Hepatitis Social Community
Viral Load

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Viral Load

Last year my husband found out he has Hep-C. Before he started treatment his viral load was 13 million. He went on the treatments (peg-interferon.) Six months later the viral load decreased dramatically to 200. He stopped the treatment because it was just so taxing on his body and he was having severe anger rages.  We have 4 children ranging 3-17 and the stress we were dealing with was just as hellish as his physical pain was. He had another blood test recently, after being off the treatments for 7 months and the viral load has climbed once again to 1 million. Can someone give me advice on how high these levels can go, till we're talking  maybe  liver  failure, are there any new treatments out there? Any answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated.            
Hi welcome to the forum. In order to get some answers you will have to post more information. His geno type, meaning is he a geno 1 , or geno 2, or geno 3 etc. Also post if he had a biopsy and what the results were Stage/grade. Also some of his recent blood work - ast/alt etc.

If he is not on treatment right now, his Viral load will fluctuate. Thats not as big of a concern as are his blood work which show liver function. The Viral load can be high and yet the person has 0 damage and it can be low and the person might be stage 4 - so can't really know the condition of the liver by VL alone.

When you get a chance post some more info and others will be able to help you understand the labs.
Good luck.
Your husbands viral load has nothing to do with how bad is liver is, or isn't. You can have very high viral load and no liver damage, or a low viral load and a lot of liver damage, or vice versa.  He should be properly evaluated by a liver specialist (hepatologist) who will do whatever tests or procedures are necessary to find out  what condition your husband's liver is in and what are the options. Hepatologists can usually be found at your larger, teaching hospitals.And yes, there are new drugs in trials as well as new treatment procotols with the current drugs.

-- Jim
Hi I have type 2 hep c  I was diagnosed around Oct.6 with viral load one million and eighty thousand. No liver damage; I quite drinking and smoking. I began hydrogen peroxide food grade drops (internal)
juicing with organic only; milk thistle; green food algae pills; and took another blood test within 3 weeks later down to 81,000. They thought it may be cronic (chronic) I disagree. I think it was acute. however, I have a very strong faith Jesus will heal me. Has anyone been completely cured? Why is viral load so important if it does not determine liver damage? I thought if it was 0 viral load you do not have Hep C anymore?
whatis type 2 Hep C? Did you have a biopsy?
Im assuming you mean genotype 2, ou mentioned you have no liver damage. Thats great.
SO you already had a biopsy to show that? There arent any vitamins tha will cure HCV.
The only thng can could is Interferon & Ribavirin.
Viral load goes up and down and up and down all over the place.  It's no indication if you are chronic or acute.  Unfortunately Interferon and ribavirin is the ONLY cure for hepC but it IS a cure and if you are genotype 2 you have an 80% chance.

Viral load is important to know when you are treating because there are certain percentages that you need to hit in order to tell if you will be successful.

Your alt and ast will let you know how much damage is currently being done to your liver.  Did you have a biopsy? It's really the only way to find out if you have no liver damage or not.