Hepatitis Social Community
closed

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

closed

Is the Hepatitis C Social closed to non members?Just curious.I am not in the workforce and do not care who knows I have it but I am interested in the reasons people have for hiding it.Stigma,Insurance,Dating,Family?Personally none of mine cared more or less.
Good question.  Could care less who knows I have it. But in the middle of this mess my husband said, well maybe we shouldn't tell everybody because they might interpret it wrong. I agreed. It was mostly his job and that I won't reveal.ha!! But it changed very fast. Now even he urges people to get tested. He went to Superbowl party and sat next to a guy who told him his own story about hep c. Were fairly sure I got it from sticking a needle in my arm---1 effin time. Lol. I barely remember it. But I was a straw girl myself!!! Good luck to ya Cree hope everything comes together:-) :-)
I think anyone can read the forum, but have to be a medhelp member to post.
Advocate1955
Thank you for your thoughts.Awhile back one of my daughters Grandmothers asked if I was better,not knowing what she meant I said "yes".I had been asking why one of my daughters friends could'nt come to visit.I can't remember what the reason was though it had to di with me being sick.Looking back I am sure she wan't allowed to come and visit because of me.Alot of people hear the word Hepatitis and they think the "A" type.Or they equate it to having Aids because of the ignorance.All I can say is to those that think those things "Do you have STD's of the brain?Wow .
Bad day today.It is hard for me to understand that people in my family have other concerns besides me.I want to be number one!I want daily reassurance.I want all of us to have everything to make our lives easier .I want everyone to be healthy and strong and blessed.I want more love and comfort and peace for every person on this forum.We did not deserve this disease and if there was a time when we were not so deserving,I think our dues are paid now.
Love and Peace and Hugs on the Wind to you All!!
People just come on this side when they want to talk about topics that aren't really related to Hepatitis C. Sometimes a thread not deemed clinical in nature will get moved over from the medical side. No one is really hiding though. It's just really slow right now.

Sometimes there are lots of active topics and there are times (like now) were not many post. It is just the ebb and flow of the forum though. Like Advocate says nonmembers can read and access the forum but not post.
  The way I found this whole MedHelp website, was while googling up imfo on Hep C.  I did this for months, and it never occured to me to become a member or post. I was just gathering imfo, etc.
    I stopped telling people, once I realized that alot of people, like you mentioned, dont understand the difference between Hep A and Hep C, etc. Even after I tried educating them, lots of them seemed to have phobias, and were still afraid to be near me.
My husband doesn't tell anyone about his Hep C or his Cirrhosis, and he prefers for me not to tell anyone either.  I think he doesn't want to tell his family because he doesn't want them to worry.  I think he doesn't want to tell anyone at work for fear of discrimination or losing his job.  I think he doesn't want to tell others (friends) because of the stigma that seems to be associated with Hep C and Cirrhosis.  So, we just plug along, keeping it pretty confidential and to ourselves, following up with his hepatologist regularly, treating his Hep C when there are new treatments available, and monitoring his Cirrhosis hoping he will stay compensated.  His only support is me and our two children.  My support is this forum.
Advocate1955
I remember now some of your Husbands story that you shared with me.I had not thought about it until now that you have no support either,for different reasons yes but going it alone you know how I feel.You are your husbands support and I am so glad you have the forum for support!where would we be without the genuine caring and Love we all have for each other all battling a War that is so misunderstood.Sometimes I want to scream look at us!Give us the support and publicity that say breast cancer victims and other diseases get.We are important too!Soon with the new recommendations the age group to be tested for hcv gets more diagnosis we will have a flood of people newly diagnosed and screaming for a cure.Maybe then we will be better heard.
Thanks for being there for me.There are some on the forum that have become my constants and sanity and always a friend to listen to my ranting whining and raving.     Snowbank woman