forum experiment
How about an experiment?
No moderation for say 24 hours and remove stars and best answers too
the objective to see how the forum works, would it get out of hand ?
would we notice a difference?
are the Mods up for it?
are you up for it?

exact details to be finalised but i have some ideas
basically for 24 hours the mods watch but never react, the 24 hours would start without us knowing  within a one week period, so say its monday to friday within that the time the mods pick a 24 hr window and then start the clock without telling us..the report button remains active and this is how the experiment is scored , number of reports the only difference is after a post is reported nothing behind the scenes happen except a count of abuse
also after the 24hr period we are informed and we can gauge if the forum seemed different
i admit there is a lot to work out but could be interesting
would the powers that be , be up for it?
Oh my James you are always the eternal optimist and truth speaker there is no hidden agenda in your words and this is why I think you are marvelous!   :)

I still say kill the report button it is for children!   ;-P

x
the peasants are revoulting ha ha ;-)
as long as the pheasants aren't revolting . . .
i would never say that about any bird    ;-)
I think we need a Moderator that has been through tx, preferably one that had a rough sx. You can’t fully understand something you haven’t been through.
I compare it to me being a Moderator in the Breast Feeding Forum.
While I am at it, I had a post deleted and a Star removed. Get real we are not children.
yield to our request  Mods
ha ha
Get lost !!!!!!
medhelp.....trolling season !!!
I think that the new member who has posted a string of obnoxious posts isn't *just* a flip response, but serve as a sort of model for why moderation is needed.

There is a need for moderation on the board, and  failing one universal accepted model that pleases everyone MH has adapted one that they feel provides the greatest good for the greatest number of members.  Yes, at times I feel that is too "PG-13" or too proactive.

But.....it is good to have moderators to remove posts of people who are unable to communicate without being offensive.  This latest member seems to post with the clear intent of offense.

So....no......I'm not personally in favor of NO moderation, since there are many people who are unable to regulate themselves, much less their posts.  On any random day any of us can fall victim to our own impulsive or unfiltered posts.

Can you imagine reading the latest musings of raspberywhackjob day after day?

Board rules and moderation serve a purpose and need, IMHO.

Willy
Willy,

This type of abuse is quite different on so many levels.
And BTW: only targeted certain people....I find that odd.

The mods must be on holiday or I would have lost all my stars
by now :(.

I truly believe it is someone who has a personal vendetta.

Take care all
Elaine
The poster you are referring to is totally a troll. I don't think anyone has argued that it's okay for the forum to be riddled trolls. The problems that many of us are responding to is having long-standing members posts removed during disagreements and the interpretation of what makes a personal attack.
whos a troll?
this thread is not about trolls , strawberry whoever has not posted here  , confused???
"And BTW: only targeted certain people....I find that odd. "

I thought so too at first that the target was specific people but then as I went through the threads he posted in, didn't seem too discriminate either.  School's out for summer, dontcha know.  These kinds of things happen on a number of forums when that happens and I really don't think this is someone with a personal vendetta but rather an immature idiot with a keyboard, an internet connection and nothing better to do.
Hello all,  I am glad to see that not much has changed since I last signed on.  I think the poster you are referring to has been deleted from the forum.  I tried to read some of his/her posts and there are none.

Hello to all.  I hope you are all well.

Eric
ok just been told a load of posts were made and deleted, and iam a *****  , ha ha thats ok been called worse
I got a warning for the "s**ools out" saying  last year    LOL
So....since my post is still standing, things are improving?  ;->
"The problems that many of us are responding to is having long-standing members posts removed during disagreements and the interpretation of what makes a personal attack."

I haven't seen that long-standing members are immune to behaving badly any more than new members.  In fact, in some cases, it seems that some members think they should be given more leeway because they have been here awhile.  If someone is going to be nasty and insulting, I don't care how long they've been here, how much they know or how much they think they know, they should be dealt with.  I don't think there should be one set of rules for one member over another based on how long they've been here  - do you?   Same rules should apply to all.  

The only leeway perhaps is that, amongst ourselves at least, we try to be more understanding of those who are on treatment - but even at that there's a limit to what is acceptable and postable on a public forum.   Being on treatment doesn't exactly give us carte blanche to say and do whatever we want either.   There has to be some kind of balance.

I have never been on any kind of public internet forum that wasn't moderated, even if it was a very informal kind of thing moderated by the person who paid for and created the forum.  They get moderated as to who is allowed on and what kind of posts they can put up.  I'm on an EX500 forum for my Kawasakin Ninja and THAT is moderated.  There's a reason for that.  Most people conduct themselves pretty well and as usual it's the minority that don't  OR the minority of times people who usually behave well step out of line.  
I have to agree with you 100%!!
" I don't think there should be one set of rules for one member over another based on how long they've been here  - do you?"

Not at all.

My point was that the longstanding members weren't trolls who suddenly appeared out of nowhere posting incendiary comments only to disappear again.

I fail to understand why you keep challenging me. We can have a different opinion, and apparently do. That's fine with me.

Pax
I"m not sure why you take it as challenging you.  I haven't been rude, I haven't been insulting, I'm not specifically targetting you either. I'm simply presenting an alternate point of view to the points you're making, it happens on this forum all the time.  Many points of view have shades of grey and people post their viewpoint.  I don't understand why you're taking offense to that.   If you think my goal is to specifically attack you or anyone, it's not.  I don't quite see it the way you do and I want to present an alternative thought.  That's it, that's all.  You considered your viewpoint worth posting and I felt the same about mine.  

As for your latest point about longstanding members, I maintain my own point.  I don't care how long they've been here.  It doesn't give them any more right to be nasty or insulting.  If anything, I would expect more of them because they know what's at stake here and engaging in personal attacks doesn't help any of us to maintain a forum where we can debate an issue with freedom from moderation.  I don't care how long they've been here, if they're going to be debating people instead of debating the topic then it needs to be addressed.  
Actually, I'm not saying you've been rude or insulting. I'm also not taking offense. But you keep addressing me specifically and asking me questions as if to put me on the spot. Hence I see you challenging me.

You don't admit that you're doing it, but you are.

Some people might think that is a personal attack. Just sayin'.
Of course I'm addressing you specifically.  You're the one making the comments I want to respond to.  How is that a challenge??  Do you take that the same way every time someone responds to your posts??   Of course I don't admit it.  I'm not even close to approaching this as a challenge.  This isn't a competition here although I see some people approach posting on this forum that way.  I'm not one of them.  I simply like a good discussion between reasonable people and it's one of the reasons I go on various discussion forums.  I love exchanging ideas and do it often with reasonable people.  I see some shades of grey to your comments and like I've already said, I'm simply presenting an alternative point of view.  How on earth is that a challenge when that's what's happening on this thread and every other thread on this forum?

Frankly, it's me who's starting to feel attacked as I'm the only one getting accused of challenging people when I post an opinion and nobody else is.  Perhaps you have preconceived notions about me that are inaccurate and perhaps you want to consider that.  
I just wanted to say that I enjoy reading the posts between you two. It is 2 points of view, yes... but it doesn't appear mean spirited, and I think that is great!
ten forum quality threads in as many days...something is afoot Watson!!!!!!!!!.

medhelp, I hope you are getting this !!