Hepatitis Social Community
Question About Hep C Blood Test>

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Question About Hep C Blood Test>

I am confused about hep c test.

I was tested for hep c, I had HCV ab --------Negative.

My doctor says I don't have hep c. But how can he made that conclusion, since it is only antibody test.

I could have hep c virus for year without having antibody right?

Another possiblity is that incubation period of 6 months,maybe I just got the virus,therefore, which antibody hasn't show up yet?

Isn't HCV RNA test the only way to tell if I have the hep c virus?

Antibody tests -
HCV RNA tests -

THANKS  KINDLY FOR HELP

I agree with you that a single antibody test after recent exposure might not be conclusive evidence to rule out infection. In some cases, seroconversion has been known to take several months.

You might ask your doctor to consider another antibody test in six months after the first one.

You might also ask for a HCV RNA test, which will be more conclusive for identifying active infection (especially recent exposure), but is generally more expensive.

Good luck to you,

Bill
Quit worrying, If you still get a negative hepC antibody test after 1 year it would mean that you do NOT have Hep C.   Even if people don't get the active virus the antibodies show up if they have it.  Although also some may have naturally cleared the virus.  Us who have it and have treated for it may be clear of the virus but the antibody will always show up on a blood test.  

Hi Bill,

you wrote,
"You might ask your doctor to consider another antibody test in six months after the first one"

I plan to take another one in 2 weeks, that will be 1 year since the last test. If I still get a NEGATIVE for antibody, that still doesn't mean that I don't have hep c virus. It just mean I don't have ANTIBODY. Some people never develop HEP C ANTIBODY right??

It still seems RNA Test is the only way to tell,even if I get a NEGATIVE antibody again?

I
Hcv antibody will USUALLY show up on a test within 8 weeks, and 6 months is the outer limit for testing.  If you are antibody neg at 6 months, then you are home free.

The pcr rna test can detect the virus, NOT antibody, within 2 or three weeks after infection.  

The best outcome is to be virus and antibody neg.  Virus neg and antibody pos means you had a prior exposure and cleared the virus but the antibody will be in your system for a LONG time, maybe for the rest of your life.  Virus pos means you have active infection.

I believe people who have SVR have cleared the virus BUT still show antibodies.
Bill and Jackie,

Thanks for the reply :)

I live in Los Angeles.

If my antibody come back NEGATIVE, I start to believe that I have a great chance of not having hep c. Since it's been a year since I last tested. I won't have paranoia anymore.

I am already exhausted dealing with hep b. I can't handle another one.

Are you in treatment for Hbv?
Yes, I had treatment for hepb with epivir few years ago. I had viral mutation and major flare up.

Now I am taking chinese herb to manage my condition. I am waiting for drug that won't cause viral mutation so I can take it for life and not worry mutation.
I am waiting for TENOFOVIR to get approve, it may be the drug.
Husband just took test nurse says hep a neg hep b neg hep c CORE neg but HCV should have been .09 but was i thought she said .011 but maybe .11 she did say that it meant it was for sure a positive HCV.How can the core test be negative?Please help I feel as if death is just knocking on my door and nurse won't even return calls
PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND THE RESULT OF MY BLOOD WORK. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I HAVE HEP C VIRUS.

HBSAG W/TITER (ECLIA)           0.402                               C.O.V. 1.000       NON REACTIVE
ANTI HBS (ECLIA)                      <2.00   IU/L                      C.O.V. 10.000     NON REACTIVE
HBEAG (ECLIA)                          0.137                              C.O.V. 1.000      NON REACTIVE
ANTI HBE (ECLIA)                       1.760                              C.O.V. 1.000      NON REACTIVE
ANTI HAV IGM  (ECLIA)                0.373                             C.O.V. 1.000      NON REACTIVE
ANTI HBC IGG   (ECLIA)                2.730                            C.O.V. 1.000     NON REACTIVE
ANTI HCV (ECLIA)                         0.039                            C.O.V. 1.000     NON REACTIVE

THANK YOU
can some one tell me if i have hep c virus or not im totally confused test results as follows.

24/4/2010    HCV Ab-titer by ELISA                      POSITIVE            

29/4/2010    HCV-RNA-PCR-(QUANTITATIVE)       LESS THAN 600 IU/ML

29/5/2010    HCV (Ab)                                         WEAK POSITIVE

I  have no idea if this means i may have the virus or not i saw a Dr after the last test and he just suggested another test in 3 months but didnt even tell me which test to do again in 3 months

i would be most grateful if anyone can shed some light on this for me of course i want everything to be ok but if it is
not then a least i know driving me crazy at the moment not knowing anything   thankyou all
in 3 months but didnt even explain which test i should retake after 3 months
I'm not a doctor, but it looks to me like you do have hep c. I'd get the viral load done again when your doctor says.

Don't freak out, this disease progresses very slowly. I've been infected for 25 years and am only stage 2 grade 2. It would be a good idea to stop drinking in the mean time though... just to be as safe as possible.
By now your body would have formed some antibodies even if your immune system was really weak, so if you still don't have any, don't worry about it any more.
i been on the new hepc treament 6 months . last 3 blooed tests comes back neg does this mean iam home free my dr wants me to do 2 more months