Hepatitis Social Community
Thank you all for my Sofosbuvir question :)

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Good Morning to all,

Thank you for all your post. I don't mean to start any debates amoungst everyone, even though debates can be a good thing. It gets the blood going!

Didn't get much sleep last night and have realized that bottom line is I have to get on my knees and ask God for guidance. I know he will turn me in the right direction and will see me through the valley of decision. It's so hard because my family has always seen me be "The Strong One" in all family crisis and I always tell them to let go and let God but now that it is about me, I am lost and turning around in circles. I will continue to try and understand all this stuff about this new treatment but even though it sounds good my mind keeps telling me to start now. So more phone calls and foot work to be completed.

Have a wonderful day everyone and DECLARE YOUR VICTORY TODAY!
Yeah, sorry the turn that thread took but I actually learned a lot so I am glad we have a little free spirited debate on here. The decision to treat or wait is not an easy one. As you know from being around the forum for a while treating now (with cirrhosis) potentially means mentally preparing oneself for a year of lousy side effects. And for some of us it meant making sure we had a plan in order so we did not have to work as many hours.

I think you are doing the right thing and I admire you for doing it. You see how many people join and have posts like, "I start triple tomorrow and I wonder what to expect. I work full time and ..." Then depending on their circumstances some people are freaked because they made no arrangements. You are sparing yourself that and learning what you could face now if you proceed or just how long you would have to wait if you decide to wait. That is way more research than I did treated the first time. I was unprepared and learned things on the fly and after the fact. I would not wish that on anyone so my hat is off to you for doing all this in advance!
Have a great day :)
Thanks Idyllic for boost. Sometimes I think I am asking stupid questions but I am learning so much. Yes, I have caculated all my time at work like vacation, unused sick, comp, etc.. including short term and sick pool leave and all together it should get me about up to 10 months worth and have already put things together and asked my boss if I could do certain things at home so that I can maybe extend that time by not using hours off. My hubby already putting in overtime to fill the piggy bank.Bought CD's about testimonials and what to expect for the family to watch. I do not want anyone blind sided by what MIGHT happen. They all say "oh, your going to be alright" YES, i am going to be alright BUT we all have to be on the same page. So yes, i am trying to line all my little duckies in a row....LOL, my husband just laughs at me and smiles and tells me, "Honey, no matter how bad or angry you say you might get, I will be here for you. And than he says, "and besides, I will just Hog tie you and throw you in the closet until you calm down" LOL.....He will keep the laughter coming in. Thatis  what I am counting on him to do. I am pulling on everyones strengths and assigning them each a task. Together we will get through!

I still do not feel comfortable with the doc I went to on Monday. So I am going to walk into the Alamo Medical Research building today instead of calling. I have called and left messages but no response back. I want to make absolutely sure I have a Hepatologist. I asked the doctor Monday if he was indeed a Hepatologist and he said that he is a GI but they are a team there with a Hepa on board. Soooooooo???? just not comfortable yet. One more try and than I go forward!
No questions are stupid questions. It is always best to know as much as possible about what one is about to do. Treating Hep C is serious and one does need to know as much as possible about Hep C, the treatment, the prognosis, and the side effects. I think it is a good thing that you are checking out your doctor more thoroughly and that you are wanting a Hepatologist. Having a good doctor is crucial with this treatment, especially since you have Stage 4. In fact, as you know, because you have cirrhosis, you should be under the care of a Hepatologist who is affiliated with a large medical center/transplant center. It is also advantageous to have your time planned so that you can take time off if needed. It sounds like you are preparing well for treatment.

Keep us posted. And, Best of Luck to you going forward.
Wow your doing a great job getting prepared. Pooh has a list that's pretty much on the spot about how to get prepared, if you get down to treatment launch!! I'm glad your doing the Dr. research. I didn't! I took the first recommendation. Didn't care for him, but family said he was ok!! Yikes!! So that's how I got here, posted my question and Hectorsf and Idyllic guided me to go forward and get a new Dr. So I'm glad your doing this, I know Willy (responded to your post) was correct you should listen to your Dr. I can't tell you to treat because your cirrhotic. But your doing good research you'll get your answer.
You asked me about side effects. I'm a geno2b. Treatment is with riba/peg shot. There is not a third drug involved with mine. My odds are better of clearing. But I still had side effects. It's like I said were all different. But I think the main one with most of us on here is "tired". Also some days are better than others. You'll get tons of support on here. I'm praying for ya!! Keep us posted!!!      Kitty
Yes, Yes, Yes! walked into the Alamo Research today and was able to book an appointment them to see an ACTUAL HEPATOLOGIST!! THIRD TIME IS A CHARM THEY SAY...

I DECLARE MY VICTORY TODAY! DETERMINATION WILL GET YOU ANYWHERE!