Hepatitis Social Community
Swollen Abdomen

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Swollen Abdomen

Hi All,

Has anyone's abdomen swelled.  My has done this now on a few occasions.  I wasn't sure if I was just eating too much as my energy level has been so down and I've been eating whatever is easiest.  Some days by belly region feels normal and others (like today) it's so swollen I can see it through my clothes.  I did read in the Pegasys supplement something about your stomach swelling, but this isn't on my left side, it's really high up right in the middle.  Thanks for your help.
I haven't had abdominal swelling.  

Actually, since starting TX 14 weeks ago, I've noticed the opposite happening - belly is LESS swollen - but that's probably coz I'm eating less and not drinking any alcohol.

I did read somewhere that fluid can build up in the stomach and/or the ankles.  I think it's called ascites but I'm not sure.

Someone else will probably chime in with more specific info.

You're not in PAIN, are you?

Yes, these issues have been reported and have had some problems myself. Started during treatment but became more noticeable after treatment when I got back to my pre-treatment weight.
swollen stomach can be asceties... fluid buildup from lack of albumin a chemical made in the liver that keeps the viens from leaking fluid... it's from the liver damage not the treatment... ???if it's asceties???  it may be something entirely different so you should give the liver doc a call on it... if it is asceties they will put you on a very low salt diet and give you water pills.... and they will keep a closer eye on your liver at that point...

what stage/grade liver damage do you have?  have you gotton your biopsy yet? usually asceties only happens with cirhosis or serious liver probs... so if your isn't that advanced its probably something different... your liver doc can tell the difference though...

here's some great sites you can get info about it at...

http://forums.delphiforums.com/liverfailure/messages
http://janis7hepc.com/index.htm
You definitely want to bring this to the attention of you treatment doctor or a GI if you're not treating. "Black" stool could be something you ate or it could represent something more serious such as bleeding. But even if it's not blood, you still want to find out the cause of the bloating. Your doctor will want to examine you, take a stool sample and possibly order more tests. Because of the dark stool especially, I'd make an appointment right away but try not to worry too much because again it could just turn out to be something in your diet.

-- Jim
I was in a lot of pain Friday night on my left side under my rib cage.  It felt like my ribs were being spread apart.  By the morning it was gone.  Now all day Saturday my abdomen was so swollen even my neighbor could tell.  Now today its not swollen anymore but now I've noticed (sorry about this) a black stool.  I've read (somewhere) black is bad, but can't remember how bad.  Sorry about the gory details!  

I really appreciate any help with this!
a tarry looking stool can be indicative of esophigeal varises that are bleeding from pressure from portal hypertention... based on everything you are saying i would say you need immediate care, like as in the hospital or imediate care from the liver doc... it sounds like you could have internal bleeding going on too... and that is nothing to fool around with. the above sites have info on black or they call it tarry stools... please forget about us just go to the doctor... if the bleed is serious folks can bleed to death quickly... never mess with bleeding out...

of course i'm no doctor and it could be absolutely nothing... but it doesn't sound like nothing...

God bless you and get some attention asap!
I did the same thing a few weeks ago. I was really thinking black stools were only caused by internal bleeding, and several people chimed in to say Pepto-Bismo caused black stools. Another person once asked if the stomach swelling could be ascites/cirrohsis since they had no other swelling in the legs or ankles. I said cirrohsis caused swelling in more parts than just the stomach.
Then someone with cirrohsis said they only had a swollen stomach, no where else. I'm going to quit playing dr!
Wouldn't ascites mean that her abdomen would be constantly swollen, not just on "a few occasions" as mentioned?  I don't have the answer to this, just raising the question. Yes, she should see a doctor right away, but maybe no need for alarm at this point. It could be something more benign like food allergy, IBS, etc.
I am a geno 2a, stage 2, grade 2, and have had HCV for 21 years.  I started tx for the first time last year and completed only 6 weeks.  During that time I was having some rectral bleeding and they confirmed that with a occult (sp?) test and then did an upper and lower GI.  They didn't find anything with the scopes, and I thought the whole thing was such a waste of time.

