Hepatitis Social Community
hair dye??? can I???

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

hair dye??? can I???

to dye or not to dye....
will it make my hair fall out more? what about blonde? will that be worse than brown? or does it matter?
permanent or demi- perm ( I already use perm)
All i have to say is....hair dyes are cancer causing.
To die or not too die is the question.
Oh dear!  I have just angsted over this myself recently; I decided to get some blonde highlights for an appearance boost 3 weeks ago and I have regretted that decision ever since.

It has caused my hair to become very split, dry and brittle, it snaps off and it is definitely falling out faster since I did it. My scalp is itching constantly and it feels like fire ants are building their nest on my scalp... I have started to wear a bandanna as of yesterday to keep the hair away from my face and to detract from the broken and uneven bits.

BUT, if you do decide to go ahead with a colour avoid any bleach, go for organic colouring products, maybe even a henna which is very conditioning as well as colouring.  And I really would avoid any perming solutions.

Our hair, our crowning glories, this is the hardest part of tx for me.

All the best with your decision!

Epi :)

last thing ya wanna do is use chemicials on you scalp now while on tx...it may even affect the tx drugs out come...get a wig...shave your head...wear a bandanda...hat?
try rubbing coconut oil in your scalp
Thanks you guys-

I am a shedding Rabbit!! Hair used to be down to butt... now its at shoulders (took 2 riba pills and cut off my ponytail) and its 2x as thin... with the gray roots. I will try the natural brown...

Try some neosporin for the dry - itchy scalp.... I sun-burned the top of my head and have used it since... on that and all weird rashes that come out with this tx

I have died my hair twice already during tx. No problem at all, as I use an organic hair die product. My hair is very shiny. I wouldn't use the henna, unless you mix it with vco and maybe yoghurt and maybe an egg yolk. But the smell will stay forever. yuck. Henna kind of dries out my hair, I used henna for many years. Did the egg yolk thing once, it was the most disgusting thing ever.
shaving doesn't work for girls...
its not very attractive

coconut oil sounds soothing...
I shave my head but not all the way...i set the clippers as so its about 1/16 of an inche...gives me the 5 o clock shadow look....i think it looks pretty cool...you may need a cool wig
If I do shave - I will have to get a cool tat on the back of my head - so maybe the wig....
lethecin makes the henna not so dry and the color last longer put about two to three table spoons of the liquid in and warm water make a mud paste and apply to damp hair loved the good imported kind used it a lot on my clients back in the 70's you can come up with some great reds they have mostly chemically treated hennas now not as good
baja
hair dye or aniline tints do not cause cancer however most hairdressers that are colorists that mix it day after day do get cancer as most of the lab guys that create it but you would have to drink it to get cancer it is topical on the hair  Hair is dead not living but that is another discussion
Baja
I havent colored my hair rin a year sice the beginning of tx. FIrst of all my P.A. said no chemicals of any kind. SHortly after I began txing maybe in the 4th-5th month I developed SEVERE plaque in my head and ears, so that stopped me from using anything even natural. I just finished tx and still have bleeding and dry ears. My head is better but I have a way to go.

Use natural if you feel you must.
I lost 80% of hair anyway.
bajawoman has the right of it as far as hair coloring goes.

The thing is: Women know their hair

You are losing hair already...and have a perm.

The side effects of the meds for some is thinning or loss of hair that is supposed to subside when the meds are stopped. It sounds as if this side effect is really taking it's toll with you and I'm sorry for it :c

Since your hair is not at it's physical best, maybe the real issue is whether you want to risk the *possible* common, known adverse effects, including temporary skin irritation and allergy, hair breakage, skin discoloration and/or unexpected hair color results.
More ideas...  Get a short cut.  Don't brush hair too much, and be very gentle when handling hair.  Since it's already thinning, these measures might minimize loss.
I've read in several threads about using Nioxin for hair care with positive results, but it must be strated one month before tx for best results. Any one here ever use it? Pro/con?

Also any tips/brandnames for organic hair coloring?

Thanks - Pam
i have been dying my hair since i started tx, it thinned out alot in the middle of tx, now going on my last shot this week YAY!!! its starting to grow back and look healthy.

If your scalp is already dryed out, the dye will irrate it, which was my case all along.  I use cholestrol (you can buy it at any hair supply ) after dying i use this to mositure the scalp and the dryed out hair.

I also cut my hair very short, so it didn't look to bad!!

good luck

peace
rita
Thanks everyone,

I was worried I would have to get that tattoo.... and then I would be addicted to them... and get them all over (not making fun of tattoos - I am an artist and Libra - I wouldn't be able to make up my mind so I would get all the ones that I like or make my own) It would be like a drug to me.

