Hepatitis Social Community
Post Tx Foods and Supplements

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Post Tx Foods and Supplements

I have decided not to take  the cordycep musroom extract and the stem enchance extracts until i at least get my 4 week PCR resuts back.I afraid it may affect the TX drugs that are proberly still in my system.I did take it for the last 3-4 days and im noticing headaches now and im thinking this maybe because these immune boosters may be detoxifying my body too fast.Just hope i didnt screw things up by taking the super foods too early.Anyway,ill wait for my first PCR..
What is that?? I am also looking for something to take when my TX is over. Someone suggested something called silymarin or milk thistle to me, but I have no idea what that is either. It is so difficult to find translations for this kind of stuff...
I waited a week after TX before i started taking the mushrooms and the algae,i think it may be wise to wait a tad longer just in case,milk thistle also has a detoxifying effect,if i were you id at least wait until you SVR before you take it...
Isn't that a bit pointless?? I thought that when I am SVR I was healthy? Wouldn't my liver be OK at that point??
The people who sell this stuff don't think it's pointless. They think it's a goooood use for your money.
Hi Marte,

Silymarin is the active ingredient in Milk Thistle. While it probably won’t cause you any harm, I doubt you’ll receive much therapeutic benefit from it either. There have been a few studies on it; here are several as they relate to Hep C:

http://tinyurl.com/mgxzeo

I wouldn’t think you’d require anything except SVR to return you to health; the rest of this supplement stuff will just take your money. If you have any questions about them, talk with your doctor--

Bill
Medical doctors dont know much about nutrition,they are trained to dispense drugs.
Hmmm... So I should really do nothing when I'm done?? Just sit around and wait?? Starting to feel really nervous...
GOALS: The goal of this study was to examine the effect of a standardized silybin and soy phosphatidylcholine complex (IdB 1016) on serum markers of iron status. BACKGROUND: Milk thistle and its components are widely used as an alternative therapy for liver disease because of purported antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and iron chelating properties. STUDY: Thirty-seven patients with chronic hepatitis C and Batts-Ludwig fibrosis stage II, III, or IV were randomized to 1 of 3 doses of IdB 1016 for 12 weeks. Serum ferritin, serum iron, total iron binding capacity, and transferrin-iron saturation were measured at baseline, during treatment, and 4 weeks thereafter. Wilcoxon signed rank tests were used to compare baseline and posttreatment values. RESULTS: There was a significant decrease in serum ferritin from baseline to end of treatment (mean, 244 vs. 215 mug/L; median, 178 vs. 148 mug/L; P=0.0005); 78% of subjects had a decrease in serum ferritin level. There was no significant change in serum iron or transferrin-iron saturation. Multivariate logistic regression analysis in a model that included dose, age, sex, HFE genotype, history of alcohol use, and elevated baseline ferritin levels demonstrated that stage III or IV fibrosis was independently associated with decreased posttreatment serum ferritin level. CONCLUSIONS: Treatment with IdB 1016 is associated with reduced body iron stores, especially among patients with advanced fibrosis stage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18458640?ordinalpos=5&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Wait until you clear at the 6 month time frame,then you can eat what ever you want,as long as you stay away from tap water and tuna...LOL
Why should I avoid tapwater??
Your kidding right?...if you do just one thing for your health?...drinikng pure distilled or filter water is the best thing for you body and your liver....do you live on a moutian in the jungle?
According to the EPA, tap water contains more than seven hundred organic chemicals that are suspected cancer causing agents. Other common pollutants in our tap water are:

Lead
Petrochemicals
Organo-phosphate residues
Cyanide
Strontium
Uranium
Vanadium
Arsenic
Lead
Copper
Nitrates
Phosphates
Radon

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Dangers-of-Tap-Water&id=1592630

No, I don't live in a jungle, but I live in the forest =P
I allways drink tap water, except when I'm visiting other contries. The store-bought water is so expensive...
That article was just about the U.S.
I actually think it is perfectly safe to drink tap water here in Norway. Tried to google it, but couldn't find anything that said it wasn't. On the other hand I actually found an article that said the tap water actually is healthier than the store-bought water...
The water is polluted even in the north pole.
Its much worse than the public knows,why do you think whales and dolphins beach themselves ...the levels of mercury and other chemicials has their system totally out of whack,they proberly are commiting a form of suicide....the oceans are a toxic waste dump
I refuse to pay for water, too. I have one of those Brita pitchers with a filter that I keep in the fridge. Fill it up from the tap, it drips through the filter.
The brita is not bad,its removes the lead and other heavy metals but not the volitile chemicials...the best water is reverse osmosis filtered or distilled...thats it...but watch out for ,some filters are full of silver
Perhaps you can explain why the industrialized world offers higher longevity than developing nations, while the majority of the people that inhabit these countries drink municipal water from the tap?

Hmmm…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4XhhTF7vRM
Other factors come into play when comparing the death rates of different countries besides the water that they drink...all water is polluted,the whole planet is a mess
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDx5C_6Rf24&feature=related
LOL!!! Conspiration-theories... But anyway: I still won't pay for water, but I could be inclined to boil it before putting it in the fridge.
"Other factors come into play when comparing the death rates of different countries besides the water that they drink."

