Hepatitis Social Community
method of aquisition

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

method of aquisition

I notice many people being very specific in how they contracted Hepatitis C virus. Like, " contracted through transfusion", or,"needle stick accident-healthcare pro," or whatever. Is those individuals' disease somehow different from, "cross-contaminated tattoo ink", or "used drugs intravenously"? I thought we were all in the same boat.Perhaps a separate forum- "Their own fault", and, "victims of"?
Perceptive comment. The HCV stigma is all pervasive.
Yes, very perceptive.  Glad you brought it up.  I notice it too and it makes me nuts.

jd
Wow.  Well said.

isobella
There is one difference.
Those who got it through transfusion never had the 20% chance to clear it on their own. Transfusion related cases never clear spontaneously.
I don't think there's anything wrong or morally corrupt with people who contracted HCV through drug use or through contaminated tattoo needles. I also don't think there's anything wrong with people mentioning however they got HCV (either in their posts or in their profiles). I think it's informative, just like any other personal tidbits they wish to offer. And if members wish to share that info - what does it matter?

And what brand of cigarettes do you smoke? Is that a Chimpsterfield I see? ;-)
Oh I smoke Marlboro. lol  I put it out front when I first joined this forum that I got HepC thru IVDU.  I did that for two reasons, actually there's probably more than two reasons, but here I go.  Number one, was if anyone here didn't want an ex-drug addict on their forum and wanted to keep the IV part out of it then I wanted to know that, coming into the forum.  Number two reason was, I did alot of work on myself to get 5 yrs. clean and I am super proud of myself, so whenever I get the chance to blow my own horn about being clean, I will blow that horn loudly.  The last reason I mentioned how I got infected was to show any youth reading that shooting dope is serious, I actually know one person who shot dope once, and ended up HepC positive.  I don't know what the big deal is about mentioning IVDU, transfusion, violence, rape.  It doesn't matter that's only how we think we got it, it doesn't mean that's actually how we got infected.  I had a transfusion in 1982, I had my ear pierced when I was 15, nothing is definite with HepC so I don't see it matters if you mention it or not.  Another thing to keep in mind is that nobody I know, knows that I'm even a member of this forum, except my wife.  
God Bless  
The chimp was forced to quit when his enablers abandoned him.  I don't know about any of his other life-style choices, so he may or may not have HepC.  I don't think he is a health care professional.  I may be wrong.  I won't offer any judgments -positive or negative-about anyone's morality except my own, and I think that shooting drugs is self-abuse, and  immoral in nature.  -Physical risks aside, I think the act corrupts the spirit, is devoid of self-respect, and perpetuates sickness.  Hence-immoral behavior. As an afterthought, it's also illegal. But that's OK. People are only human,after all. Unless they're a chimp.  That used to smoke.  I think It'd be naive if I believed people stated the way they contracted HepC as a simple offer of information, but it's a kind thought.  Plausible, but unlikely. Fretboard makes a good point- I don't know for sure how I got It- innocently, or through recklessness, but of this I am certain: I sure didn't mean to .
I don't know about alll that monkey business, but I think that we are just one big group of people who don't want to have HepC.

Fret-I have always been a fan of your honesty. Hep isn't the first battle you have fought and WON, and you deserve to be proud of yourself....I sure am!  :-)

Back in the day....Virginia Slims Regular

Of course you're right. It's merely mental masturbation, anyway.  Something to write about.  Filler.  Like existentialism- distracting and fun to talk about, but in the end it's just bull---t.
I've never really seen any prejudice here with regards to how people got their HCV or think they got it because very few people can actually pinpoint it so maybe the ones actually saying where they got it are the few who have been able to nail it down.  I don't see it mentioned a whole lot other than in context in a discussion, which is the only time I bring it up myself here and the only time I really see it being discussed by anyone..  

I do think we all operate pretty much like we're all in this together and if anyone ASKS someone how they got their Hep C, they pretty much get told that ain't cool.  I don't see anybody asking someone else how they got their Hep C before offering any support and I'm thinking maybe you're reading a little much into it on this forum.

Trish

Personally, I'm wearing getting the hep c from a needle stick as a badge. Even though I was careful, I got it anyway. I'm trying to spread awareness and education, particularly amongst my medical peers, that this is NOT just an IV drug user's disease...Anyone can get it. It can be found in healthy looking young people or cute old ladies...Or your next door neighbor. It is a disease to be respected, but not feared...and it is not necessarily a death sentence. I thought I was well informed about Hep C before I got it. Turns out, I didn't know squat. -and I'm a Paramedic. Did you know most medical manuals list IV drug use and blood transfusions as the ONLY means of transmission? The more aware and better informed people are, the less teeth the stigma has, and the better care hep C patients will get...It shames me greatly to see and hear patients getting care grudgingly instead of freely, and being treated like lepers just because of this stupid stigma. Not everyone is going to know how or when they got it. I'm fortunate that I know because it alleviated a lot of anxiety...I was a regular blood donor in the 1980s and early 90's...A "Galloneer"...that's a lot of  blood...(Turns out I was screened for hep antibodies in 1999, just before I had my child)...So, how doesn't matter, but when does....Sorry if this puts anyone on the defensive...                                        ~Melinda
Well, if there WERE 2 forums: "Did it to myself" and "victim of," I'd simply add both forums and maximize my information seeking -- my rationale would be, gee whiz, after all, my husband ENLISTED in the corps, so he qualifies for both. ;)  Maybe like medicmommy, I'm pinning a badge of sorts on him -- I do feel that getting wider attention requires realization from the "general populace" that being drug-free does NOT make you immune.  My perhaps ineffectual contribution at raising awareness.

The irony is that though we all (I hope!) try not to judge based on age, gender, and race, this disease forces discrimination on us, doesn't it?  We are told about the chances of cure based on these measures.  And our discussions, though based on commonality of being affected one way or another by this virus, are based on distinctions:  genotype, stage, grade, etc.  Our need to discriminate is human -- it's our ability not to let it prejudice us that is the challenge that's up to each of us to meet.
Good post, ram... and lots of great responses, too.

