terrific for the veinous system, among other things.  

Other ingredients:
Meat (optional) cut into bite size pieces
All the veggies you can handle, especially the ones coloured orange, red or yellow.  For example I use:
Red or yellow peppers
Carrots
Sweet potato
butternut squash
celery
pumpkin
garlic
ginger
onion (red)
other green squashes
anything else veggie
Veg stock cube (optional) preferably organic and no MSG.

Method:
Put a pan with lid on low heat and brown the meat if you are using it.  Meanwhile chop the veggies and chuck in.  When meat is browned fill pan with water, about to the top of the veggies, and heat to a simmer.  While heating, add the turmeric.  You cannot overdo the turmeric.  Try a rounded teaspoon per person and increase to taste.  After the turmeric add the tomato paste, about a tablespoon per person.  Simmer for at least 30 mins and longer for some meats until the stew is done how you like it.  That's it - very easy.

You might want to wear an apron when preparing this.  I've ruined most of my wardrobe with splatters of yellow and red, but it was worth it.  Buying the turmeric in large bags from a Chinese or Indian supermarket will work out far cheaper than from anyplace else.  Tomato paste double concentrate is best, and easier to manage when sold in a tube (like a toothpaste tube) if you can find it packaged that way.

Happy cooking,
dointime              
I used to cap my own to save money. What a mess !

Here's another way to use the wonderful yellow stuff.

Add 1 gram of powder (half a teaspoonful) to a mug of boiling water and let it brew for for 10 to 15 minutes. Drink 2 cups or alternatively, take 10 ml of turmeric tincture a day.
Looks delicious!  Used to love meat but now I know too much about it's production...  Shitake mushrooms would make a nice and beneficial replacement.  Thanks for the reminder of how great tumeric is for us.
  I like to use the fresh tumeric root instead of the powder. The root looks similar to ginger root, and it always makes me feel super  healthy, as well as the tomatoes. Thanks for posting, I need to be reminded to keep up with my nutrition, I can get lazy
Sounds delish! I read somewhere not to eat mushrooms because its a fungus. I posted asking about what foods are good & which are bad, but I only got 1 response. I love mushrooms & dont want to give them up. Thanks for the recipe!
Kitty
Sorry you only got one response to your question.  Probably because questions about food come round time and time again and eventually fatigue sets in with answering.  That doesn't mean that the question isn't important.  It is vital to living with hepC to go easy on your liver and help it do it's job as much as you can with a friendly non-toxic diet.  I wish the forum had a better search engine as there is already a wealth of information on food buried somewhere in there.  

Thanks folks for adding your great ideas here.  Something for me to try out.
dointime

I tried the Tumeric stew with tofu-delicious. Thanks so much for the recipe.
I thought it looked good and wanted to try it but have been too busy for a cooking experiment.  Looks really good though.

I think over time I would be able to tailor the recipe to suit me, figure out what to leave in and what to leave out and the quantities, type of meat/ protein.

The weather is cooling here and it looks like I'll be cooking more.  I think I am leaning more towards less cooking, more raw.  For a while i had kids living w/ me and I cooked every night.  Lately it's all about ease and speed.

Thanks, I hope to try it sometime.

willy
Hey Willy,

Talking about tailoring the recipe, I didn't mention anything about adding your own favorite flavorings, sauces, herbs, spices, salt, pepper.  That all depends on what you like with the ingredients you've chosen.  Your liver loves the turmeric with or without a dash of tabasco.

My own favorite ingredient for this stew is sliced root ginger which adds a wonderful glowing warmth, rather than something more fierce like chili or paprika.  My overall favorite spice is cardamom pods but their delicate flavour gets a bit lost in the turmeric.  On a cold hungry evening, sweet potato is the ingredient that really hits the spot.

So that's my quick starter,
Happy cooking
dointime

Yes, this is a very versatile recipe-add and subtract what you like but as dointime said the tumeric and tomato paste are musts. I think the sweet potato is a biggie too and the idea of the ginger sound lovely. In a few months when the cold hits Iowa Willy, you will really love its heartiness and warmth. Hearty but not heavy. LOL, I feel like I a doing a commercial!
L'briya-- your health! :-)