Hepatitis Social Community
general questions about the forums

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

general questions about the forums

Hi all-

I've been lurking around the Hep C forum a bit but I'm not that familiar with it. I was just curious how many people use this forum and who runs it. Thanks.

I don't know how many people use this forum but no one person runs it.  It's an open forum and there's no moderator.  I think anyone on the internet can access what we post so I probably should have created a different user name.

Sherry
Uh no there most certainly are moderators on this forum...........and they are quite incredibly diligent in their efforts, that is an understatment.  If you aren't sure of that go to the terms and then break one - after a few times you will end up in Cyberia with a whole group of great x-members.

Just a general warning on that.
Yeah, I heard about that from another forum. I think they took being banned from here as a badge of honor which I totally get.

The other day there was a post about an enraged husband on tx that some folks joked about and the next day the frivolous comments were gone.

It's a shame really. It's beyond me why everything in this country has to be so sanitized and censored so no one could possibly take offense. Some people are just looking for reasons to be offended - hell, why not accommodate them?

Scoleman- I'd never use my real name on a public internet forum. Granted I may be a little paranoid but there are a lot of crazy mothers out there.
how many hep c forums are there and what are they?  I only know about hvcsupport and this one.
There is also janis and friends where everybody hugs everybody and a ill word is not spoken, they also have live chat..... You might want to check it out.
Hmmm Methinks I have too many ill words
I haven't quite found where the line is, but I'm slowly figuring that out.  I've had a few posts deleted when going off topic, which seems to be the moderator's biggest issue.  I don't get a sense of over-moderation and they stay behind the scenes for the most part, but I haven't been around here that long either.  

I would hope that the moderators first give someone some warnings via private message, then a temporary ban, prior to a permanant ban from this forum.   I would also hope they recognize that attempts at humor are made to help someone having a crappy day feel just a little better and help them get through the day.  Attempts at humor don't always hit the target so that can be a bit tricky.  
also hepcfriend.com  -  

the knowledge base, # of members and traffic is higher on mehelp, IMHO
psst.. big brother reads every word

Cyclist.....you hit  it on the head......get out of line  you get warned...stay out of line you get sent packing...sometimes for while...and  as the dozens that are now members of other forums ...sometimes for good(unfortunately)

I may be sent to my room for just this post..  oh well..

Will
You mean there are hazards here at med help?  They stick a warning label on you?!? (Checks self and sees a biohazard label sticking out of pocket.)

Agree vehemently...internet communication as a whole is pretty tricky... attempts at humor often misses their mark -- I guess what inspires one person to laughter can often inspire another to offense or tears.  Speaking for myself, I usually don't intend any disrespect, but words on a screen make it hard to convey intent. Laughter is sometimes the best medicine... but like everything else guess sometimes we get side effects. Maybe there are folks who think I'm being disrespectful using humor but sometimes the laughing is the only thing that keeps me from crying.

I've had posts just disappear... maybe one day I'll be dematerialized from here altogether, who knows.  I've never received a personal warning myself -- not that I need one or want one or care if I get one (shrug).  I did once have a "moderator" PM me about correcting her information on a post (another MH forum), but we hashed that one out in private.   I'm usually more comfortable in places where I can speak my mind freely, so if there comes a time when I can't, I'll know it's my time to move on.
The problem with a site like this trying to be commercially viable is they need to be taken seriously enough to get the number of hits needed to charge their advertisers without actually being liable for the misinformation that gets posted here.("I scarfled riba till my ears bled just like those nice people told me. Why didn't I clear?")
Thus you have the schizophrenia of 'best answers' in the right side bar and "Under NO circumstances should you act on any advice or opinion posted in this forum." in the left side bar.
As far as the moderating goes, it's their playground so you play by their rules. When the moderation gets too heavy handed, I go back to my home forum at hepcassoc.org.
Drug Abuse in Middle Schools
12 hrs ago by Emily_MHModerator
Dee1956 commented on Belle313's status
Dee1956 commented on MH Community Mgr's status
Track your weight over time