Hepatitis Social Community
Psoriasis

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Psoriasis

What can I do about scalp psoriasis until I can get to a /
dermatologist. Has anyone used Tea Tree Oil or anything that was effective, but "natural"

It started on my neck and that is now in control
and my scalp appears to now be involved

Also, is there anything I should avoid eating or add to my diet?

I have good numbers but boy these little sx everyother day will drive you crazy!

Rosebud41  (with too much rose stuff)

(if you see a few missing periods that's because key on my computer is suffering a sx)

Rosebud41

Try TGel shampoo. I had dandruff and bad itching during part of my tx and it helped. It smells pretty bad, but did help with the itching and dandruff. Now if it would stop falling out!
I will take a look at TGEL. I think I saw it at Target that's near my home.

But, I wonder if TGeL will help with psoriasis. My problem is a little worse than an itch.

I can't really is a good look at my own scalp, but I'm pretty sure it's psoriasis.

Recently, had a flare-up on my neck that was controlled with some ointment from a

dermatologist.  My scalp seems to have very thin layer of something in patches.  

Has anyone every used Tea Tree Oil and does it work and how about Vicks?

that somewhere online.

During tx I had a very severe case of what they called plaque on my scalp. It covered most of my scalp and was pretty thick white stuff. ( Yuk) I flaked from it constantly and nothing helped for me not even what was prescribed by the doctor. So I just remained itchy and my head was literally FULL with it. Soon as I finished txing it went away...except for one teeny little piece.
Being that I didnt have much hair all you could see was a "snow covered" like scalp.
IT DOES GO AWAY!

Charm
Rosebud, I have about the same thing that you are describing.  I'm about 7 weeks post treatment and I still have it but it is getting better.  The areas behind my ears that try to start going down the back of my neck still come and go but respond almost instantly to over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream (which I use very sparingly).  The stuff on my scalp is getting better but I still have some days where it seems worse than others.  I have used just about everything there is to try (T-gel, Head & Shoulders, olive oil at night with a shower cap on my head, washing my hair only 2 times a week to prevent extra dryness and nioxin) but nothing really seems to help to a great degree.

I have also read that Vicks can help soften psoriasis but I doubt that it will really do much for us when on Hep C treatment, plus it stinks.  :)  I did also use some shampoo with Tea Tree Oil and it didn't help at all.
I have scalp problems too and use a shampoo bar called ZNP. It's over the counter but you have to ask for it behind the pharmacy window. It seems to help me. Different things help different people though. It takes most of the itching away and flakiness.
My husband suffers with that.  After all the prescription oitments, he is using t-gel shampoo and a tube of (can't remember the name) oitment used for diaper rash.  It has vitamins A, D, E, and Zinc in it.  It really helped the dryness, redness and iching.
I developed seborretic (sp) dermatitis on my scalp and forehead..it was worse post tx than during though-possibly because I was only washing about once a week on tx....who knows..  

My derma suggested using Free and Clear Shampoo and Conditioner (or any type for sensitive skin/scalp)  and stop using all other products entirely.  And she gave me Desonide Lotion 0.05% for my head and Desonide Ointment 0.05% for my neck.

Good luck.

Isobella

oops...forgot to add that I also took atarax 10mg at night to help with the itching.  I still use it for flares.
i hav tryed every antidandruff/psoriasis shamp/con and i dont wash it more than twice a wk,i dont think it helps alot but i hav been using since start of tx and not keen on stoppin so id say dont expect a miricle cure its just the tx but i still use my t-gel aswell so just try em all 1 by 1 and see what works for u,oh yeah and keep ya fluids up,we tend to get very thirsty on tx and if we r dehydrated on tx our skin will get worse.
My mom has psorisis.  She tried Tgel, Nizoral (which works if you just have mild dandruff) and then MG217.  The MG217, tar shampoo, works like heaven for her.  She has to use it for a few days straight if her scalp is really bad then as it gets better, she uses it once or twice a week.  It's available at any drugstore or online drugstores.  
I use to have psorriasis on my scalp. I would slightly wet the scalp & massage a heavy coat of Tgel in & put a processing cap over it for up to 4 hours & rinse. It works. I got this from watching Dr. Oz.