Hepatitis Social Community
O'Douls

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

O'Douls

I know alcohol is bad, bad for those of us with hep C.  Yesterday I was at a freinds and he offered and I accepted an O'Douls...non-alcoholic beer.  Does anyone know if this is bad.  It doesn't have alcohol, so it seems like it shold be ok. Having drank beer for years and liking the tast, I can see having it especially in the hot summer.
O'Douls contains a certain amount of alcohol. Be kind to your liver, the tx is bad enough without diluting it. I personally wouldn't take the chance. In the large scheme of things tx is not that long to refrain from something that might or might not hurt you in the long run. I read where people here treat 4 or 5 times. WOW! I would hate to think I might have contributed to that with 1 percent alcohol. In my opinion NO, why chance it. I crave wine on a weekly basis. However after going through the SX's that I have there isn't a chance in hell I would risk anything that might make me go through this again. Just my thoughts
I never drank but I believe it has .5-.6% alchohol from reading previous posts on the forum.

Not a good thing to do.
I think Nyquil has much more alcohol in it.  I drank a few of those non alcoholic beers. Personally, I don't think it hurts. On hot summer days, you are right, they taste good!  The most I saw on the bottles is .5% alcohol. You would have to drink a whole lot of them to make one beer. I am sure you will get a bunch of fors and againsts here. To me it is a lot better than drinking that regular beer.
I don't think that little alcohol could do a damn thing to you.  Honestly breathing air is probably more damaging.  If you want to have an ODouls every once in a while go for it.

i am anti anti alcohol and treatment but - seriously that's just taking it a bit too far.

Enjoy it.
i don't like bear, but doubts that amount would hurt,  about the same as a Listerine rinse that does not get spit out.  

Sorry that was kind of graphic!  
In the old times I was a beerlover quit a snoob and an expert actually, the beer to drink was belgium trapist beer nbr one then tjeckoslovakian german austrian and one danish tuborg not carlsberg didn`t like that one, ok if thats the only one awailable i had to make an offer lol. But I liked it so much I had to quit some 20years ago went to AA and i did quit. but now after all this time I think I´ve got more damage from that brainwash then from alcohol and drugs.So I was thinking if i cleared tx I will maybee give the beers a last try. But i didn`t clear and as Long as I have this HCV its 0 tolerans for me, cause I´ve seen tomany who has died 20 30years to early, due to hcv and alcohol.
BTW I´ve tryed some non alco beer some years agoo and it did taste like it is supposed to, I thought, ( quit a frustrating experince actually) Talked to people how brews beer and thay say, and I agree beer needs to have a certain % of alcohol to taste good not to strong and absolotly not to weak.

So my adwice is squesse some orange juice instead while u still having the bug. God bless and be gentle at your self.
Oh for God's sake,  O'douls, really?  Let the man have his near beer for crying out loud.  Sometimes we get just a little too precious on this board I think.  
I have read that non alcoholic beer has about the same amount of alcohol as orange juice. That sounds strange to me but I have seen it somewhere. Regardless, if a person without an alcohol dependency problem wants to drink this stuff reasonably (not 30 or 40 bottles at a time) I doubt seriously that it would cause any hard whatsoever. Bottoms up. Mike
I doubt seriously that it would cause any "hard" whatsoever - the word "hard" should be "harm". Now, does that make sense?
I meant the nonalcoholic beer didn`t taste as it should so why drink something that will only cause frustration. I think u know what I´m talking about Yellow i doubt the others do!!
Personally, I think I think Beck's non-alcoholic beer is much better than O'Douls.

My doc thinks metabolizing a non alcoholic bear is not a problem for me and I am stage 3.  I don't drink a lot of it, but who wants to spend all that time p**ing and not getting high at least.

Eric
that was funny!   No dove il bagno andiamo?
kind of like smoking a cigarette and not getting  a buzz?

You might want to give Sharps a try, to me it has a better taste than O'douls and is also non- alcoholic.
I don't like Sharps or O'Douls, but think St. Pauly Girl's NA is really good! Becks isn't too bad either!
you see what I´m talking about! for a real beerlover its blasphemy to even mention such surrogat stuff
Thanks.  At least this made for some interesting and good light dicussion while I sit here drinking my O'Douls.  I tried a non-alcoholic Coors..yuk.

Had a biopsy on Monday and just waiting for results.

Thaanks again

Too bad you're not in Canada. There are some great Canadian beers and even non-alcoholic Canadian beer from the grocery store is a good thirst quencher.  Enjoy your O'Douls.  To each his own...eh?  :)

.....waiting on the results of your biopsy....

Trish
why take the chance...stay away from it...i drank 1 to 2 beers a day for the last year i was drinking and i just aggravated my hep...and i went through withdrawals when i stopped just the 1 to 2 beers..everyone said it would be no big deal but i think because i drank a lot before i cut down i never really got the alcohol out of me...if you were a very light drinker before then maybe a little alcohol would be fine but for folks that over did it and have hep c i say stay away..sorry for that..good luck on that biopsy....billy
What a wonderful potpourri of opinions on 'non-alcoholic' beer. I just went to the fridge and got out a bottle of O'Doul'S. This "NON-ALCOHOLIC BREW", "A PREMIUM MALT BEVERAGE", "CONTAINS LESS THAN 0.5% ALCOHOL BY VOLUME". (I'm not yelling, but quoting the lettering on the bottle). As, far as likes and dislikes, I guess that's why Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors. To me, Sharps tastes like carbonated Wheaties. Yuck!  :{, Wassup
I was in the supermarket today and came across a Chardonnay with alcohol removed.  750ml bottle with 0.5 % alcohol.  I don't know if drinking non-alcoholic induces you to drink alcoholic beverages or if you simply need something to help you gap over to not drinking at all.  This just seemed one more thing to help with the gap.  When I go to some parties, I drink my fizzy juice out of a wine glass. It comes in a bottle that looks like wine and nobody is the wiser.  Keeps the questions away and nobody hassles me.  This chardonnay looks every inch the real thing.  When I start treatment, mind you..even this goes.  Good luck to you.

Trish