Hepatitis Social Community
looking for support

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

looking for support

Hi agian-

I've been dx with HCV, most likely infected a year and half ago. I haven't yet been treated but would really like to. I don't really have anyone to talk to about this and at times feel lost and overwhelmed.

I guess I'm hoping to find suggestions for getting a bit of support. I'm not sure I have the wherewithal to deal with people in person, but I live in NYC so if anyone knows of any low-key support groups I'd be interested in hearing from you. Also, if you have any suggestions for online support or forums. I tried one but unfortunately it didn't work out well.

Thanks much.
Kat
Tags: support, HCV, NYC
I didn't have the time or energy to go to any support groups, no matter how low key, while i was on treatment so I used this forum as my support group.  I asked all the questions I had (on the medical side where you will get more answers than over here on the social side (but you did put this post in the right side) and learned more than the doctor I was going to at the time.  I made a lot of friends who stuck by me and encouraged me when I wanted to quit and just wanted to give up......they wouldn't let me.  We laughed and cried and celebrated success stories and had our hearts broken by the failure stories. But the good thing is with the new drugs many of the people who did not succeed previously are now retreating and they are making it.   So time for us to celebrate again.

I can't say we all always 'got along' and didn't fight like crazy over stupid issues - but honestly most of the time it was more like arguing with your brother or sister and insisting you are right because you're stubborn - but we all actually care about each other and genuinely WANT desperately to see each and everyone cured of this disease.

There are some great people on this forum who would be more than willing to do anything to help you.

Just a suggestion but the only one I have since this was my support group for all 72 weeks I treated. That's why I am still here....time to give back and also, hard to give up my friends even after 5 years SVR.

Good luck.
Welcome to the best HCV support group going.....:)
Will
Welcome to the group! This is the one that you want to come to when you need to ask questions, or vent or just have a mini melt down, everyone will help you out as much as possible...anne
I needed more support on tx so I switched from boxers to tighty-whities. That's when the skid mark problem started. To paraphrase Forrest, "Life is like a smudge of chocolate."
Good that you found this site, there is a lot of good information and support.  You will click more with some people than others, but I think everyone wants to help.

Let us know what you are thinking and let us know as much as you can about your current status with the virus.,, e.g. your biopsy results

hope to hear from you soon, and dont worry
Mary
Hey all-

Thanks for all the kind words - truly made me happy.

I found a lot of helpful information here but I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate these forums - seems a little tricky searching for topics the way all the posts are lumped together but that's the least of my problems...

I'll be seeing you people around. ❤ ❤

I did not use this tool when i was on tx. i have learn so much here. i am going to restart tx an if it is any thing like before, i will need this place, for mental help. listening to the older and the ones who have been there already will mean a lot. You will see as you head in to tx. Good luck. and welcome!!!
Thanks, I plan on sticking around. The best of luck with your tx - must've been a real drag to go through the first one unsuccessfully.