Trying to put the Camels down for good,
~eureka

i aplaud you
Listen we are one with hep.  I think the only reason it should be mentioned is to educate,and thats if someone asks.  I dont think any less of a ivdu or myself.  I married the ivdu and i probally got from pulling the works from him and poking myself. or i used a tooth brush, or a nail clipper.  or i am in the 1% of sexual transmitted.  either way it doesnt matter.  i am someone who has hep and is treating and needs help to get through.  thats the bottom line.    i dont judge anyone on how they got it.  i just want to educate if i can.

now if i can only quit smoking....

peace
rita
This forum is great in that most of the ppl on here look at it only one way, and that's that we are all in the same boat no matter how you got it.  Unfortunately in the outside world the stigma is alive and kickin' hard.  They don't only look at people like me who got it thru IV, but included in that is accidental needlesticks and infected thru a contaminated vial, those are still considered routes of IV technically.  On another note, my doctor used the following method in guessing when I got infected.  "many experts estimate the length of exposure to HCV in drug users by subtracting one year from the total number of lifetime years of needle use".  It took me way back to 1968 which I thought was ridiculous.  I had HepA when I was 16 or 17.  In 1972 or 73 I had a pain on my right side, my Mother took me to the emergency room.  This is the time period that I believe I got infected and I was in my acute phase.  I know when I got infected, not the exact day but at least right around the same time.  The doctor at the ER prescribed me Donnatal at the time, said I had a tenderness around my liver area, but assured my Mother that it wasn't my appendix.  I just wanted to clear the air, that I have a very good idea when I was actually infected.  Again, I am now clean and much appreciative that the forum has accepted me as just another forum member.  God Bless
i think everyone should post everything they feel comfortable posting here.  in the end, we are in the same boat, but hearing the variations in everyones stories teaching everyone something about...um....everyone.....

gawd, that sounded lame, but of course....post tx....i am mentally lame...hee hee
"Those who got it through transfusion never had the 20% chance to clear it on their own."

This is interesting - I hadn't read that before.  I'd tell you why I find it interesting but then I'd have to tell you that I got my Hep C from a transfusion and that might upset the apple cart...so I won't mention it.  :)

Eureka....Our need to discriminate is human -- it's our ability not to let it prejudice us that is the challenge that's up to each of us to meet..........
Fabulous comment!

Medimommy....good post.

Ram, any...........
Good post. I'll try not to drag this out, there is a method to my madness :)......

Ran away at barely 16, quit school, hitchhiked west. We THINK I got HCV during my drug experimenting  years as a 'street kid'. I was a 'good girl' that tried about every drug out there and was even a virgin when I tried heroin, thru most of that time!  Somehow ......I never got addicted to anything (cept cigs!!) By 20 I knew it was not the life for me, became extremely anti drug and , well, see my profile! I lived in that world, saw a LOT, left many I cared about to leave it behind me, got diploma, raised 3 sons and so on.  That said.....since my hep dx in May 06 I have told many how we THINK I got it, they were shocked but only in ...I'm so dam anti they can't believe I did it. Not once has anyone judged me in a negative way and actually applauded me in getting away from /out of it all. And right now, I applaud you, Fret and anyone else for that same thing, getting out of that world, getting clean. While I never had to fight the addiction part, just walking away from that whole lifestyle was DAM hard, many things to change so I wear THAT badge proudly, and so should anyone else here that got HCV from IV use and got clean. Anyone still trying to get clean, I assure you all or most here will gladly support and welcome you here in that fight and in OUR HCV fight.  

All that said.....Moa, Alagirl  wears a badge of one kind,  medicmommy of another and so on but we ALL have a HCV 'badge' in this. I am proud to show mine, be proud of yours :) I have not seen prejudice here in this and I do believe we all (most) are wise enough and humble enough to admit that we have all made (many) mistakes in our life's, albeit not the same mistakes.  I understand how you may feel that when a person say's 'transfusion', etc. it is like stating  'NOT IV use', but I really don't think that's the case HERE. I may not walk into work or a party and say 'I used to do drugs'....but here…. I will, never feeling looked down upon. (and God bless anyone in the outside world that does that to me as they always end up being the one looked down upon before the conversation is done! Yes, it has happened 'out here'.)

I truly hope no one here or that comes here ever feels less important or less of a person due to how they got HCV. I COULD have gotten it from sweat shop nail salons also, but as I did use IV drugs….I’ll always be labeled that in that stats.

Good thread as we can clear this up for people here that may feel as you do.
And VERY happy for you in conquering addiction.

On to conquering these dam Marlboro’s  :(

LL
Dam , so much for not long and .....Hep dx in May 07....not 06, not that it matters :) dx, bx, tx all in one year!
It seemed to me the thread was started based on how people identify themselves in these forums and at least my own comment was directed at that.

Interesting discussion on if we have stigmatism within our own Hep C community.

Identification outside of these forums, badges or otherwise, is a whole other discussion!
This thread has really made me think about  why I am so scared to tell anyone about my diagnosis.  One friend even said---what, do you have AIDS or something???? That didn't even bother me enough to admit that I have HepC.  (not that there is anything wrong with having AIDS-a virus is a virus)

In just the few days I have been on tx, I can feel my vise-like grip on my big fat secret loosening.  I can almost understand why people come out and admit it AFTER tx. Why that makes sense---I don't know.

I think I have a stigmatism against myself.  

Maybe that is what the eye doctor has been meaning all these years when he said I had an (a)stigmatisim.  (I can't believe I said that----thank y'all for putting up with my weird humor this morning!!!)

Bottom line is that this thread got me to thinking...no small task these days.
Thinking and tx'ing are not compatible.  You need to give up one of them.  Good luck on your continuing treatment.
ACK!! One more thing to think about---think I'll stick with tx'ing for a while.

Thanks!

