Hepatitis Social Community
Want to help

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Want to help

I am not new to the forum, and have learned a lot. I am here with Timothy and am aware this process his his to fight, only so much of the time I feel helpless watching him go through these battles daily.. wishing I could make it better, and yet not knowing what I can do
Welcome to the forum. I commend you for wanting to be there for Timothy and help him through this. I also understand your feeling of helplessness.
One thing is to ask questions about the side effects he may be suffering from that he could be too tired to post himself. There are many ppl here who have been through this tx and who can advise you both on how to help with some of the sx. If you feel shy about public posting send private messages to some of the friendly and informed ppl who have just come through this hell.
Know that it will pass, he will get better and he will get his life back.
Hugs to you for your caring and Hugs to Timothy.
All the best to you both,
Riv
Hi there, sometimes just being there for somebody is the best help so way cool in you for doing that. We all need a shoulder to lean on during this battle........ Best to the both of you.
Hi, I am doing the INF/Riba treatment while living alone.  I am on week 20 of 48.  I was working full-time until just over a month ago.  After missing so much work, I realized that it would be better for me and my employer if I went on medical leave. My family is incredibly supportive and are available to help whenever I call.  Some of my biggest issues are with things that most people  take for granted.  I have a dog and live in a condo.  My family will regularly l take her for walks or the park. My sister has even taken her to the beach on a couple weekends.  Sometimes I just don't feel I have the energy to go to the grocery store and my mom will do my shopping for me.  Even picking up prescriptions and going to the bank is  big chore.  I recently had my daughter and granddaughter go with me.  After we were done we had blended coffee drinks and sat outside and it turned out to be a great outing.  You are probably helping in ways that you don't even realize and Timothy is very fortunate to have you by his side!  
Take care!  
Just having someone to cook, shop and listen was extremely helpful to me while I was sick and doing treatment.
You cannot help what the person is going through but you can be supportive and that is an enormous help in itself.
hi and welcome.It is nice to hear from people like you that are there to give support and comfort. My hubby just finished the worse 24wk of our lives so im sure Tim thinks you been there to support him is invaluable as above just to listen comfort him and make him realise that he is not alone so well done you if you want to send me a private message at any time please feel free and in the mean time take care of each other and good luck Tim with rest of tx xx
Hi MJ! Your such a great support!! I agree with all above,, just having someone there!! There should be a caregivers support group. I always felt so bad when hubby would ask me if I needed anything. It was just keeping up with basic house stuff that was so helpful! It did get very cute when he started to see a pattern of  what I did use everyday. He always came home with my foods. So it's little things that mean a lot!! Wishing you guys the best!! :):):)
I was slow to see this thread but I still wanted to reply. I could never have made it without my husband's help. He drove me almost everywhere because I was not only exhausted and weak, but also foggy-brained and had terribly slow reactions. I would have been a serious menace to all if I'd tried to drive like that. He also gave me firm but gentle nudges to get out and walk a little with him, to keep my circulation going, and he found numerous enticements to encourage me even on bad days. For instance, he invented "kitty walks". Knowing I adore the chance to make friends with new cats (even though I have two sweet ones at home), he told me tales of nice cats he saw on his own walks in the neighborhood, emphasizing the friendly ones. I couldn't resist the bait and had to walk over there too to try to see the cat myself. By the end of my tx I had made 4 new kitty friends in the neighborhood, and developed enough of a bond with two of them that they sometimes seem to lie in wait for my evening walk now, running down the sidewalk to greet me and throwing themselves down at my feet for petting sessions. I feel bad when I don't go by for a couple of days, and that is excellent motivation to keep walking. He also nudged me up for my morning meds, prepared food for me whenever I needed help, helped me keep track of my meds, and most of all: he quietly and easily forgave my occasional outbursts and my frequent withdrawal behavior (when feeling my worst all I wanted was to be distracted from it, so I spent a lot of that time alone with my iPhone and headset, listening to audiobooks and trying to tune everything else out). I was and am so appreciative of his assistance and his tolerance. Bless you for trying to help Timothy. In the end he will love you even more.
This is so nice.  I really think it is wonderful that you are providing support to timothy.  As everyone above has said if he is having sx that he can't deal with I know anyone on here could help advise on what worked for them.

Cean, loved your story about the kitty walks, really made me smile
Thank you for caring.  It is so hard to watch someone go through the difficulties of side effects, both physical and mental. For my husband, who is in week 17 of treatment, it's the little things that really help - keeping an ice pack in the freezer at all times for headaches, bringing some flowers from the garden into the house, making sure we don't run out of the foods and beverages that he can enjoy.  I try to keep his stress level as low as possible.  Music helps, sometimes massage, sometimes just curling up next to him with a book and reading quietly when he needs company but not conversation.  If you can even do things like make phone calls or send emails if he is too exhausted, it can be very helpful. This treatment can be so isolating and getting friends to send a card or email of encouragement makes for happy moments. I truly believe that calm and peace helps the meds do their work, so that is where I fit in.  Best wishes to you, please keep in touch.