creatinine is 18.8mg/dl
why is my creatinine level at 18.8mg/dl.  I got this form a urinalysis drug screen, and I do not drink alot of water.
Hi Ruffman,

You sure don't provide much personal info in order to reply, such as, do you have Hepatitis C?

Quite apart from that, though, I do see in your profile that you are on lisinopril. Your doc should know that when starting that med, it's not unusual to have a 30% increase in creatinine levels and that this is acceptable when balancd with the issue of treating HBP.

Can't remember the normal range for creatinine, though. Why don't you post it here from your lab result and fill us in on whether you also have HCV, etc.

TTYL

Susan
Oh, and you should always drink a FULL glass of water when taking your lisinopril.
If you are dehydrated, your levels of lots of things will be elevated in a urinalysis.
Hi again, Ruffman,

I just took a glance at the normal range for creatinine -  normal serum creatinine range for men is 0.5-1.5 mg/dL.

So if the info you provided is correct or there's a calculation I'm not aware of,18.8 mg/dl seems skyrocket high. What has your doc said and what has he done to help you?

The first thing I'd want is a re-test.

Hopefully, someone else will step in to help out and comment.

Susan
Okay, my bad re: my previous post. Wish I could delete that last post of mine. :(

You said it was a urinalysis!

http://*****************/question/index?qid=20090218022721AAblEsa

"For **BLOOD** the "typical" range for creatine level is 0.6 to 1.2 mg/dL in men and slightly lower in women - more like 0.5 to 1.1 mg/dL. "Typical" values do not cover every case, of course. For a male bodybuilder, high muscle mass and energy usage through exercise, would lead to a normal level above the typical range, maybe as high as 2.0 mg/dL. By contrast, for a frail old woman with comparatively little muscle and who does little exercise, a value like 1.3 mg/dL would be unlikely to be simply an unusually high 'normal' value, but rather would be a strong indicator of kidney failure.

For **URINE** the normal levels of creatinine range from 20 mg/dL up to perhaps 200 mg/dL. Values below 20 mg/dL - and particularly below 10 mg/dL - are indicative of adulteration of urine. Basically, measuring creatinine in drug testing is looking for evidence of attempting to hide drug use. Your urinary level of 169.5 mg/dL is absolutely normal, and nothing to be concerned about."

So if I'm on the right track, it's not far off from normal.
Such a good source for details!!! I'm glad there are people like you around since my tx foggy brain can only pull up generalities. I especially like it when your details tell me that my brain actually pulled up the RIGHT generalities.

(:-)
Diane