Hepatitis Social Community
hepatitis c

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

hepatitis c

how to get rid of belly fat with hepatitis c
I noticed you had a stroke at age 44. Have you been able to treat your Hepatitis C or has the stroke history excluded you from being able to treat and cure your Hepatitis C?

I ask that because Hepatitis C, in addition to causing a constant state of inflammation in your body, can be linked to metabolic problems entailing faulty glucose regulation, faulty insulin regulation, faulty lipid regulation, and insulin resistance. This metabolic malfunction/dysfunction can be the cause of excess belly fat, which, in the presence of the insulin resistance and faulty glucose metabolism, is very difficult to get rid of. This is a very simplified explanation but the end result is excess belly fat. In addition, if you have insulin resistance, you will have to work harder to get rid of that belly fat than you would if you do not have insulin resistance.

My suggestion would be to talk with your Hepatologist about treating your Hepatitis if at all possible. It will be much better in the long run if you can get rid of your Hepatitis. If you cannot treat your Hepatitis at this time (due to medical reasons) hopefully you will be able to treat your Hep C in the future when newer drugs are available.

I would also suggest asking your Hepatologist about testing you for Insulin Resistance.

I would also suggest talking with him/her about getting on an integrated program to help you reduce your belly fat. You need a program that will focus on appropriate exercise and an appropriate diet.

I don't really know if you have limitations because of your previous stroke, but some tips, if okay with your doctor, might be:

Limit starches and sugars.  Eat few or no processed foods like white rice, flour and bread and replace these products with less processed alternatives such as brown rice and whole wheat flour and whole grains.

Avoid fast foods, fried foods, processed foods, junk foods, sweets, white foods.

Cut portion sizes.

Adopt an exercise regimen that includes walking and, if possible, a variety of other exercises that can help you to burn calories faster.

Increase your fiber intake. Fiber-rich foods such as fruits and vegetables help to keep you fuller longer.

Try to decrease stress levels.

Eat breakfast.

Eat more good fats, like olive oil, nuts, avocado.

Drink more water. Water helps to keep your cells hydrated and your stomach feeling fuller.

Best of luck. I sincerely hope you succeed with your endeavor. I also hope you will be able to treat your Hep C at some point.
Pooh has said everything I was going to say, and she's done it better and far more thoroughly than I could have done. The advice doesn't get any better than that!