My roots are gray now... I have that blue "glow" and I have always been dirty blonde. I cut my off after 9 weeks of tx... just got frustrated with hair crawling all over me... now it fly's around the room.

I use Nioxin..... it makes my head feel good... it is cool feeling...
It makes my hair fluffier... but it still falls out.. so I don't know if it really works and I started it 8 weeks after I started tx. Hair seems to come out more 2-3 days after INF shot...
The conditioner is good for your face - leaves it soft and helps melt the stuff in your pores.... (gross) and won't make you grow hair on your face unless its suppose to be there.
I don't itch as much so if that is all it does, it helps a little bit.

I will try the natural - any recommendations for brands like Pam asked????

I use a French brand called 3 chênes, but I don't know if you can get it in the States. It covers gray hair really well.

There is a US brand called Tints of Nature.

Marcia
How is your hair now that you don't have to do a shot? I know its only been a week...

Thank you all for your tips... even you rock!
nikki~

Not much you can do externally to stop the falling out, it is the drugs, even many none hep drugs affect hair,  Causing brittleness and such.

I use nioxin also, I like it.  i switch back and forth to a product by aveda, for good conditioning.

So,  dye the first two times i treated,  I did my regular 6 week trim and colour, I again went to an aveda salon, But it got pricey,  This time I in one year I have only colored 3 times,   Stay away from the chemicals,  Use gentle,    What happens is the it stunts the root growth,

Cool showers and head rinse, not a lot of product hair spraiy goop. If you can let dry naturally!  

good luck
I used L'Oreal Excellence Cream several times during tx.  It did not hurt my hair and made me feel a whole lot better.  When the roots are gray it looks even thinner than it is.
yes never thought of that point with hair color and chemicals in your body can totally throw off the color as chemicals ingested to deposit themselves in your hair almost immediately which is why they use hair samples from the base of he neck to determine medical problems great read the hair on your head does tell a story
loving care may work if you are trying to cover gray but then again I would stay away from chemicals for the unwanted results that may happen colors of haircolors are very different and maybe there is still fanciful rinses around these would be the least harmful as well as good ol bleach that is the safest to have your hair highlighted with foil that does not touch the scalp this is the way to go not sure if you are covering gray but that is the best way to hide it without actually putting any color on your scalp of course you will have to have that done by a competent hair colorist they can also put the color on the bleached areas and no scalp is touched do remember it takes time and there are lots of noises and smells in a hair salon another option would to see if the colorist could come to your house
some do make house calls
there are many ways to cut the hair to make it appear thicker depending on the type of hair one has a creative haircutter can do this if your alopecia is in one spot only and it is not too large of an area this can be successfully covered over as well with a good haircut if you have an all over thinning and changing texture of the hair this can also be dealt with and you do not have to cut your hair all off to get this affect  go to a good salon one that comes highly recommended try to find a hair expert that knows your type of texture of hair  all is possible I worked on many chemo patients in my past life as a hairdresser some ended up with wigs but I can tell you when there hair grew back and this is true for both men and women it was better than the hair they had before amazing
I love that you say you were a hairdresser in a past life!!!

I didn't have such good luck with using bleach for my highlights a couple of weeks ago; while it's true the bleach didn't touch my scalp when it was processing it did when the hair was rinsed off.  Sting, burn, sting!

AND THEN, the bleach changed the texture of the hairshaft itself, causing it to become fluffy and brittle which is now mega irritating my scalp and I itch, scratch, itch!!

I've decided to avoid any chemicals, bleach, or styling products for the remainder of tx and I'm getting a nice collection of bandanas, scarves, and hats to get me through...
Bleach kills mold! think about your poor hair shafts.Good advice up there!   good cuts.