I am on my second round of tx and am at 5 weeks.  I don't have any bleeding now and I feel better than I did last time.  Last time I tx'd with PegIntron and this time I'm on Pegasys.

Thank you guys for your input and for being concerned.  I'm just so unsure if it's really something bad or really nothing to be concerned with.  Either way I will call my GI tomorrow and let him figure it out.  Thanks again for being there!
Good.  

Talk to the Dr. tomorrow and let us know what he says.

When I had black stools it was because of the pepto bismol the nurse told me.
I've not had the swollen abdomen, but my cousin had it. He was stage 4.
of course it could be nothing and i pray that it is, but if someone comes to a hepatitis board with black stools and swollen abdomin (abdomen) i think better safe than sorry they should get medical attention quickly... just in case...

no one wants to scare anyone but also no one wants to send anyone away thinking thier just fine and it could be very serious... i've read alot about the ascites and varises and with the black stools they always say to immediately call the doctor...and actually for those with confirmed end stage liver disease they tell them to immediately go to the hospital...

so i always get alarmed when someone comes on saying black stools or bleeding out. if a person does have the bleeding varises they don't have much time to waist... they could bleed to death very quickly if its bad...

so i'm sorry if i alarmed you sunshine but you are smart to get it checked with the doctor as soon as possible...

i really pray its nothing... did you have pepto bismal? i think i missed that... eating beets can make funky poop too... yikes, have you ever seen that????  

Blessing to you sunshine,
sandi

hi ladybug, cute name!!! yup i agree with you... i'd rather be wrong than see someone had bleed to death and i told them it would be fine... yikes!

have a great day and sunshine let us know what you find out... but, please don't over worry until you know you have a real reason to worry... what stage liver damage do you have? have you had a biopsy? cause if your damage is a 1 or 2 i really don't think you would have those yet... but the doc will know whats up...

i'm praying for you...
Oh I agree, it's better to be safe than sorry! I was on here the morning Sfbaygirl was complaining of blood in her stools. It was like "Go to a dr. quick!!!" I'm just saying I have given advice out of concern and been wrong, but it's still better to be wrong than not alert someone to the possibilities.
Jim said Started during treatment but became more noticeable after treatment when I got back to my pre-treatment weight.

DITTO DITTO DITTO DITTO.

ARGH!  Just when you think it all should be over something new pops up LOL but if that is the cost of SVR...I'll take it (but I'll still complain like crazy!) ;)
OMG - Traveling in Europe I bought a great big tub of cold beets. Enough to feed 8 I'm sure. So I had like half that night, and finished it up for breakfast (thinking I'm gonna be strong like Rocker) and boarded a flight to Paris.

Not only did I have the plum colored poo - it was so red it was only red when it was spread real thin (nice graphic, huh?), but my pee went a rust color too. I tried calling my nurse in CA in the middle of the night from Paris cause I didn't want to make the call while my 7 yo was awake. I was waffling back and forth between being sure it was beets and seeing myself being rolled into a Perisian ER with end stage liver failure. What a hoot!

As for the orginal poster, I think it's a benign GI disturbance but medical evaluation is essential.
hahaha! crack me up! my hubby told me of a time he ate RAW beets... aparently thats worse!!!

when i was a baby my mom told me my artistic abilities were really apparent when i made a pic on the wall next to my crib!  ya know i could have really used the beet info then for a little color variation!!!

hahaha!
yes ok... it was a finger painting!!! lol!
Bloated stomach and stool color - I have a history of both colon cancer (dz 2002) and cirhotic liver (dz 2006) As a general "rule of thumb" if stools are black and tarry bleeding is occurring in or above the stomach (ie. esphageal varices) if the color is bright red, "rule of thumb" is that bleeding is occurring beneath or past the stomach.

As for the bloating this one is (as I see it) a double edged sword - 1 school of thought is to consume as much water as possible to aid with flushing toxins, at the same time another school of thoght is to drink only as much water as needed to minimize abdominal swelling  
Various Causes of Black Stool
But what causes this upper digestive bleeding in the first place? The most common cause of Melena is a bleeding peptic ulcer, although other biological causes exist, such as gastritis, esophageal varices, or a Mallory-Weiss tear.

