Six Months Post Treatment
Hi everyone, I just wanted to share my good news.  My doctor's office just called to let me know my 6 month viral load check is undetectable.

I posted here back in 2011 with questions when I was researching hepatitis C to determine my chances of clearing the virus.  Being an African American I knew my chances of clearing might be more difficult given the stats.  So when the new medications were made available I decided it was time. I started treatment in March 2012. I was on triple therapy with Incivek, Ribavarin, and Interferon.

My HepC profile:  
Genotype: 1a,
IL28B: CT
Viral load: 275,866.  

My worst side effects were anemia, weakness (contributed to the anemia), itching, and low absolute neutrophils (ANC). Both Neuprogen and Procrit shots were added to treat the anemia and ANC.  I also was prescribed Hyrodoxydine to help relieve the itching. In all, I had a reduction of Ribavarin for 7 weeks and 2 days from a 1000mgs to 800mgs. I took the Neuprogen for a total of 14 shots throughout treatment and the Procrit for 10 consecutive weeks. The Hydroxydine was also taken off and on throughout treatment.

Medical Incidents:  Six hours after my first Interferon shot I experienced chills and vomiting, the second and third shots were followed with nausea and headache.  Eighteen days into treatment I began itching.  The itching lasted throughout treatment but was under control as long as I kept the Hydroxydine in my system every 4 to 6 hours. The itching did go away about 3 weeks post incivek.  Four weeks into treatment I had to have a blood transfusion due to anemia.  About 10 weeks into treatment I ended up in the emergency room because I passed out due to dehydration even though I thought I was drinking plenty of water.  

I would like to encourage all those currently on treatment or about to start treatment that although it may be hard it is so worth it.  I'd also like to thank all those on this forum as it became my lifeline before, during and after treatment.  Because of all I learned here, I was able to go to my doctor with notes in hand and both inform and query them on the new medications and protocol for the treatment of the side effects.   I was able to do this because of all the experience I got from all of you.  A big thank you to all.
Wonderful news. Congratulations!
I am really glad you posted. Your post may give more hope to others who are considered more difficult to treat (1a, CT, African America). If you had a liver biopsy, I am curious as to the grade and stage as well as when it was done. Obviously you were UND at week 4 because you did 24 weeks instead of 48.

Your SVR is truly great news. Have a wonderful Hep C free future.
Thanks Pooh.  I had a biopsy on March 2011.  The inflamation grade was 1 of 4 and the fibrosis stage was 1 of 4. Yes, I was undetected at week 4, 12, and 24 and 3 months post.  
Thanks. Again, I am so happy for you.
Congratulations!  Very good news.
Congrats !!!! its always nice to see another person post good news happy  health  trails to you
This is awesome news!!
This is great news!  Happy for you
Be Happy.  Have a great hep c free life.
Excellent ! Congrats !A SVR well deserved .
  Hey, thank-you for keeping us up-dated and congrats on your SVR!
The Incivek is giving African Americans a much better chance of SVR, and it is important for us to get that good news out to the public.
   My situation was very similar to yours, (except I'm caucasian,
Wow, I remember your earlier post. I am so happy you have kept us updated! Very encouraging news.
Congrats on a job well done!
congratulatins for SVR you must be thrilled. Go out and enjoy your new life love cheflady from England