Izzy
Iso: I think I have a stigmatism against myself.
----------------------------------------
I think that's one of the main points being discussed. It's always  seemed a little presumptuous to me, that just because we have Hep C, that we are somehow immune from the prejudices and stigmas of the general population. Related, I've always thought that one  important reason people treat -- not everyone --
is because of this predjudice/stigma they don't want to be associated with. I see this as unfortunate because it's a tough enough decision anyway without having to factor in how other people may look at us.

Ram...I thought we were all in the same boat. Perhaps a separate forum- "Their own fault", and, "victims of"? ...........

To me, that sounds like a poster feeling judged, looked down upon due to how he acquired HCV, whether it has happened or not.  We share bowel movements here, think sharing how one may have gotten HCV is ok, if they want to. (not asked, forum etiquette you know:)
  We've had a few threads on this in the past, the IV user, drugs, etc, and only once do I remember anyone being an idiot. (now banned).
  Being a past IV user I've had the exp. of that prejudice/stigma and will put myself out there to make anyone here feel NOT that way in this forum.
  Of course we're not immune to that here, but it sure doesn't belong here.
How one feels about that, whether one likes another or not and so on should be left for the 'out side' world. I would hate to see anyone put themselves thru this tx just because their ashamed of it, but that’s a good point I’d never thought of.  We may not want to tell the world because of the stigma, but we surely should not have to worry about it in here. Haven't we won that battle of knowledge, stigma on this site?

Medicm…Did you know most medical manuals list IV drug use and blood transfusions as the ONLY means of transmission?………..
Hep C being so wide spread, I simply will never understand the ignorance in the medical field on this.
(My 1st Dr…….”no cure, you can live with it”.) But that’s a whole other thread! Not that threads straying is uncommon here.

LL
  Yeah, thinking on tx can get you in trouble. Stick with  thinking lifeguards :)
Hmmm...I guess I do fall into both catagories of "did it to myself" VS "victim of"..LOL....After all, I made the choices (to have a paramedic career, to resuscitate a futile cardiac arrest) that placed me at risk for the needle stick....Once again, the "how" doesn't matter...Nor does the "who" of who gets it. We are all human beings and deserve to be treated respectfully. Life happens.
Even though I'm done with txing now (YAY!!!) and I am hopefully cleared of this yuck, I will continue to be a hep C advocate...it is appalling that knowledge of this disease is still  in the closet even though it has been around for centuries...I aim to change this. This is akin to a slow moving cancer, and can be just as devastating...I raise my sword and say,"Death to you, hep C stigma!"   :)                     ~Melinda
I have a stigma against myself....

I still have to go with that because when I first found out I was so devastated and ashamed that I could have brought the whole world tumbling down around me and my family.  It was all about me.

Then  I put on my big girl panties and got a grip and got educated!  Found this place and all of you.  For that I am so thankful.

I will also advocate for HepC-because it's not about me anymore.  It's about all of us and how we can educate all of them!!!

Words like victim and fault can trap people.  I prefer to think of us all as one big group of people able to overcome anything and be victorious.

LL-life guards are out for now---the sun looks so hot it's making my skin hurt! :-)

Medicmom-sword raised to this next fight!!!!

Jim:  I think that's one of the main points being discussed. It's always  seemed a little presumptuous to me, that just because we have Hep C, that we are somehow immune from the prejudices and stigmas of the general population.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think anyone would say that we are free from the prejudices and stigmas entirely but certainly within this forum is WHOLE lot different than "out there".  This has to be one of the safest places I have ever been to be able to talk about Hep C and to be open about almost all aspects of it.  Next safest is my Hep C support group.  I was there last week and we just all had a gab session and it was so great.  So I really don't see nor feel a whole lot of stigmatizing going on here... just sharing information and perhaps I still feel that people read into why people share their risk factors if stigmatism is what they see in that.  Just my own perspective.

Your other comment about people taking into account the stigmatism as one of the reasons for treating .. I certainly took that into account.  While not my top consideration, certainly an important one.  I took into account dealing with employers and relationships and all sorts of scenarios.  If it just wasn't a good time for my family for me to treat, then I would have put up with all of that.  However, I'm certainly looking forward to not having to deal with the "disclosure moment" when I start dating again (maybe) after treatment.  That's more other people stigmatizing people with Hep C and us having to face the reality that it exists and it's not going to change very quickly and the reality is ... we all need to work to eat and take care of our families.  Not so many people get to wear their Hep C as a badge in the workplace as a work-related hazard.

And I'm not sure how I feel about anyone getting to wear a badge, really.  It just hits me a certain way as if saying "My badge says NICE people can get Hep C too".  I don't mean that to be offensive to anyone...really just throwing it out there as food for thought.  What I'd really like is that when I go into emerg, the nurses and docs don't ask me how I got Hep C.  It doesn't matter how I got it, it has nothing to do with the care they're going to give me.  Every one of us gets asked by people "out there" how we got this .. and I think I'm going to stop saying "blood transfusion" to make it easier on myself when I end up at emerg (not because it's been an emergency, that's just the way care has worked out here) and I'll just say " why is that relevant?".  

Just tossing stuff out there .......