As long as I do not become the person with my hair swept to one side! lol.   trying t cover bald spot!
products over the years have changed to be less damaging to the hair shaft  not knowing more information I cannot tell how the foils were placed etc. and the type of product used and the condition of your hair before the highlights were done
I know they are still using different strenghts of peroxide
A good hairdresser will or should not damage your hair best to do a test strand next time a day before your appt to see how the hair lightens as I say with chemicals or drugs taken it does reflect in haircoloring which is why I always asked my customers what they were taking there are shampoos like for removing chlorine for the hair of swimmers and others that take chemicals from taking pills injections off the hairshaft it self but cannot remove the drug from the medula which is where the color is in a hair shaft
tricky business hair coloring we are all different for sure and so is our hair skin and nails which are all made of the same make up
Not sure why they didn't just rinse the foil areas with cool water and not touch the scalp that can be done
Next time go in for an interview first and have them do a test run on a small section of hair near the nape of your neck that will not show
If bleach escaped from the foils the bleach was put to close to the edge of the foil and will bleed up onto the scalp making what us hairdressers call holidays or spots on the scalp if these on in areas you cannot see this could have happened and caused the pain on the scalp powder bleach especially mixed with 30 or 40 volume peroxide
can be very uncomfortable on the scalp and cause scabbing this is just uncomfortable but is not very professional
Deb no comb overs  ha ha funny hate that those guys need a buzz cut
but seriously a good haircut is really necessary to hair thinning problems find a good artistic haircutter that preferrably has the same texture of hair you do or is a master with cutting your type of hair
you should not have to go to a good hairdresser more than 4 times a year
every six weeks is too much for a woman
especially when you are having haircolor unless you are competely gray and need a touch up every few weeks depending on your hair growth
if you are that gray better to stick to heavy highlights but I would definatley not have a very short hair cut with thinning hair it only makes it look thinner

best of luck any question about hair just ask  
sorry just noticed you perm your hair NO Bleach on permed hair can't take it thoglycolic acid is the major ingredient in permanent wave and the most important procedure is the nuetralizing if you want a really good perm that lasts the hair actually has to rest between the perm solucion best to go home (not kidding) with the perm rods in your hair and wear them for a day two better then nueutralize very uncomfortable sleeping on those suckers but you get better hair and curl afterwards
nuetralizing is what sets the curl natural nuetralizing of the hair or the cool down period happens naturally but most salons just want to get you in and out
good luck no bleach highlight with tint only and low volume peroxide 10 volume no more and pick a shade two shades max lighter than your natural hair as it will deposit color you hair from being permed is already porous and will accept the color it will give you a shine and an nice look you can always ask for two color highlight one one shade lighter and on two shades lighter look at the hair color wheels just so you do not have to have 20 volume peroxide
baja
Thank you SO much for all your advice, hair is a huge problem for me!  I really don't like wearing my hair short, it is very difficult hair and I struggle to find a hairdresser that can actually cut it well.  For now, tho, I'm sticking with the bandannas cos I really don't think I could handle a radical change in my appearance.  I just ordered a bunch of bandannas online and the money goes towards helping kids with cancer!  Gets quite hot under the bandanna, tho!
My hair is really straight and fine -perms don't like me (remember the Toni perm and the pixie haircut? crying times for me!)... I used to be dirty blonde. I have used 3 colors on it for about 4-5 years now..medium brown underneath and low-lights throughout, and 2 colors of blonde - light and natural - all foiled and it took me forever to do when my hair was long, I cut it to my shoulders...
The last time I went to a hairdresser, the light highlights melted my hair - it was really scary. I am really pale so red looks brassy on me - I have to be careful. My son can draw and paint, so I have him do the back. I better try a professional this time, I might pass out from the smell... and they will keep it off my scalp.

Thank you all for this advice, it helps to live off other peoples experiences.... and Bajawoman - I will trade you a yummy dinner and a bingo game for your services if you get to Vegas.
Wow -

There are a lot of interesting pointers in this thread,
Thanks for posting the question,

I am fair skinned and a redhead and my hair doesn't look brassy :c
On a redhead - a little ash blonde neutralizes the brass effect.

To be honest, I don't many women who use don't use some type of color or
tint once in a while.  
I have long curly hair can't and imagine any one willingly get a perm.
Straight hair looks neat and sleek - and you can do all kinds of things with it

I'm curious about the outcome, Be sure to post the results if/when you do it :)

Good luck!

Color is tricky especially with drug treatments any medication can be a hazzard and has to be taken into consideration

Konyha  you may want to lessen the perioxide as most store bought tints if fresh have 20 volume in the box you most likely cannot get a hydrometer but you can use the old eyeball and cut it down some if you are not covering gray or easier you can just do a soap cap by mixing some shampoo in the mix like a half ounce and lather it all over slighly damp hair and leave on 40 min

I personally never put an opposite over a problem I like to mix a little of the same color I am trying to get rid of in the mix just so it does not look unnatural level 7 strawberry blonde with the ash may give you a better look try it on a small area and see  with the shampoo caps you may need to tint more often colors fade so easily

