Hepatitis Social Community
Need help interpreting Lab results

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Need help interpreting Lab results

Approximately one year ago, my husband was tested to be able to take antabuse for alcoholism.  The tests performed found him in eliglible to take the "medication" - he had Hep C.  Last year his AST (SGOT) was in the normal range.  Still is this year.  His ALT(SGPT) was normal last year and this year, it is close to twice the normal high range.  During this year, his GGT nearly doubled to 175 with 65 being the high Normal range.  I am concerned, he has not been able to get treatment since being diagnosed, but is seeking some help with that as well.  He also has been sober for more than 3 years, so alcohol is not contributing to this.  Thanks for reading.  
"GGT" is a very non-specific test, and for that reason is being dropped from some standard liver panels. Still, given his Hepatitis C status, drinking history, and elevated ALT's (not really that elevated) -- he should probably be re-evaluated with possibly more blood tests, an ultrasound and perhaps even a liver biopsy. Best person to do the evaluation would be a liver specialist (hepatologist). They can be found in your larger, teaching hospitals. They can also take another look at treatment options for his Hepatitis C. There are not doctors in this forum.

-- Jim

I look at the following site for lab result help: www.janis7hepc.com