Trish
The stigma is something we all live with, it comes hand in hand with the virus, guess everyone needs a friend.
I picked up hep a at 4yo (1974) in Papua New Guinea (my Dad was an aero engineer).  I don't know (or care) exactly how I picked that up, though I do know it was diagnosed acute and treated in Papua in 74. I also remember it was fun running away from all the nuns at the hospital. Hee hee. In 1975 my family returned to Sydney, Australia. Not long after that I ran through a sheet of plate glass (a door to a verandah, yes folks in Oz, you can thank my accident for the little opaque squares that line all big glass doors now) and cut pretty much the bottom half of my left leg off, bar the bone (as i fell on leg on the glass) and a piece of glass slid down from above and took a pretty big slice of my face off from the cheek inwards. There were some other cuts too. I was really lucky, we were less than a block from a hospital, and the week end before I'd been invited to a new friends birthday party, and it so happened her Dad was a plastic surgeon and he worked from the hospital I was taken too. He rebuilt my face (and beautifully, thank you Dr Warwick Harper of Manly, NSW, Australia) and Dr Simon rebuilt my leg, it took them and their team about 8 hours and they gave me a lot of blood during the proceedure. About a year later I'd recovered and my Mum noticed I was..different. Eventually I had a blood test and I was diagnosed with hep non a non b in late 1976. It's harmless, they said.
I grew up and absolutely ran amok, did all the truely naughty things a good girl can do, including IV drug use. The eighties were big fun. In very late 1989 I had another blood test, hep non a non b had been redefined as hep c, and I've had it since 1975 at least.
Now there are a lot of ways you could look at this scenario, I could have caught it Papua and they just couldn't define it then, I could have caught it during my life saving transfusions, during which at least 5 generous people donated blood to save my and others like me's lives, they would more than likely not have known that they too had the virus and hey...blood laws in the 70's was like the wild west, there was no screening and I could well have contracted HIV as well. Now, although I know I had it before I was a teenager..my choice of recreational activities also could have exposed me to the virus. In my mind, if there were two forums (one self to blame, one victim) I'd have to join both.
To be honest, I almost dont remember not having hep of some description. When I started Pegasus 10 weeks ago I found out I'd had hep a,b and c.  The Hep c is active and through it's gestational 30 odd year period.At last check I had grade 2 fibrosis and right now I'm sitting here writing this waiting for my case worker to call and tell me if my blood count is too low (last count .4 neutrifils).For the first time I'm beginning to feel some med staff...recoil..when I appear with infections at my local country hospital. They are beginning to see that 202,000 odd new infections between 2000 and 2006 is problematic for our communities future (compared to 12,000 odd HIV infections in the same period..about 4,000 of whom have passed away). Anyway, they seem to be beginning to fear it more, and their fear is becoming noticable.
In my heart I know that judge not, lest ye be judged is true.
Here's to beating this absolute bugger of a virus.
Big luv to all
Ness
I found out Nov. 07 HCV 1a.Lot's of thoughts.I found through thinking about what Burt Reynolds said a long time ago, consider yourself rich, (not money), if you Have three True Honest friends in your whole lifetime.Why tell people who don't really care anyways ? Only tell people you trust and love or have to.
Why give people something to talk about ?
We ALL are one in this.We contracted a virus.We didn't want to have to go through any of it but have been dealt this and how we handle it is up to each individual.
Yes, I also feel a badge should go to each individual !
* Just for being told.What a ride.
** Making all the decisions.How hard is that?
etc.
Stars all around for completing treatment !
When we complete treatment or are more clear headed wear our badges with PRIDE for EVERYONE to see.Educate people all around us and Mostly not be ashamed.I'm Not ashamed I have it.I know I'm off the subject a little but wear it, (badge) just to educate and say yes, I had it and feel like it's my time., if only to have one person say, I have it too and don't know what to do.Who cares what another person thinks unless he or she is helping or paying your bills.I've only told a handful and know that's where it will stay.
I'm new to HCV, this forum, etc, but yet have i had one negative response to this from Drs. and all.One exception, the ins. com. another story, another day.
I guess I wanted to share with all of you and this is my way of doing it.Just my own opinion.I did have my IBC Root Beer today for everyone and it tasted good.
Also we think our daughter got a spider bite on her lip and her dr. was closed today so we took her to a new guy for his opinion.He ask about my health.Do you have any health issues ?
I didn't want to tell him and Didn't.I said, no I'm fine.Hmmm ?The beginning of what you guys are talking about ????
I just Hope someday soon we come up with answers to all the problems attached to the stigma, etc.because in the end when all is said and done I for one will NOT lower my head or Standards for anyone.We are One in this and the ship is getting very heavy, soon to tip in one direction, The RIGHT one.We are all human.We should ALL be treated as such.No matter what we have OR how we got it.Have a good week all .Again, just wanted to share.
Tammy
I got hepatitis c via a sexual assault.  I don't like the idea though, among health care providers or anyone else, that hepatitis c is an "at fault" disease where some patients should be viewed as somehow having brought it on themselves.  It is a virus.  Sure, there is a mode of transmission, but the virus exists separately from the mode of transmission, and to me, the focus should be on the virus itself, which is the medical issue at hand.  Date of transmission is relevant to treatment because recently infected people may be eligible for shorter treatment durations, but mode of transmission really isn't relevant medically (I guess it might be a cdc concern...), but it isn't a treatment concern.    

And there are a lot of people who have had multiple things they've been exposed to that could have caused hepc, so they don't know which thing may have been the culprit, or when it happened.
And I explain how I got hep c on my profile page in my narrative because I was an acute patient, and it's part of the story line on how I found out that I was an acute patient so... sorry if that offends anyone, I certainly don't mean for it to do so, but I'm not really sure how I could have written up the whole clinical picture without putting that in there, and then it was kind of a therapeutic thing for me to go ahead and talk about the sexual assault.  Anyway.
Trish:  "And I'm not sure how I feel about anyone getting to wear a badge, really.  It just hits me a certain way as if saying "My badge says NICE people can get Hep C too".  I don't mean that to be offensive to anyone...really just throwing it out there as food for thought."
---------------------------
Actually, far from being offended, I chuckled a little.  My husband's 'badge' isn't what anyone would consider "NICE" lol... it makes people run away, if anything -- truly, stigmatism was my husband's longtime companion long before his diagnosis of hep because his 'badge' would say "Vietnam Veteran" -- and he was very, very poorly treated and received by people for decades simply because he served in the war.  (It aches me that forty years later, he is, in essence, still fighting a war for his life.)  Perhaps it was good training for dealing with current attitudes towards heppers? ;)  Even the treatment nurse last month looking over his chart said, "oh! you're a vet?" and pushed her chair back a few feet away from him...

