Hepatitis Social Community
Unknown chronic liver enzymes

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Unknown chronic liver enzymes

I am 44 years old. I have had elevated liver enzymes on and off for over 15 years. The ALT and AST have at the most doubled. I have celiac disease and have avoided gluten for 8 years.

My last alt was slightly elevated at 52, but ast and all other livers were normal.

My cholesterol was 212.

I also have some IBS symptoms and last colonoscopy showed flat vili, which was probably due to gluten exposure (that was when I was first diagnosed with celiac)

I have this constant dull feeling over my liver with some very tender spots.

When I saw a liver specialist years ago, I thought I had an ultrasound and I did not have fatty liver at the time. He discharged me because he didn't seem too concerned.

I never drink alcohol. I used to take tylenol a couple to few times a week when I was a teen and young adult.

I am within my normal weight. I walk everyday. I eat pretty darn healthy.

My legs itch. I do not look jaundiced at all.

What in the world is wrong with me? Why did my chart say "chronic hepatitis with unknown etiology". I was tested for every type of hepatits and they were all negative.

I do have a low functioning thyroid and anemia if I don't take Iron everyday. I have been on iron daily for the past 5 years and my levels are normal, but low normal.

Any suggestions or tips to heal my liver would be so helpful.

God bless you all who suffer...

Wenron

"I have been on iron daily for the past 5 years and my levels are normal, but low normal. "
Which levels, exactly.  And, what kind of anemia - there are several types?

Malabsorption problems often result from Celiac sprue and other IBS syndromes in the form of vitamin B deficiencies (mostly B-1, B-6, and B-12). Malabsorption disorders can cause poor iron absorption and megaloblastic (pernicious) anemia as well as chronic liver irritation, hypothyroidism, concentration problems, skin problems, and blood sugar levels leaning towards the low side. Does your Dr have you on Vitamin C to increase the iron absorption? Are you using chelated iron (iron from natural sources-usually in liquid form) rather than the oxidized variety which is very hard on your liver and difficult to break down? Are you on H2 inhibitors? (Medications like Prevacid which decrease your stomach acid levels and impair vitamin and mineral absorption because they haven't been broken down when they hit the small intestine.) Just because your chart says chronic hepatitis, doesn't mean you have hep C -it just means there is inflammation there being caused by something...Does this help? Good luck! My advice? -See a licensed naturopath. They are well-versed in nutritional support (better than most GP's) and the effects of vitamin deficiencies. Have your folate level done as well as vitamin D and ionized calcium. Don't be surprised if they are low. Hypothyroidism from a malabsorption problem is not unusual and can cause a cascade-effect of mineral and hormonal imbalances. Good luck! ~MM
Another thought...any symptoms of gall bladder disease? Stomach pain shortly after eating oily/ fatty foods? Flatulance? Belching? Recent changes in weight or a history of being on a no-fat/ all carb diet for prolonged time periods? If so, have an ultrasound of the bugger...By the way, the 40's stink. LOL~MM
Wow...you are right on the money. You made me feel so much better. So, this doesn't mean I am going to get cirrhosis? That is my main concern. You really helped me!  

Last time I got my vitamin D level checked, it was low, so the doctor put me on 50,000,00IU/week. I am taking slow fe iron but willing to try anything that helps that is gluten free and doesn't taste like a frying pan lol. I do have some IBS and gallbladder symptoms but eating something tart like pineapple after a meal really helps. Strangely enough, my B12 was too high with taking it daily, so my doctor said to hold off. I was tested for Hep C and it was negative, but I seem to have the same liver problems Hep C people get, except for the iron issue? I am not on Vitamin C. Is there one that doesn't feel like a horse pill going down, that is gluten free and non irritating to the GI tract? No, I don't take prevacid. Stopped it years ago. I believe my folate has been low in the past. What do you do for that? Thank you again...many blessings!
If your gall bladder troubles you, you will find Papain (yummy chewable enzyme tablets from papaya) and bromelain (same from pineapple) will ease your digestion and make your tummy a whole lot happier! As far as the cirrhosis goes, long term inflammation is what causes fibrosis (early but reversible scarring) which, if it persists, turns into cirrhosis. The liver is an amazing organ and can repair itself fairly efficiently, enough so you would be unlikely to develop cirrhosis if you can minimize the inflammation. I'd like to suggest some homeopathic things, but I am reluctant to do so because of my lack of knowledge about their interaction with IBS issues...This is where you'd need a Naturopath to help...There is a de-acidified vitamin C in a powder form (or you could crush the tabs and mix in a drink) for folks like myself who get heartburn from the "horse pills". Oh, and molasses (black strap) was suggested to me for a natural iron source...I don't know how many grams is in a tablespoon though..I hope this helps! May you be blessed with liver health! :) ~MM