Hepatitis Social Community
Toothpastes burns my mouth!

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Toothpastes burns my mouth!

At times I have a real problem with spicy foods, even salt. My mouth starts burning and it really hurts. Lately the toothpaste, colgate and aquafresh burn my mouth so much that it takes several minutes after brushing for it to stop. Any suggestions?
Get some Sensodyne or something. I have that too.
Thanks! I will try that. Does your mouth burn like this all the time or just sometimes?
Thats one of the reasons I lost so much weight, I could not eat anything! It was either too salty, to spicey, too something.
I love my coffee (coffee freak) and could not enjoy that cuz of the sensation that I was suckin on a roll of quarter most of the time.

Post tx now,.......I have my starbucks everyday.
I dont know what to tell you, nothing worked for me.
I just had to get used to a very limited diet.
Everything seemed spicier mintier and hotter to me. I really think my toothpaste burns too. I have to be really careful when I brush my tongue to make sure all the toothpaste is off my brush or I can't get the taste out of my mouth forever. I have tried sensodyne but the texture gags me.
I was thinking about just water or use baking soda, but I am sure that would burn too.
Some days worse than others. Some days it hurts to talk.
It seems to be better now, but earlier in treatment it would bring tears to my eyes.

No way can I eat any kind of spicy foods or peppers of any kind either.

I have always been sensitive to toothpaste, I remember telling my Mom it burns my mouth as a kid.
I hated Crest, it was the worst. Colgate was a bit better. The ones they have for "sensitive mouths" are fine. I find Tom's to be one of the worst ones, unfortunately because it is good toothpaste.
At times it feels like the roof of my mouth is torn up. But sometimes I can eat Indian Food! Horseradish isn't so bad at times, but forget pepper. I have always been sensitve to peppers, but now even black pepper and salt bothers me. Well I could stand to lose a few pounds, but no matter how I little I eat I lose nothing! Maybe the lack of excercise? Ice cream sure feels good in the mouth, but I gave that up after a the first few months of tx. I didn't gain a lb eating tons of it, but now I am, go figure.
I also experiece the burning in my mouth. It is almost like a metalic reaction or something. My poor husband ask me how something tastes and i have to say like metal. I'm so off the coffee too. In Canada we have Tim Hortons Coffee and i was an addict for sure. Now all i taste is chemicals. I'm really battling the food thing. I can't afford to lose too much more weight. One thing i found that works is Pasta or really bland rice dishes.
as for brushing my teeth i use as little toothpaste as possible.
I have a hard enough time having an appetite, but I do try the bland food. End up eating a few bites. I may have to go back to the Ensure. It's maddening though as I am gaining weight!
I was doing the ensure before, had a hard time getting it down. The Dietician at my clinic suggested Carnation Instant breakfast. I mix it with whole milk and i only use the vanilla. I think it is avaliable in the U.S. It is also alot cheaper than Ensure and has more vitimans and stuff. It kinda taste like Vanilla "metal" to me. Not as strong as "Chocolate metal". All kidding aside, when you find something that works....do it. We need our strength to fight this.
I have the same problem. I bought Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash, which is specifically for dry mouth and is very gentle. I can't say it really helps that much with dry mouth, but it doesn't burn like ordinary toothpaste and alcohol based mouthwash.
Where can you get Biotene?
I bought some of that toothpaste made by Burts Bees at the health food store. Its not what I usually use but its very bland. I can't eat anything spicey anymore either. I'm sure its the tx. I miss my hot curries!
   Another gorgeous day, eh? I'm headed back to the deck to soak in the rays.
I just picked it up at the local pharmacy. My mouth was so sensitive to just about anything, just like you described (even salty food). And I usually love hot and spicey foods, even jalapenos and thai chili peppers.  Anyway, I didn't know about Biotene ahead of time, I just looked around on the shelves at the pharmacy and found it. And if you can't find it locally, just google it and I'm sure you'll find a zillion places online selling it. In the meantime, I'd suspect brushing with baking soda would be pretty mild. Plus it would neutralize the acids that normally eat away your teeth (which are a waste product of the bacteria in plaque eating sugars).
I have a sensative mouth now too. Mouthwash kills me, and I'm totally staying away from spicy foods now. I usually love Mexican, Hot Italian, etc., but I just can't do it right now. Last week it was so bad that I had to go check my mouth. The tip of my tongue had a few little white dots on the tip of it, and I found out that those were what were really sore. I rinsed 2xday with peroxide for 2 days & they went away. Even now tho, something that tastes spicy to me isn't spicy to the rest of my family. weird huh?
Yes I had to use Biotene toothpaste during tx and got it at Walgreens.  My mouth was so sensitive and I always had at minimum at least 2 or 3 canker sores which did keep me from eating as much.  
  My mouth burned and was raw thrrough my whole course of tx. i could use only biotene toothpaste and mouth wash. They are truly A gift from god. I could not even eat an orange.....
I think we do have that here...and I love milk! Yes, I agree we have to eat enough to keep up the strength and get enough fat for the Riba. I tried the ensure that has extra calories, that stuff was too think and I don't need them. Too bad peanut butter is off my list and living in a hotel, I don't have a whole lot of choices in my little frig. Room service is nice, but I can't eat much, so it's a waste. Moving next week to an apt. with a kitchen. Maybe that will help.
I started using different "sensitive" teeth toothpastes to find what was best and Colgate for sensitive teeth had the best flavor, didn't burn and has a whitening agent in it also. so now that is all I use.
Sorry to hear you cannot eat your favorite foods. Or brush your teeth with your usual toothpaste.  I hear ya. I switched to Crest Cinnimon Rush toothpaste and I can tolorate that . I cannot not eat things with tomatoes sauce either,   mexican or spicy.  Also tangy things , like lemonade, orange juice or citrus.  I tried to eat a piece of pink grapefruit the other day, and that burned too.   The blisters on the roof of my mouth went away, and determined that was from sweet tarts., so no more of those.  

