Hepatitis Social Community
does hep c cause low creatine readings

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

does hep c cause low creatine readings

i was diagnosed 6 years ago w/ hep c . i didnt follow up with a doctor. i got real sick 2 years ago and no hep c was found. i dont have med. ins. so i dont get good follow up health care due to i cant afford it.  i am a recovering alcoholic 19months , i am involved with the court systems. i keep showing a dilute and low creatine level in urine tests. i love my sobriety and i wouldnt do anything to jepordize it.im at wits end . does anyone know if hep C causes low creatine levels? im really concerned i have a serious health issue , id appreciate help from anyone ...thank you   jennie
I think low creatine levels has more to do with your kidneys.  Get thee to a doctor.....
No, low creatinine levels don't usually indicate a kidney problem. Low creatinine clearance which results in a "high serum creatinine level" does suggest a renal problem. Usually a low creatinine level is a sign of healthy kidney function but there are exceptions. A greater muscle mass means a higher creatinine level and thus women generally have lower creatinine level than do men. So, if you are small in stature with not a lot of muscle mass a low creatinine level wouldn't be that unexpected - but, I don't know what you mean by "low creatinine level". There is one situation where there is low creatinine level and that is in advanced liver disease. This is not commonly seen with HCV to my knowledge but, if you know you have advanced liver disease you should follow up with a doctor. Also a very low protein diet can result in a low serum creatinine level and I really don't know much more than that - like how low a protein intake would need to be in order to result in a low level. Mike
Thank you for correcting me.  I really don't know know where I got the idea it was associated with kidney disease.
You were in the right ballpark. High serum creatinine does suggest renal (kidney) disease. But, a low serum creatinine isn't the same as a low creatinine clearance. If you don't clear the creatinine through your kidneys it's in the blood and is reflected by a high serum creatinine level. It's an easy thing to confuse. It's also obvious to me that you haven't had any renal problems because if you had you'd know this stuff. I take Prograf as an anti-rejection drug and it is associated with some degree of nephrotoxicity so I pay attention to my creatinine level. I could go on but I probably rambled on too long already. Hope all is well, Mike