My point exactly. Despite the fact that we live in a world that suffers from polution, we continue to live longer than the generations before us. How can one chalange our drinking water as an issue, then. Of course it has it's problems, but it serves huge populations at very inexpensive prices, compared to water supplies in some developing countries that *do* carry pathogens such as HAV, etc. Give this subject a rest, eh? Jeez!
Boiling water concentrates the chenmicals in the water,the only good it does it gets rid of the chlorine....BILL...easy my man....all im saying is drink pure clean water,tap water is nit and neither is bottled....drinking tap water is stupid
From what I know, the water in Norway is actually really good, I doubt you'd even need to filter it.

Store bought water is mostly even worse than tap water.
just google tap water in Norway and you'll find lots of info
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Found this at WWF.

"Drinking water throughout Norway is very safe; Oslo’s tap water is among the cleanest in the world."
I want to move to Denmark.looks like the Govt has a really good system to monitor the water for toxic watses,the best on the planet.Now if the rest of the world would do this.

On a national level GEUS completes regional analyses through systematic measurements and modelling of the development in quantity and quality of the water resources. The backbone of these activities is the National Centre for Groundwater and Well data, which has been in function since the Danish Water Supply Act was formulated in 1926 (worlds first), and now contains digital well log data from more than 270.000 boreholes in Denmark. In addition GEUS is the topic centre for Danish Groundwater Monitoring, including the operation of an early warning system for pesticide leaching, and giving the annually updated status of groundwater quality and quantity. Furthermore GEUS is developing a National Water Resources Model which will help to compute the changes in the distribution of the water resources on regional and national level caused by changes in climate, land use, and groundwater withdrawal. Flow in double porous media, soil-water interaction, transport of contaminants and bio-degradation are key fields of research.

http://www.geus.dk/program-areas/water/water-uk.htm

Is Denmark utopia?

The staffing within the water resources area at GEUS numbers a total of 50 - 60 specialists, including PhD's, MSc's, and technicians, which provide consulting services to public and private sectors in Denmark and abroad. This includes Danish as well as international donor projects in Eastern Europe and in developing countries. The project activities are supported by a number of tools and systems which are constantly being maintained and developed and includes the following:
•Geophysical logging techniques
•Hydraulic testing and sampling tools
•Age dating methods and tracer techniques
•Advanced laboratory capability for chemical and microbiological analyses
•Data processing tools and GIS systems
•Groundwater flow modelling
Hold your breath.... there is still chlorine in the water and all the yuk which runs through the pipes. I filter my water anyways.
They add flouride in most cites also....BTW...i want to take my mushroom extracts and algae but i have to wait,im afraid il mess with the meds still lingering arond in my body as you know these super foods have a detoxifying effect as well as an immue boosting property more so than most other foods....think ill just stick with my  organic virgin  coconut oil and my green drinks and my organic whey until i get( IF) the SVR in 2 weeks....im itiching to power trip on the super foods
If you love movies you will get a kick otta this one,make s you think about our current heath system,i give this one a 10/10

http://stagevu.com/video/bunmahzhyuek
No fluoride added in DK, never has been.
They dump flouride into the water here just to get rid of it,its a by product of industrial waste and say its good for our teeth...LOL...flouride is use as a rat poison
There is a substance called Sodium Fluoride, a by-product of the aluminium industry, which has been a major pollutant of rivers and streams since 1900. This product is deadly poison, it poisons all animal life that consumes it, even in small quantities it is capable of causing death, and no effective antidote has been found

http://writerspiece.blogspot.com/2007/08/fluoride-efficient-rat-poison.html
sodium fluoride is an ingredient in the drug of choice for depression Prozac
"I want to move to Denmark.looks like the Govt has a really good system to monitor the water for toxic watses,the best on the planet.Now if the rest of the world would do this."

Problem is, unless you row a boat a la Leif Ericcson, you'll be spewing the very pollution you disdain while getting there.  And if you row the boat, the heavy metal saturated sea water is sure to splash upon your skin.....you might be glowing by the time you reach the shore (but you'll be beefy) . It's like being caught between a Rocker and a hard place!

Ill use my solar power speedboat and put om my oil skin fishing gear.
Every day Americans are subjected to a barrage of advertising by the pharmaceutical industry. Mixed in with the pitches for a particular drug—usually featuring beautiful people enjoying themselves in the great outdoors—is a more general message. Boiled down to its essentials, it is this: "Yes, prescription drugs are expensive, but that shows how valuable they are. Besides, our research and development costs are enormous, and we need to cover them somehow. As 'research-based' companies, we turn out a steady stream of innovative medicines that lengthen life, enhance its quality, and avert more expensive medical care. You are the beneficiaries of this ongoing achievement of the American free enterprise system, so be grateful, quit whining, and pay up." More prosaically, what the industry is saying is that you get what you pay for.

Is any of this true?

http://www.wanttoknow.info/truthaboutdrugcompanies
"The brita is not bad,its removes the lead and other heavy metals but not the volitile chemicials...the best water is reverse osmosis filtered or distilled...thats it..."

Please tell me this is only an issue when the waters ingested orally. Otherwise I'll have to tell Helga the Sweedish nurse to pack her bags, and her suitcases too.....
Sounds like your having a while party Dad
Helga uses water?  Would have guessed coffee light and and two lumps.
You're a nutcase.
Personally feel that eating properly cooked West Virginia Eggs is safer than drinking most water.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc3SEBA-9nU
SEATTLE – A Seattle bank teller has lost his job because he ran down a would-be bank robber and held him until police arrived. Jim Nicholson, 30, who had worked for more than two years at a Key Bank branch near the Seattle Center, says he understands the bank's strict policy that employees comply with robbery demands and avoid confrontations.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090802/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_robbery_teller