HelpNikki   the hairdresser used bleach and too strong a mix and left it on too long and if done very badly can melt your hair right off
I would totally stay away from perms the two don't mix and color can give you a nice body to your hair and with a good haircut even better  
You shouldn't bleach your hair now you may want to get some corrective coloring done
till it grows out a bit  I assume you still have those damaged locks  which you can make look better with hair conditioners ones that smooth the cuticle over make it look less damages they do also make a purple color shampoo for brassiness and taking the yellow out of gray hair you could try if it is brassy may help won't hurt

Epi  Bandanas are Great! and Hats you can really get stylish with that and it is fun need to get some cool earrings but dont forget to massage your scalp every night really good and when you shampoo and if it is comfortable brush you hair rolling the brush over the scalp and upward in small sections do this a lot it will stimulate your scalp but I understand too if it is sensitive but this is good advice for all to have beautiful shiny hair as it distributes your natural oils and helps get blood to the folicle to feed it

Best of luck girls and guys with your hair it is super important to most if you have any questions ask

Baja

baja you are so hired! You are now our official forum hair person!  This is a great thread.

Thanks again

Deb
I stopped dying my hair at the start of treatment and it came out in gobs anyway. At the end it was so dry and split and disgusting that I went on ebay and bought a whole bunch of wigs.......wow what a difference they made for me.  I felt like a woman again instead of some balding vampire.

Yeah during the summer they were hot and itchy but after a few weeks I got used to putting it on to come to work.

At home of course I just tied a big scarf around my head (mostly so my family didn't look and get upset, I caught my mother crying one night and that was THAT I realized I needed to keep up appearances as much for myself as for THEM.

Good luck Nik just remember this too is temporary and nnow my hair is half way down my back, growing like a weed and at this point I have three different colors in it :) Yeah I'm making up for lost time!
that is the right attitude and keeping up appearances for others is really important as how they view you speaking of family friends and coworkers is very important to your well being and having a good self image no matter how you have to pull it off is important if I learned nothing else from my years in hair I learned that  I did a lot of patients that had mental problems and physical problems in wheel chairs for life and feeling better about themselves made a big difference mostly because they had a more postiive attitude about themselves and that shows to other people
thanks for posting that   And wigs nowdays are much better than they used to be esecially the ones with the really light wef that you can pull your own hair through makes them look really real  Good Luck all
Deb  thanks and anytime I will be happy to answer any questions about hair issues
and self stying at home tips

Baja
Where do you get your facts for hair color misologists getting cancer?
Didn't Al Lapin Die of Cancer in the 70's He worked with colors in the Lab all his life Do not people who work in the art field die of using colors for silk screening true different chemical
I have personal friends that have died from cancer that were hair colorists as well  NO actual proof it was the hair color but where did the original studies come from about analine tints? NO it does not give cancer having it put on your scalp but can cause major allergic reaction RIGHT?
However if you want to get picky prove to me it doesn't  OK  
Thank you very much for all your postings!! There is good information here.... enough to make a decision.....
My daughter is a hair stylist - Has owned her own business for 15 years. She has colored my hair since tx with Swartzkopf Hair Colour. She also adds other products to my hair after coloring but I can't remember the names.  She uses color on lots of cancer chemo patients and swears by Swartzkopf.  It really is mild and has no pungent odor.  Started loosing hair around wk 25 -  Maybe a 1/3 has fallen out.  Week 36 and it appears to have stopped falling out but I have cut it shorter also.  Do NOT perm your hair -  I will cause breakage and additional hair loss.
Trin
"now my hair is half way down my back, growing like a weed and at this point I have three different colors in it "

You don't say where it's growing from. Obviously less impressive if its growing OUT of your back as well as down.....Please do let us know ;-)

PS Are you keeping the carpet coordinated with the drapes? Carpeting is so 1990's....  

hey there's a reason they don't test that stuff on rabbits anymore....they all dyed....get it.

mb
Thanks for the tip -

Bleach? No thanks - no problem if anyone else uses it.

I have very long, thick auburn curly hair.
The texture is closer to ethnic hair.
Ethnic hair doesn't respond to a few of the pointers mentioned in this thread.
Sometimes an ash rinse in the summer keeps it from getting too orangey.

I feel awful for those having trouble with their hair due to treatment
...but wouldn't mind the weight loss everyone else is seems to be having

***If you live in Mexico - you are only 1 1/2 hour drive from me,
The TexMex translation (usage)  of the term that happens to me (with my
head of hair) every time I go to Mexico is "Mal de ojo."
Hair dying is unhealthy and may cost a lot of money.If you want change your hair color,wearing wigs can be a good choice,Nowadays there various types of hair wigs like black wigs with bangs and other hair color wigs for people to choose in http://www.hairwigsall.com/ and the price is cheap.You can have a try.