Yesterday was my birthday, and when I woke up , Mike was standing at the side of my bed, holding a carvel Ice Cream Cake.. mmmmmm    He sent me flowers at work twice last week.. Valentines and then on Friday for my birthday.  They are sooo beautiful .  Then my step daughter came over and straightened up the house and took me for lunch.   By the time we got back here , I was ready for nap.   I layed down and felt my lips were really hot.  Took my temperature and was at 101.9 again, last saturday after shot was at 102.5.  Had to take a cool shower to cool down.  I take the shot on friday nite, and by saturday, I am usually hanging close to home in my PJ's.    Try the Cinnimon toothpaste..

Biotene toothpaste was what I used when my teeth got real sensitive.  Biotene makes a numbing gel, I think - like Ora-gel.)  What helped me most (if your doc will prescribe it if your mouth pain gets really bad) is something called viscous lidocaine.  It's a mouth rinse - real thick, with lidocaine, and it'll numb you up real good for about 20 min (and it felt so good to feel .... nothing!)

Hope you feel better soon!  
I got Biotene at Wal-Mart. I could not stand to drink Ensure either. I took it all back to the stores. My favorite is Goatein (full of protein) by Garden of Life. You can get it the cheapest at Vitamin Village (it is expensive).

I cannot eat peppers but for another reason - arthritis on one finger. No nightshade plants.
Spicy foods are not good for the liver. Wait until tx is done.
How about one of the fruit flavored toothpastes?  I believe Crest makes several flavors, orange is mild. I have it for my grandkids who do not like any strong tasting toothpaste.  LEt us know hat you find out.  Take care
If teh Burts Bees doesn't do it, you mmight try John's Juice....
I had this problem so bad I couldn't stand it anymore.

I finally went out and bought KIDS TOOTHPASTE - one of the kids flavored kind.  I had NO PROBLEM using that and it was so much better than nothing. Of course it wasn't mint but instead bubblegum or strawberry (I had several)

That was the ONLY thing that worked for my mouth pain.  I had ZERO!