Hepatitis Social Community
Sharing my eye appt. story

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Sharing my eye appt. story

I am now 6 months post tx. 2 months ago I experienced some weird activity in one of my eyes. This past week I suddenly got one of those floaters and light flashes. Today I had my eyes checked and was diagnosed with PVD ( posterior vitreous detachment). This is good because I feared the dreaded retinal tear or worse.

I am sharing this because the episode 2 months ago, which I describe as a kaleidoscope minute is unrelated to the PVD. It is known as ocular migraine related. DEHYDRATION can cause ocular migraine. Just a heads up.
Cheers,
C
Thanks for sharing, my eyes are scaring me. They are so incredibly dry. I use homeopathic drops and ointment. Kinda funny I look like a newborn with all that goop they put in there eyes.  So how is PVD treated?
Here is a link to an article that explains PVD:

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/posterior-vitreous-detachment

"Posterior Vitreous Detachment

Many retinal detachments are associated with posterior vitreous detachment (PVD), a common condition in which the vitreous gel shrinks and separates from the retina.

Posterior vitreous detachment usually results from normal, age-related changes in the vitreous gel. But PVD can also result from eye injury or inflammation caused by surgery or disease. PVD most commonly is seen in people age 60 and older. But it may begin to occur as early as about age 40. And it becomes increasingly common after age 50.

As you age, the vitreous gel in the middle of your eye begins to change. The gel's normal structure breaks down in a process called syneresis. Parts of the gel shrink and lose fluid. The fluid collects in pockets in the middle of the eye, and thick strands of the gel form and drift through the eye. These strands appear as floaters.

Sometimes these changes cause the vitreous gel to shrink suddenly and separate from the retina. This is called posterior vitreous detachment.

Posterior vitreous detachment usually does not cause any problems, but it can sometimes cause tears in the retina. At points where the vitreous gel is strongly attached to the retina, the gel can pull so hard on the retina-a process called traction-that it tears the retina. The tear then allows fluid to collect under the retina and may lead to a retinal detachment.

The main symptoms of PVD are floaters and flashes of light. It is important to pay attention to these symptoms. A sudden change in these symptoms could be a warning sign of a retinal tear or detachment.
It is good that your eyes are fine. Hope they stay that way. Floaters can be scary, especially showers of floaters and the light flashes. I know it scared me when it happened.  
A sudden change in these symptoms could be a warning sign of a retinal
tear or detachment.
_________________________________________________

A retinal tear looks like you are watching a slow small bleed.  It's confusing because the bleed is black not red.  If you see black spots getting bigger...
get to your eye doctor.  Mine referred me to a retinal specialist.  The doctor
fixed it and I went right back to work.  I was amazed the fix was so fast.
I have my eyes checked every six months now.  Last time I went I told
the doctor I had just finished Hepatitis C treatment.  I asked her if this was related to Hepatitis C or treatment.  She said No.  She also told me that her
mother has hep c and got it from acupuncture needles.  She said 5 % of the population are prone to getting retinal tears.
Thanks pooh I read about it last night and saw wear it usually is nothing. But I must not of read the part about it can possibly cause tears in the retina. This stuff bothers me because I didn't get an eye exam before treatment. It was in the middle of insurance (every 2 years) but we could of paid for a basic eye exam. That was the old doctor, and i wasn't aware of the eyes being affected by treatment.
There is nothing necessary for me to do right now. I am glad I had this checked out and now I understand more about the anatomy of the eye. The floater may dissolve a bit and the brain starts to ignore it. I think seeing these arc like flashes of light when I turned lights off at night, scared me.
Apparently, when the vitreous pulls away from the retina, there is a possibility of tearing. And if there is a tear, early tx is very important.

So, the floater and light flashes go hand in hand.
The other incident is separate, when I was having temporary vision confusion in that same eye. I was not having headaches but the diagnosis is called ocular migraine. Dehydration can contribute to that.

Stuff happens, especially as we get older, and now I'm a little more keen on eye health. Never  thought too much about eye health.

@pooh, thanx for posting the info above.
C