Hepatitis Social Community
cirrosis of the liver

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

cirrosis of the liver

My good long time friend has HepC and cirrosis (cirrhosis) of the liver, I realize his is dying, He has not drank since the end of may and even quit smoking, has been taking his medications, He was just in ICU because of internal bleeding, they fixed that, so now he's home, sleeping and going to the bathroom alot, not eating, basically just surviving, not very comfortably. So we went to the docs today and she says "he's a goner"(real nice, by the way, rotten doc!!!) so how long would someone who has been thru this say he has???
He should be seeing a qualified hepatologist, liver specialist at a transplant center.
Because he only stopped drinking in May, he won't be eligible for a transplant until November, if I'm correct.
How long he has to live is anyone's guess. Many people have lived quite some time after having his experience.

I cannot stress enough how important it is that he sees a hepatologist ASAP.
I suggest you post this on the cirrhosis forum on medhelp:
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Cirrhosis-of-the-Liver/show/1390 
I am so sorry to hear about your friend, and wow, what appalling behavior for a doctor! I agree with OH, your friend really needs to be seen by a hepatologist at a transplant center, and once there he may find far more reason to be hopeful than what he is currently being given. Given how sick he sounds, I would try to find a really good team at a transplant centèr in a large teaching hospital, as this really facilitates teamwork by doctors, and I would also encourage you to offer assistance if you can. It makes a huge difference just to bring along someone on your side who is NOT sick, to help with getting answers to all his questions and with remembering the doctor's instructions. Best wishes, and let us know how things are going.
His symtoms (symptoms) are getting worse he can't keep anything down, including his pills and now his kidney's are now failing @13%, they are saying "dialasis" but that would probably kill him because his blood presure would go all wacky, and it wouldn't do him any good until he is more sure of a transplant. He did just get his Medical card so they can refer him to thr liver guy, which hopefully I can get him in this coming week.
He's just really losing his ability to get to the bathroom in time to either go or throw-up- so he's got a trash can...
I am so sorry, Jen.