An ulcer, a sore of the stomach lining caused by a bacterial infection, can become aggravated and bleed. The overuse of certain NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) can also cause peptic ulcers, which can lead to bleeding again, and thus black stool.

Gastritis, or an inflammation of the stomach lining, can cause black waste to appear. Likewise, ruptured esophageal varices, the dilated veins in the lower esophagus’ wall, can create a black bowel movement. A much more rare condition called a Mallory-Weiss tear can also lead to blackened waste. This last malady occurs when the esophagus-to-stomach connective mucous membrane tears from violent coughing, intense vomiting, or other spasms and convulsions.

Melena can also occur in newborn babies a few days after delivery if they swallowed a bit of their mother’s blood while still inside the womb. This is not a cause for concern, however, and will clear up on its own as it naturally passed out the baby’s body.

Although Melena isn’t considered a medical emergency, proper medical attention and treatment is strongly advised. Call your doctor once you’ve discovered you are producing black stool, especially if you haven’t taken iron supplements or bismuth medication or recently eaten inordinate amounts of blueberries and black licorice.

Bear in mind that just because you notice a black bowel movement after consuming these products does not mean you have true Melena. Black stool caused by blood can be diagnosed only by a qualified physician, usually through a fecal occult blood test, which is collected by the patient at home and then examined by a medical lab. If Melena is properly diagnosed, other tests such as x-rays, a colonoscopy, a gastroscopy, or blood tests may confirm the underlying cause of the condition.

http://www.colon-cleanse-constipation.com/black-stool.html

ive had the same exact things as you. im only 14 what could this all mean
My father has this prob also.
His stomech has been swollen and looking easily.
i want to know what i should do??
I am worries about that??
mr.usman_exp***@****
hi, my mother is 55 and in the end stages of liver failure caused by hep c. she found out she had hep c a few years ago via transfusion in the 70's. interferon didnt work. her body couldnt handle it. She currently has ascities. she has fluid removed every other week approx, she has water on the brain which makes her confused (this occurs when toxins & fluids are up) she has been banded in the throat, she has open sores, scarred skin, her spleen enlarged and kidneys now affected. when she has a hepc flareup shes flu like, temp etc. she sleeps alot, her days & nights are flipflopped, shes been this way for the past year. its horrible to watch. just recently shes been getting tapped every other week (the fluid comes back faster & faster) the spleen & kindeys are also recent. this is my situation. I dont know when she'll pass. should be soon. I do know your hubby should be on a liver friendly diet (no red meat, high protein, fruits veggies, low sodium, no alcohol, etc) just sharing.........
my husband just got biopsy read today and hep c came back, he has been expierencing continous swollen and tight belly with shortness of breath cause  of the pressure on diaphragm, bp has risen , blood sugars are now out of control , when he is not working he sleeps 17 out of 24 hours a day, liver is enlarged, will see gastro doc on tuesday,  ct scan shows no acites (ascites) , which is baffling , why is belly so big and tight?, his blood has been checked every year for this , and it showed he was free of the disease, but it has sneaked up on us. has a feeling of fullness often and cant eat, urine is a little dark, has anyone else have these symptoms, how bad is hep this time?, when he discovered it 6 years ago by accident, he had no symptoms and took interferon treatments till it was cleared up.
Usually belly swelling is due to ascites with hep and cirrhosis, but could be that the swelling is body edema and that combined with the enlarged organs is putting pressure on his diaphragm.  

Biopsy of the liver is usually not done to look for hep c, but to measure liver damage.  Did the liver biopsy reading give you a Stage and Grade for your husband's liver condition?  Those are the numbers in a biopsy that would help with getting information about if things are good or bad.  Also his lab results and numbers may also help in finding that out.  

You also mentioned that your husband was checked every year and "free of disease", but 'it has sneaked up on us'.  Being free of symptoms does not mean that hep c has been "cleared up".  Hope that helps answer  your questions.  

By the way, you added your question on and old post, which oftentimes people don't notice.  You might find you'll get more reading and responses by starting your own question, and you might also find the medical hepatitis c forum helpful:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Hepatitis-C/show/75

Best of luck to you and your husband.