The visualization of badges in my mind was along the lines of 'hello' name tags at a convention: no names, just individuals representing a transmission route:  "hip-replacement" , "flu-shot", "slam-dancer", "root-canal" , "IVDU", "french manicure", "dragon tattoo" ... etc. We'd fill a room with people in no time... (Maybe "flash cards" would have been a better choice of words ;) ?)

Ness69:
Welcome to the forum.  Though hep c is often called the 'silent killer', you've definitely found one place that refuses to stay quiet about it!  And you're right -- epidemiologists are definitely starting to sit up and take notice... some who are more daring even call it the 'silent epidemic'...
Greetings and Salutations,
Thank you sooo much for the 'hello'. Already feel less alone.
Have been researching my head off and what I see is a problem of monumental proportions mounting. By no means am I giving up this fight, though I have recently decided that when I do die, I will leave my body to research of hep of all 'letters'. As I've mentioned I have had a and b and still have c, and for over 34 years. There has to be some good research that can come of what this has done my body, and I'd hope to think that research will lead to a greater, more accurate understanding and of course, cure. The numbers I've mentioned come from the current HIV and HEP c medico mag and are for Australia. Only a very, very small amount of those 202.000 odd hep c patients have had the virus for more than 30 years (gestational period). I'm going to look into the US stats, though I can feel the anticipation mounting already, we are only 25 million people here, you guys are closer to 250 million, and then there's the continent. The numbers are ...almost overwhelming. It is already, by anyones standards, an epidemic, the only reason people aren't screaming louder is because not enough of us dying from it yet. If hep c's activation period was on a par with the advancement of HIV/AIDS, I think it may be a different story.
On a happier note, my Neutri is at 0.4 and I'm able to have my pegasus today and I'm stoked. I've waited years for the treatment to refine where the stats were reasonable (when I was first offered Interferon 15 odd years ago the positive results were less than 15% and the side effects were...well a lot more radical than Pegasus). Now I'm on this treatment I want to finish it, do it right and get the best possible results. And I'm trying my hardest not to whinge toooo much about how 'out of sorts' I feel everyday. I'm just lucky to be on the treatment and even luckier to have found this forum. Honestly thought I'd pop today, waited 6 hours to hear if I could inject, and during that time I feel I've found a new world of allies and information.
PS Just out of interest (and cause I'm an Aussie) why Eureka? Here it's a miners uprising regarding conditions etc in Ballarat about 150 years ago...Eureka Stokade. Also, love to you and your man, am truely disappointed to hear there is biase to Vets in the US STILL. Since when is it a crime to be an honourable man.
Big Luv
Ness
I too, like Meakea would like more info on your comment about those transfused not being able to clear spontaneously....

What is that based on?  I don't get it............

As for how we got it.....doesn't really matter.....how we deal with it is what matters!

Pam
i agree how we get does not really matter, if the subject is brought up to me i tell anyone who will listen : here are the ways you can get hep,  and have you had a blood test for it recently....most people are shocked thinking only ivdu get hep.

my other point is i dont carry a stigma, i have told anyone who asked if i was sick, YES I HAVE HEP. AND I AM TREATING, most people have omg look on there face and then i say well here is the ways you can get it......and then they are shocked because no one is educated on HEP.  i see the nails salons, using clippers on one client after another, with just a quick spray,
The only time it came back to me was when i filed for FMLA and then my boss kinda got an attitude....but hey i dont care... I WILL TELL ANYONE, AND IF THEY LOOK ME WITH THAT JUDEMENTAL LOOK, they better look out, not only will they get an education from me...they will be going for a hep blood test.... and ya know if they choose not to associate with me(which hasnt happened yet) then i dont need them in my life.

i went through this stigma with Billy who had Aids and i had to hide it from everyone... i wasnt gone through that again...and after he passed i told everyone, he had aids and could not handle the stigma so he took a bottle of pills and ended his life....if i here and ignorant remark about aids or hep, i open my mouth.   because i dont care how you got any disease the fact is We got it.. and we have to deal with...so Educate and Take that stigma you have and push it behind you...Hold you head up~~~no one desevers to be sick no matter what there lifestyle was or is....

just my opinion.....

peace
rita
I also didn't mean to offend anyone.The badge thing.I didn't even think.Go back and pretend I didn't say that, ok? Anyways, from now on I will think before posting like Andiamo suggested.
I do that in real life all the time and that's why my friends call me Lucy.
I am sorry if I did offend anyone.I didn't mean it.
Tammy

Have been researching my head off and what I see is a problem of monumental proportions mounting.
---------------------------------------------
I do too.  I don't think Health / Law Enforcement officials any idea (or maybe they do, it would seem like they would have to) of the real scope of the resurgence of substance abuse out there involving needles. Where people used to shoot up heroin, then cocaine, now they shoot up heroin, cocaine, meth AND different types of pills.  What I saw in college in the mid 80's on campus, and then what I saw in 1990 when I started doing social work has just really snowballed if what I saw in this rural area around here when I tried to help a few people in the area is any idication.  And even though I've now kind of sworn off helping people in the substance abuse area (I'm not very good at it apparently, so I've decided to leave it to the professionals), what I saw really scares me in terms of not just how large the brewing problem with hepc might be, but the fact that there really aren't any testing programs set up for it (except in jail), and there aren't any treatment programs set up for the indigent (seems like you should have the right to treat for something like this, and I know that many people don't know the pharmaceutical companies can help them - and its not like they advertise on tv, and the indigent don't typically have computers), or for addicted communities who may currently be responsible for spreading hepc the most now that transfusions are so much safer.  

So without all of these things, it just seems as though there aren't that many things out there that are meant to safeguard the current high risk groups for hepc.  Unlike HIV, its not using condoms that helps out much here, people need to use clean needles, and be careful not to share their water, and don't jam the same straw or snorting implement up your nose that someone else has had in theirs, things like that.  But I haven't see ANY media, or posters anywhere talking about clean needle programs or giving other safety information, or warning about hepatitis c, or anything of that nature.  

