Hepatitis Social Community
Pepcid of Prilosec for stomach issues w/ Riba

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

I had bad gas build up in my stomach and was quite painful at times.  My doctor said it is from the Riba and to take Pepcid or something similar.  So I did what the doctor ordered and with one Max Strength Pepcid my problem was gone.  Thank goodness because it was getting crazy and making me feel really sick.

My question, based on others experience is there a preference as to whether Pepcid or Prilosec works better for long term use during Tx?
Pepcid AC is an H-2 blocker like Zantac. Prilosec, is a newer generation of acid blockers called PPI's (protein pump inhibitors) that literally shut down most acid production. Prilosec is OTC but you can others like Nexium with a prescription.

As long as your doctor gave you a choice, I'd say go with the H-2 pump if it works.
If it stops working, then step up to either switch to Prilosec (or discuss with doc using  in combination), or ask your doc for an Rx for another PPI like Nexium, Aciphex, etc. Both choices will not interfere with your riba absorption, like an antacid (tums, maalox, etc) potentially could. BTW Pepcid Complete contains an antacid, so probably best to avoid and stay with Max Strength Pepsid.

I tried OTC Pepsid on tx as well as Zantac, Nexium an Aciphex. I ended up on double Nexium for most of treatment but I had a really bad case of esophageal GERD called LPR.  Now, I only occasionally take something like Pepsid Complete -- the one with the antacid -- but now that I'm not on riba (thankfully) no problema.

Glad the Pepsid is working for you.

All the best,

-- Jim
Dee1956 110 days for....guess who?! Comment
Sep 30
Dee1956 commented on Jade59's status
Sep 28
Dee1956 commented on dominosarah's status
Sep 28
Track your weight over time