Hepatitis Social Community
PET Scan

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

PET Scan

Have you ever noticed (or maybe this just happens for me) but, have you ever noticed that whenever you're scared about something, something happens to inject a little humor into it?  So tomorrow morning I'm going to get the PET scan that I beg borrowed and pleaded for at the hematologists office.  You know, the one that I harangued that poor nurse prac for to death?  It's to check all of these weird tumors that have popped up (prior to the interferon if anybody is wondering - truly, I'm hoping the interferon may have fixed them, but anyway) these tumors were noted on the MRI I had done the day I began tx.  Before I took my first shot, my doctor made me come in and do this MRI.

Really smart of him in my opinion.  I already had these tumors, but he wanted to get a baseline for how they were before tx and that was a good idea on his part.  What wasn't so great is that nobody bothered to notify me that the doctor reading the report couldn't rule out cancer for one of them and that there was a swollen lymph node of unknown etiology, and that I had some other tumor in there that is from God knows where.  THAT would have been important information to pass along I think.  So... I finally got the report on the MRI from, of all people, my psychiatrist.  That's right.  I know.  

You're thinking to yourself, but that's not right that she should have to do that just to get a report.  But actually, it makes complete sense in doctor language.  My PSYCHIATRIST is the one who referred me to my hep doctor because she had an in with him and could get me a faster appointment (which was really important to me because I wanted to treat within the acute window), so therefore, she can ask for reports and whatnot and get them pretty immediately.  

So anyway, I have the PET scan, and when they set it up, they gave me specific instructions.  Which I promptly forgot.  Until about thirty minutes ago when a girl called from the radiology center and asked if I'd remembered the "special instructions" I said, ummm... maybe you could go over these again for me?  

She said, you need to spend the whole day eating proteins and high fats.  I said, uh, will it hurt that I just ate an entire grocery thing of banana pudding?...

The lady said, No, you're not diabetic are you?  I laughed and said, no.  She said, ok, well just eat the diet I gave you for the rest of the day.

So I'm back on Atkins.  Maybe I can keep it up after the PET scan and lose the rest of the weight I've gained on treatment.  I had lost 9 lbs when they weighed me last week at the hematologist's office so I don't have much more to lose.  But I'm probably one of the only people who has GAINED weight on tx.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know about the PET scan when I know.
Ok that makes sense about tumor. glad there was a baseline done.

Geesh banana pudding sounds good! With vanilla wafers.

Let u sknow how it goes.

Deb
hope things start getting way better for you...I have heard of other people gaining weight on tx, but the consensus seems, for the most part, for people to lose weight...gee I hope it's the latter for me!!!!!
Gosh, Sweetie, As if you needed 'more on your plate'!!! I'll keep a knee bent for you that all goes well with the PET scan. Tumors... BEGONE!!!!! Cease and Desist!!!!! and knock it the f... off!!!!!!! That's tellin' 'em, huh? Huge Huggeroos, Ant B