Not Enough
I saw my Doc the other day and I made a comment to her about the fact that they had changed all my Friday appointments, because she was taking those days off. She said that a Hepatologist and NP had quit a year ago and that there was no replacement found, until recently. She said that the other 8 docs had absorbed the patients and she had not had a day off in a year, so she is taking all Fridays off till next year sometime. She told me that there are millions of patients, hundreds of Hep centers and only 14 new Hepatologists a year. I can see a real crisis of care coming, especially as all those million that aren't Dx'ed yet, find out and seek treatment. What do you guys think...Mark
I need a day off too!  :-)  

It sounds to me like your Doc is focused more on herself rather than the needs of the patient.  If this becomes an issue during tx and you aren't getting the attention and care needed during tx, it might be worth switching to one of the other 8 docs in the practice.  I only saw my doc a few times during tx, but I wouldn't want to hear a line of excuses while I'm paying for an office visit.  

Regarding only 14 new hepatologists per year, that numbers sounds unrealistically low, but have no reference to substaniate.  I could believe maybe only 14 transplant hepatologists.
You misunderstand, she was just explaining the shortage of Hepatologists and, because of the shortage, she worked a year without time off. That sounds pretty dedicated to me. She is a great Doc and I trust her completely. I am just repeating what she told me, I really don't know how you can doubt her without facts to the contrary. She had exact numbers, I just don't remember them...Mark
Before you call me on it, I do remember the 14 number...
Yes, I misunderstood.  It's good you're happy with your Doc.
Here is an article from 2010 that mentions that there where only 24 transplant hepatologists in training at the time, so maybe that is what she meant. Ill ask her in 2 weeks...mark

http://www.aasld.org/news/archive/022510/Pages/default.aspx
I don't think anyone calling you out on what you said, but I wouldn't want to hear about my doctor not having a day off in years. Nor would I care who was absorbing the patients.

Believe me all of us here have heard lots of doctors stories.
I hope your's is a good one, but I suggest you keep your eyes open.

My doctor brags on how he only took three weeks off for a hip replacment.
I think if he could have done it on Saturday and come back on Mon. he would have.

Your doctor may be one of the best but consider yourself warned.
No harm intended by any of us.

Reva

Here is one from 2011...Mark

http://www.gastroendonews.com/ViewArticle.aspx?d=Hepatology+in+Focus&d_id=481&i=October+2011&i_id=778&a_id=19469&tab=MostEmailed
A tad defensive are we? I intended nothing negative from my post, nothing. I was not complaining. but I maybe didn't make my intent clear. I feel like I am being chastised for something. I was just repeating what I thought was pertinent information, I guess that I am sorry for that and will try to do better...Mark
I should have called it not enough hepatologists in training...