And it just seems to me that when you have a disease like this, where people CAN live thirty years post infection date untreated, you have a certain percentage of them who will die never knowing they were infected.  So of course, they aren't going to know to take precautions not to spread it if they are involved in any high risk behaviors during all that time.  Of the remainder, there are a certain percentage who know they have it, but just don't care enough about others (or are just in denial), to worry about spreading it, and they also have quite a few years to spread it if they are still engaged in high risk behaviors.  In fact, I see that as kind of a conundrum.  If you don't get the addicted community treated somehow, it will just get larger and larger.  So what is the answer for that?  I wish there was a way to offer them treatment regardless since this is a health problem.
This is a really great thread. Powerful stuff. Perhaps I should clarify: I was fairly naive to any stigma re: HepC until I started educating myself.  I'm just kind of oblivious that way, "I've not cared much in the past about what people think, why start now?"  Then it dawned on me, "It's not just ME anymore-whatever happens to me affects my wife, my children..." and then the "committee" starts:"Everyone will think you were/are a drug addict.  They'll assume you have hiv, and when you lose weight in tx, they'll think, "AIDS". People are ignorant and fearful." (Do you know my computer's spell check thinks I'm misspelling "HIV" when I write "HCV"?   It underlines it!  Even the da*n computer has issues!)  But I digress... I'm not interested in what people think about me...and I'm not inclined to hang out with people who might judge that way, anyhow. And  I'm not so worried about what folks think in here,  you're my support group and we're protected by our anonymity anyway...But at home? What if the parents of my children's playmates get the gossip and suddenly little Johnny or Judy doesn't come to play anymore? (Yes, I live in that kind of a place now- not the anything- goes-it's-all-OK world that I met the virus in.) My wife would be ostracized, kids shunned. Really. it may seem selfish  but I'm  sick of people being hurt as a result of my actions.  I  want to protect them,  and I may not be able to.  Sounds like whining. Da*n. Anyway, that's all I meant. As usual, it's all about me. Ha ha. :)
P.S.- I've never encountered jugment-ism in this forum.
Except when mremeet called me a "baboon". But I got over that.
It IS a good thread, isn't it? I've seen both sides of the "stigma"...the point of view from a health care worker taking care of patients with hep C, as well as having it myself...the stigma from the medical aspect goes deeper than thinking it as a IVDU disease...it's fear...A global fear of contracting something from a patient that they will take home to loved ones...It is drummed into them that if you get hep C, you die. Most don't know there is a treatment for it...
Funny thing is, for the most part, hep C is the easiest one to avoid. With the exception of the rare needle stick, most of the patient's blood doesn't get through the protective barriers that smart medical people use...I worry more about MRSA , meningitis and TB...
I believe this has been put in my path for a reason...I have the knowledge and resources to get others to listen and learn...I believe that I can do this and make a difference...
You're right though...it is nice to come somewhere where everyone knows what it's like and offers support instead of judgment...                        ~Melinda
Well maybe in a year, when my brain returns to normal and I can think again will I actually make more efforts on educating others. For now, I barely have enough energy to only sleep 12 hours a day rather than 16+. :) and I refuse to waste whats left on defending myself against the stigma.

To HCV, transmission is meaningless, but to others it can be important. As an ex-junkie, I do fear losing my job, which I can't really afford to do right now, so I do keep quiet. When this is all over for me, I will go from there and I WILL wear my badge with honor knowing that I have overcome HCV and gone through more hell than most people will ever understand.

Maybe a Brownie Button on my forehead, what you all think? ;)
How about 'HCV Free..how bout you?'
I'd wear that.
ahh ram921 you are fun..

=)
Ooohhh...I LIKE that! I'm getting a T-shirt made!                       ~melinda
i'd wear that Tee shirt!

pace rota
Maybe a tattoo!  ( Hey, is that in poor taste? )
Like Alagirl, I wear a certain badge (home invasion - per my bio). I have talked about my source of infection for a few reasons:

1. I like talking about myself, and it relieves some stress from time to time. It helps me to talk about the "incident too", I keep thinking I have moved on, but from time to time, I want to go over it again, and this is a good outlet.
2. Like Alagirl, I got acute symptoms, and know exactly when they kicked in, how long from the infection, and how for me, monotherapy did not work.
3. I am living proof that a fight can pass on Hep C - I have no doubt others have contracted this way, without knowing it.
4. Everybody I know, and even people I don't know, know I have Hep C thanks to media attention. I end up having to talk to everybody about it (what is it? Can't you get that from drinking bad water.. etc. etc.). I feel like a teacher or something - it gets very tiring very quickly.
5. Becasue of 4., many people with Hep C have come up to me, and talked about it (people I never knew had the disease).

I've never felt there is a "good" or "bad" way to get the disease. I did a lot of stupid stuff as a kid, and could just have easily got Hep C from some of the things I did. But, that's not what happened with me. There is a massive stigma attached to this disease. People were "releived" and "happy" when I acheived SVR, but I wonder how many of my peers who don't have Hep C, would have cared as much, if I had contracted another way, or an unknown way? Very few, I'd expect, which is the sad reality of this disease, the victims are blamed by society (much like HIV I guess).
Considering that hep c has only been "identified" in the last 20 years, my thinking is that it's simply masqueraded itself well, defying discovery, causing damange and death while escaping blame.  Even today, when people die of complications of hep c, what do we hear? Not that someone died of "complications of hep c" -- it's "liver failure" -- or "gastric bleeding" -- or "liver cancer" -- no one (not family members, not doctors, not even pathologists/medical examiners)  point to hep c -- it's always the symptoms caused by the virus that are noted and given attention.  (Now, whether this is done to protect people against the stigma while at the same time perpetuating it is another variable in the equation I won't explore today...)

And those of you making those great t-shirts ;)... I applaud you.  On the flip side, I can imagine there's a percentage of people who treat HCV successfully only to never think or talk about it again. (I respect people's individual choices, but it disheartens me to contemplate the vicious cycle of silence and stigmatism...)  

