Hepatitis Social Community
Ribaviran side effects?

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Ribaviran side effects?

My Hubby is on a AbtVie Trial...it is Interferon Free, and includes a couple Protease Inhibitors (Abt 333 and Abt 226 combined with Ritonivir) along with 1,200 mgs Ribaviran...that is a large does of Riba, as heis geno ia (and a CC allele marker)
   He started out with a viral load of 30 million, and his 1 week vl test has him at 60....so hopefully when we get his 2nd week results he will be Undie!
   But....he is SO irritable, and I cant tell if this is a side affect or if it is time for a divorce...haha..just joking!!  He helped me thru my Tx, and now I shall stand by him (but it has been hard for me).
   The problem is:  I am still quite forgetful, from my 28 wk Triple Tx, last year. I had an HGB of 8.8 thru much of my Tx, and did the weeklyProcrit shots...had a hard time walking,or going up stairs.  So I may lack sympathy for him, as his Tx is so much easier then mine was!  
since increasing my riba from 600mg to 800mg a week ago, I am grumpy and angry and I don't know why. It is totally illogical when I look back at some of the things I have reacted to over the past week.  
I am keeping away from friends atm as I'm so grumpy and not good company.
Bo babe you gotta remember last time it was about you....NOW it's about him.  Take good care of him :)
"1,200 mgs Ribaviran...that is a large does of Riba"
1,200 mg is the Normal amount of Ribavirin for the weight of the average American male."Weight based dosage of 1000mg - 1200mg",

I have been taking Sofosbuvir + Ribavirin for 39 weeks way longer than the normal 12 week duration most people taken. Side in most of us are minimal once our bodies adjust to the drug. The only side effect is increased fatigued for me. There are very few drop outs compared in interferon based treatments. If I can do it this long with decompensated cirrhosis and extensive liver cancer for 39 weeks I would say most can do it easily. I know some people who have no side effects at all when they have treated. Everyone's mileage may vary based on your own genetic makeup. We are all different but the odds of anything like interferon side effect are low.

Hector
  Yes,  he does mention he has increased fatigue, and he has pre-existing medical conditions from a motor-cycle accident he suffered: right leg amputation above knee, and many other pains.
   I am a bit worried, as his 2 wk vl load only went down, from 60 to 25,,,4 wk vl test coming up next week, over in S.F.  
   I am feeling like he needs to exercise more, and I am pushing him a bit, with that, and will try getting him to the swimming pool late this afternoon~
   Thank you people, for your input. He is the only one I know of on here,in the AbtVie study, as it is has medical specifications having to do with his other medical issues~ a small study
  By the way, I have those #'s wrong, for the second Abt combo, I only have the Abt 333 pill bottle correct. The other bottle is the one with two protease inhibitors and Ritonavir..I keep forgetting the #'s though ~
Good luck to him!! Your a great gal! You'll take good care of him!! I can imagine its a strain on the family. Wishing you guys the best!!
  Thank-you MzKity.   I think part of the irritability involved with these
Hep C Treatments is not knowing whether or not we will clear and remain Undetected, it is a huge strain.
   The good news is that there are so many new meds for Heppers, on the horizon.  I hope you are feeling better, and have gotten your energy back ^..^
You didn't wait to long to get that hubby on treatment : ).  Good for you both.  He doesn't know how lucky he is to have you right there with all your knowledge.....or are you making sure he remembers.  Wishing you the best with the everyday trials of treatment.  

Don't Worry Be Happy.....Right : )
hi there just wanted to say hello and wish your hubby all the best on the new tx  and yes we all know about the riba rage first few wks of hubbys tx i felt like i was walking on egg shells but you guys helped me through it. Best wishes to both of you and take care luv Jules x
  Yes thank-you, everything fell into place very smoothly :)  I also am learning how to navigate driving thru San Francisco, conquering my fears of Big City driving :)
  Thank you Jules, these Treatments are definitely a '"journey", hopefully ending with a dragon virus slayed
i hope yr hubby does well,you are a wonderful person that welcomed me to this great site!
Hi Bo, I echo above, he did get on tx pretty quickly after you finished, that is great news.
You know you always have us to talk to when you need a shoulder :)

I will try to find others on the ABTVIE,