White Blood Cell Count
GSD
Hi All:  Another question.
Hubby's WB cell count is 2.6L (4.0-11.0)
Red Blood cell count is 4.25L (4.50-6.00)

When is LOW, low enough to need supplementation???
tata
GSD
WBC has various components.  Usually the one you look for is 'absolute neutrophil caount'.  On some labs reports it can be expressed as 'absolute neutrophils' or 'anc' or 'NE#" or as 'LY#" - depends on the report.  For RBC, the point of interest is 'hemoglobin' or 'hgb'.  See those anywhere on the report?
GSD
FlGuy said: """WBC has various components. Usually the one you look for is 'absolute neutrophil count'. On some labs reports it can be expressed as 'absolute neutrophils' or 'anc' or 'NE#" or as 'LY#" - depends on the report. For RBC, the point of interest is 'hemoglobin' or 'hgb'. See those anywhere on the report""

I cut and pasted your questions so I wouldn't forget anything. :O)
I found ABSOLUTE NEUTS = 2.0 (2.0-7.5
HEMOGLOBIN =139 (135-175

So are you saying that reading the WBC number alone isn't enough?  One has to disect the information? As in, is the Absolute Neuts part of the White Blood Cell Count, but yet counted separately? I'm plugging away trying to understand the following counts as well.  Now trying to figure out if they are Diuretic induced or Pegasys.

Also, RDW 14.7H (11.5-14.5)
Platelet Count 147L (150-400)
Absolute Lymph 0.4L (1.0-3.5)

I do thank you for your help.  Trying to learn.
tata
GSD
I found ABSOLUTE NEUTS = 2.0 (2.0-7.5
HEMOGLOBIN =139 (135-175

The ANC can be expressed as 2.0 or 2000.  His is pretty good at 2.0.  When you get regular cbc's you probably see it drop further.  Doc will probably take notice at around 1.0 but not need to do anything til .5 to .7 (500 to 700).  You'll probably see it stabilize and maybe bounce around a little. If it goes low, the drug of choice is neupogen (google it). Not everyone requires neup.  First tx I did, but not this time.

hemoglobin aka hgb is usually expressed as a decimal, like 13.9 or 17.5.  He probably started higher than 13.9, you'll likely see that it continues a downward trend.  Take notice at around 12 and doc may step in with procrit, or similar, around 11.  Lower than 11, or a quick drop,  hubby will feel pretty tired and run down and live for naps.  Riba drives the hgb down - it's what it does. Not everyone requires procrit. First tx I didn't, this time I do.

Look forward to hearing his 4 week pcr results.
Here's a good website to bookmark and reference:

http://www.labtestsonline.org/

By the way, when I look at cbc I basically look at 3 items. ANC, hgb and platelets. Alert territory for platelets is around 40. Action level is about 25-30.  But hubby most likely will not get to those platelet levels. Expect them to drop continually though.
GSD
Somehow "thank you" doesn't seem to quite cut it.  But THANK YOU!!!  I truly appreciate your help as I fumble through these things.  Hubby has had a better weekend than the last one.  Still trying to figure out if it is dropping the Diuretic which lowered the potassium, electrolytes, sodium and chloride,  that has helped.  Many of the side-effects of Indapamide can mimic the Peg treatment.  Blood pressure has gone up a little to 136/86 but still within high normal range.
Oh well, one day at a time.

I'll be sure to let you (all) know how the 4 week vl went.

Thanks again.  Us "Newbies" need help.
tata
GSD
I am on my 9'th week of treatment now, and last bloodwork my NEUTS read 0.9.  I was wondering how much of a problem this can cause, and if this is any indication that I may need to take neupogen eventually as well?  Thank you kindly.