Hepatitis Social Community
New side effects for me, anyone else?

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

New side effects for me, anyone else?

Well let me add to the growing list of being a poster child of all the side effects.  I am now diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  Doc said Ribivarin can bring out illnesses that have remained dormant (for lack of medical term).  Now on Levothyroxine 25mg for life.  But I will say this has helped so much with the fatigue.  I already am suffering from Anemia so fatigue is my enemy!  Week 9 of Procrit (40,000) and 2 transfusions...ugh!

In addition I was a little lactose inolerent prior to treatment, now I'm full blown and looking at a carton of yogurt gives me a stomach ache.  

On the bright side, even with all the side effects I'm UND on week 12 labs.....hooray!  I will gladly suffer the side effects for the comfort and knowledge that the Tx is actually working this time around.  I was a non-responder 10 years ago on double therapy.

Any one else have these side effects too?  

Yes, my thyroid went crazy during my first tx in 1998 but I think I had a mild case of hypothyroidism to begin with. Good luck
Hey congrats on being UND. I can imagine what a relief that mus be after being a nonresponder! I became Hypo around week 13 (of 48) and have been on Levothyroxine ever since. There is supposed to be a chance that out thyroid will regulate itself and our TSH will turn to normal some time after we stop treatment.

It is a nice thought but I have a feeling I too am going to be on thyroid meds forever. I have to admit though they prevent me from being cold all the time.

Best of luck and I hope you continue to post your progress. :)
My chills went away when we started controlling the RBC with Procrit to build up my red blood cells.  It was caused from the Anemia.  Now I only get them periodically after Interferon injection and even that is becoming less frequent.

I sure hope I'm not the only one that gets freaked out thinking about all the massive loads of chemicals we are adding into our bodies for treatment, the changes to our biology, the side effects and the meds for the side effects.  I feel like a hipocrit being a vegetarian, mostly organic and exercise freak and then loading myself with all these chemicals.  My saving grace is knowing that after the treatment all this will eventually be cleansed out of my system.

I'm learning more about anatomy & biology then I did with 8 years of college and 56 years of living...LOL!  So there's another positive :)

Good luck with your Tx and it's great to share information here with others going through the same thing.

Glad I decided to reach out to others rather than try to do this alone.  Sometimes it takes me a minute to get the light bulb turned on over my head!