~eureka
you re one smart cookie hon.
smiles
Ness
and I'm sticking to it.
What a great thread!

Personally, I do not care about how others got the disease.

Of course, if someone wants to talk about it, I do care. But it is out of compassion and not to put people in boxes. For all I know we are in the same box, boat, or whatever one may call it. This virus does not discriminate, so why should I.

The thing is that I never associated HCV with a stigma. That must be, because of my prior ignorance about the illness...  Before I was diagnosed I didn't know anything else about it, than it being a liver disease. So I actually learned about the associated stigma while educating myself on HCV.

My stance on it is pretty much like rita's. I really don't give an effing eff what people think about me having the disease. I tell anyone I choose to and have until now not had one negative reaction and I try to educate ppl about HCV. All my family and friends have been very supportive. And other people have been ver sympathetic.  If I did have a negative reaction, I know that I would not have a problem handling it. I'm not treating yet, so lets wait for the time ppl will ask me why I look so sick. I will tell them that I'm on treatment  for HCV. Frankly,  if certain people would not want to know me because of it, yes, I would definitely be better off without them.

ram921  Thank God I don't live in a society, where my disease could hurt my family in anyway.  I would never put my children into the kind of situation you are mentioning. So I sooo understand if you would keep your disease to yourself.

I pray that we will all be able to go through this in a dignified way and protect our loved ones, if they need to be protected. Also that we may educate society and get all our governments to do their utmost to educate the public and to provide treatment!

Marcia

I could have sworn I posted on this again days ago!?

Ness, I got mention of you being Geno 2, 24 weeks in a PM (another 2ber) and just wanted to say welcome. I also was :) 2b, 24 wks.  Actually, welcome to you too Ram, I'm not on here as much since going back to the 'real world'. I did take your thread as feeling that there was stigma here, which I have seen in other new posters, but only at first. They quickly realized no one here is judging… as out there. As said, we're not immune to it even here, but it's not tolerated or spoken of much that I have seen.

Kickboxin....you didn't say anything wrong, don't apologize!!! All thoughts, input is welcome in threads.

The badge thing....that was ONLY in the sense of however you got it.....anyone here deserves one for battling this disease, suffering with it and tx, no matter how you got it. Take it as Kickboxin 1st meant it, I used it, a metaphor for lack of a better word.
(No offense taken, just clarifying the use of the word badge) The T-shirt is about the same idea here. Bottom line is it doesn't matter how anyone got it (tho thru acts of violence of course our sympathies should be there for that alone.) but living with it, treating it, the damage from it , we're ‘equal’ in this.

Ala, Moa....very, very good thoughts, points! If I went into input on treating the addiction/drug population this would get way too long!  Making clean syringes available…. that was done due, mostly, to AIDS. An addict WILL use a dirty, shared needle if that is all they have. Their addiction (disease) controls, not ‘oh, I should wait for a new needle’ and so on. (Hep testing at meth clinics? etc….I better stop! )

I don't give an eff (Marcia's lingo, lol:) what people think either & I would distance myself from any 'friends' that reacted badly. I live it both ways, I inform, discuss it with many and I dismiss it with others that I see it going nowhere with or see that they are that  righteous, BS, ignorant type. And sometimes I'm just tired of explaining it! I had a guy lecturing me on being careful next time I help in an accident (held a rag on a guys bleeding head as the cop would not touch him!).....about carrying gloves in my car due to AIDs and HEP.  In one sense I got the 'stigma' vibe from him, on the other it was refreshing for a paramedic to be aware that Hep is not just a sex/drug user disease.
(medicm's comment on what's in their medical manuals!)
  I feel judging one for how they got any disease is just wrong. Think the majority agree on that. It'd be like telling a (smoker) lung cancer patient, 'well, you did it to yourself, too bad'. Or me telling my best friend as she was passing away of cervical cancer .."well, you SHOULD have gotten that pap smear". No one does that! (No one decent!) Shouldn't be done with us either, but sadly, it is.

It is up to each individual to handle it in whatever way they see fit for their own life's, job's, situations they are in. Ram's points of not having his wife, kids ostracized  are valid, it happens every day, all day. Sad, wrong, but true. Those that want to declare it loudly must also understand the other side of that coin when others need to keep it quiet.

I also feel it's up to each person as to whether they want to share how they acquired Hep, on this social side, on these threads. In any of my replies on the subject, I tell my story with the intent of making anyone else more comfortable with telling theirs or in feeling they are not judged HERE for it.

Great thread, great input!

LL

Trish....This has to be one of the safest places I have ever been to be able to talk about Hep C and to be open about almost all aspects of it.........
Absolutley. (and we do see everything asked here:)  I just want/hope anyone coming into here see's that also. We're here to inform, learn, support and fight the disease and the stigma together. No one should be left out, any different in this.
  I agree, good point on ....why should any nurse, medical professional ask how we acquired it, as they should know that has absolutely nothing to do with treating us, other than our hep, tx Dr.
(emergency’s, other health issues. Transfusions the exception concerning tx)
And…..I too am wondering ....since I am UND, do I have to still share that with someone I date??? (another thread!).

Marcia....The thing is that I never associated HCV with a stigma.....
Made me think.....I also never had stigma on this, but also knew NOTHING about it either.

Eureka....Even today, when people die of complications of hep c, what do we hear? Not that someone died of "complications of hep c"....
Also good points! This threads making me think, it's too late to be thinking so much:)

Ness.....'HCV Free..how bout you?' ....
I'd wear that too......HOPEFULLY after my 24 wk. labs, Aug 25.  It'd make many ask and I'd bet many would then get tested. May be wearing that one on a few bike runs! I've thought of putting together a Hep Awareness bike run....proceeds going to the liver foundation, Hep awareness. My thinking has included having a mobile testing unit there, etc. I've e-mailed others riders on this.
No stereotyping whatsoever ...as I am one and don't 'party', but partying is pretty prevalent amongst bikers. A male nurse that rides had the attitude of IV users disease! I think many would show just for the test. So few people know that they can contract it from a coke straw, I can’t imagine how many …in all walks of life….would run and get tested if they only KNEW that alone.

