Hepatitis Social Community
is there a lactulose alternative

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

is there a lactulose alternative

Does anyone know of an over the counter product that works like lactulose?  I’m going to be doing some traveling with just a carry-on and don’t want to haul a bottle of the sticky stuff with me.
OK --- uhmmmm... I hate to be so personal --- but what are you using it for?

I mean if you need a decent clean out --- or do you just need to keep your bowels moving?

I found that the Fleet Glycerin suppositories were very effective bowel relief.... Gentle too.

But lactulose --- well it seems to go RIGHT through you --- so other than brand names --- and possibly different preparations (for amonia (ammonia) build up ---- right?) -- they all contain the same ingredients --- so probably will be sticky... But under a different name...

Here's a very interesting article on the Ammonia buildup that I'd never seen before...

Not to mention - it shows the usage of antibiotics in place of lactulose --- specifically that of Monistat type drugs... Very interesting:

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/gastro/henceph/henceph.htm

Anyhow - hugs - hope you have a GREAT Trip.

Meki
That kind of cut off - so I'm going to

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/gastro

/henceph/henceph.htm

put the two lines together with no spaces - eh?

LOL!

Hugs!
Thanks, I'll look at the article.
I use lactulose for ammonia but try and do without it. When my mind gets too goofy, I use it. I just would prefer to buy some wherever as I'm not certain how much I'll need. Then there is the airport and fluids or getting sticky lactulose spilt over all my stuff. I've had that happen enough with shampoo and lotions.

hugs to you,too.
Sorry, I tried to google it and find out more, but I couldn't find a substitute.
I think you are going to have to travel with the real deal.
I've had my share of messy liquids that aren't supposte to spill or open, but do anyhow.
Since it's a prescription medicine, won't they let you carry it in your purse? I'll have to google that next.....
Are you going to see the grandbaby and your mom?
Hope you have a great time and this is purely a FUN relaxing trip what ever you do...
Hugs,
Bug
Ok here's what I found out:

Baby formula, breast milk, prescription medications, and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, or aerosols) can be in containers larger than three ounces, and do not have to be inside of a quart sized plastic bag, but have to be declared at the security checkpoint.

So you just don't want to carry it on with you since you're traveling light? I think you just need to bite the bullet on this one....and if it makes a mess and spills.....curse me out! I won't be able to hear you:)
Hugs,
Bug
Don't know anything about the medication, but have a tip to the spilling. I travel a lot and I always put items which might spill into doubled zip locks, it works really well.

Marcia
Marcia, Thanks. Ziplock is wonderful for travelers. I wonder how I'll replace it as I'm going more green.
I'm also trying to reduce the weight I carry as my shoulder gets achy due to my breaking it last Fall.

Bug: Thanks for searching for me! Mom and grandbaby are on opposite coasts but I am headed to meet the little one. I'm also hoping to get some city stimulation, re:museums. The twin fawns frollicing in the meadow are cute but life is more than bambi and wildflowers, or is it??  .:)

Meki: The web site wouldn't come up for me. Thanks anyway.
                                                                                             OH
Try This
Mekis link does work if you remove the space

http://tinyurl.com/4szzhf

CS
That worked.
Thanks,
OH
Inulin/ Culterelle
Inulin = Trader Joe's + cheap + light + powder

Zip locks - reuse someone elses. I wash & reuse my own - but that's not as green as reusing someone elses. Get a lifetime supply from the school cafeteria, I bet.

Other option. Small plastic vitamin jar in large plastic vitamin jar.

Makes the bowls looser.I'm still going to make sure with my dr before discontinuing the Lactulose.My amonia (ammonia) level spiked to 225 in 2010,it put me in a coma for 4 days.Scariest thing that ever happened to me.I woke in the hospital restraint to the bed and didn't remember being out of control crazy.0 memory.I hadn't had a drink either,it was crazy scary.I never plan on drinking again.Thing was is when mine spiked like that i was already clean for like 6 months,i just didn't like taking the medicine so i quit it and then found out how important it is.Another really good healing herb is milk thistle.Be sure and consult with your dr 1st though.Somehow i'm making a miraculous recovery,dr took blood and the hep c is no longer.