Hepatitis Social Community
"Newbie"

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

"Newbie"

Thank-you to all who answe5red so quickly! Hope everyone had a great turkey day! I am very familiar with this virus. My dayghter was diagnosed with it in 2000. Unfortunately, after I moved from NH to NC to help her, she passed away 6 weeks after I got here with a brain bleed. Totally unrelated except for the fact her platelet level was too low. The Doc siad she would of succombed anyway. If anyone lives through a bleed like hers was, they would be a vegetable. So, I am dealing eith her death. She died in 2005. Anyway, because there is no liver damage at all., they are holding off on the biopsy. I haven't received word from the specialty group, but I am sure it will be soon. Holiday and all. I will keep everyon posted with all the details. Thank-you for being there. I was thinking about refusing treatment. My Rhematologist said the virus can attack any orga, or autoimmune system. She thinks that is what is happening. I have RA, and Mixed Connective Tissue Disorder, and she thinks the Hep-C is doing it. She also said the same treatment is used for both disorders, and virus. I am still up in the sir. I am not ready to quit my job yet. Hope to hear from you all soon! Breezy2  
Sorry to hear you lost your daughter in 2005. What a terrible thing to have to endure. You sound strong. I was also "up in the air" on treating until I emailed Dr. Cecil and he said, "If you want to live another 20 years you better treat." So I treated in Sept. 2006 until Sept. 2007. I will find out before Xmas if I'm still undetectable at 3 mos. post tx. I'm doing very well. Good luck to you.  
I'm so terribily sorry for your loss. Words cannot express enough the feeling of sorrow. I certainly hope time has softened the pain you must feel. I'm glad you were able to spend those precious six weeks with your daughter.  
You have a heads up on alot of folks diagnosed with Hep C. Many of us start off completely blind such as myself. SInce you have other issues it might be wise to heed the advice of the specialty group. While some postpone their treatment for whatever reasons, many delve right in.  Those with minimal or no damage sometimes feel they can hold off but like GrandmaA and many others that were "up in the air", myself included, we elected to go ahead with the treatment. It's really up to the individual. As for work, if I was to make a "swag", I'd say 95% of the people on this forum have continued work throughout their treatment. Good luck in whatever you decide!

How awful you've lost your daughter, so very sorry for you. I can not imagine that loss.
And now to deal with your own tx, along with that. Tx can be hard as it is on emotions, moods, let alone with your loss to deal with.

I wouldn't quit before knowing how you handle it at all. I worked 4 weeks in, but now on leave with others covering. It also depends on the type of work. I am still doing the 'paper work' desk type area's of my jobs, just the long hour, physical part I couldn't keep up with. I also feel the easier you can take it on yourself, the better for your body to fight (my thoughts.)

(where are you in NC? I lived in Maggie Valley a couple years. Hope to go back later.)

Good luck in your decisions ahead and again, so sorry.                     LL
I think losing a loved child would be a terrible burden. My heart goes out to you. I'll watch for an update and pray things go your way.

I have heard that biopsy is the gold standard for determining if/how much there is liver damage. It is not completely risk-free, though, so I'd listen to the specialists. Do you know your genotype? This can be a good predictor of how well you will respond to and how long treatment will be and, under some recent guidelines, can obviate the need for even doing a biopsy if damage is not suspected.

GrandmaA - So glad to hear you are UND at 3 mo post. Congrats!