Ram.....Except when mremeet called me a "baboon". But I got over that. .....
Yeah but that's baboon stigma thread :)

I gotta get off of this thread and sleep!

LL
I didn't apoligize because I said something wrong.I did it because I didn't realize what some people had gone through.That's horrible Eureka 254's husband was treated with such bxxx sxxx as pushing chair back etc.I agree with the vietnam vet thing.My brother served as a paratrooper and he's not here anymore but the stigma just from serving alone .I read in an article where 67% of vietnam vets have hcv.
Thank you Lady Lauri.As alway's your here to help .I like the T-Shirts better anyway's.--------------------
          Front              HCV Free !
                                   You ?

Back              Ways to contract it.

Get Tested !
I hope everyone is having a good week .In a few years wouldn't it be nice to look back on this forum and all here that are going through treating etc. would all be SVR and just helping others...
God Bless All,
Tammy
As for as the Lucy thing.I brought home a old english sheepdog one time,gave him a bath in our tub.Stopped up the septic tank.Paid good money to get it fixed, but found the dog a good home.Things like that.I'm always doing things or saying things without thinking through.
Oh well, that's getting better.Now back to the stigma.Thanks all, good thread.

I had to laugh at myself...Talk about stigmas...When you mentioned putting together a bike run, I just assumed you meant a BICYCLE run...LOL  Here In Western WA, the number of bicyclists far outnumber the motorcycles because of our consistent damp, cold weather most of the year...But, you're right...Regardless of motorized or not, it would be an excellent awareness idea...I think those pin-on buttons would be an excellent thing to give to people who do get tested...Better yet, I think I can get volunteer nurses, paramedics, and lab techs to draw the blood!....and local hospitals to donate supplies...I'm already making notes for flyers...I think I'll target the date for our Seattle to Portland race next summer...What a good way to get the message through that this dragon can bite anybody...                                      ~Melinda
LOL! My butt needs a few bicycle rides right now! The motorcycle makes for great arms tho! If this happens anywhere near you .....you can ride with me :) Or I'll put you on the back with a hottie biker guy :)

I'll PM you tonight or tomorrow! I already spoke to the lady doing Nicks donations and she gave me other #'s also. My minds going a mile a minute on this now! E-mailed a few friends, thinking on some Harley dealers being involved, etc. I'm wondering if the blood donor mobile unit could be there...donate blood and/or free Hep testing, something like that. This can be done! May take months to organize so it's at a big bike event, but I'm  checking into a lot, legalities being first in the labs,etc. I'm loving this idea.
(nawww, I'm not too busy ALREADY!)

LL
Y'all are AWESOME!!  I can't wait to hear how this works out.  
Long thread, and I'm late to it already. But I just want to say kudos to Ram and LL for their openness and honesty in dealing with such difficult life problems and with the stigma issue. It is there and I feel it everyday, whether imposed by others or myself.

I can certainly understand those who wish to avoid the stigma by wearing the "not my fault" badge.  I would if I could (it is a possiblility that I got it from IVDU similar to LL circumstances). Those who choose to wear the badge should probably do so with sensitivity to others. I think most all on this forum are very good about this. All we can do is try to help each other. We all probably get enough stigma and defensiveness in the world.

The whole stigma thing really hurts, but it is not going away. I like Kierkegaard: "if you label me, you negate me."  

My next favorite quote is probably Flguy: "Thinking and tx'ing are not compatible."  ;)
i wish i could to...( i got it via ivdu)...i have to deal with the stigma because i have bad marks....but now im soo proud of me no stigma can bring me down
ive fought so hard to get clean and equally as hard to clear this virus
im very pro about my hcv status (at first i was only telling family...scared of stigma)
i hope my situation gives someone else the courage to face these similar situations
i used to hide my marks with long sleeve ....now i wear short...i dont even care obout looks anymore
its a really big accomplishment for me
but in my advocasy i let people know the ways of tranmission also because most people do believe this is only tranmitted thru ivdu or transfusion
Kimmy: Your comment about the arms made me think. My veins never looked like they have since my transplant. I think the student nurses at the hospital are much more clueless about the process of venous puncture than any junkie I ever met. :-)  I mean I got poked about 15 times in the hospital in order to get two IVs and two blood cultures. My wrists looked like  pincushions and my inside of elbows were bruised and swollen.

I appreciate all of you courageous people that can stare down the stigma issue. I can't help but love and admire you for it. It hardens my own resolve to do something to combat the ignorance and stigma.

Good thread!
so true....
My veins look bad also from my accident,  i even had ivs in my neck!

be proud of the courage it takes to be clean and stay that way,  I doubt most people would even notice.    

Walrus..."Thinking and tx'ing are not compatible."  ;) ......LOL! I haven't seen that one!
And thank you :)

Kimmy....I LOVE< LOVE<LOVE hearing when someone conquers the battle of addiction. I have never been ashamed of my experimental years and have used my stories many times to help. My son once brought a friend of his to me to tell my past, talk to about drugs as he'd started using. I was open with them and their friends as soon as they were at that age of temptations, peer pressure. My youth made me who I am today and made me get into ...things I do at times :) You have the idea....use it to help now. I'll never forget walking someone into a rehab, listening to this woman rattle off, pulling her aside and saying "WHAT? Have you ever done drugs?"..."no mam, I've never even smoked pot"...."than how the hell can you preach what your preaching?" (you had to be there, it was deserved!) Rehabs truly need some people that have been there ,done that. Sorry to go off on a roll here :)
What you did is harder than anything many will ever go up against in their life.  You get that SVR and enjoy your life. Those scars are battle wounds, you won.

LL

And thank you :)

LL

Only parts are posting?? What's up with this?

LL
This is wierd...peeing me off! Only parts will post?

LL

It must be sun spots...LOL                            ~Melinda
Kimmy....not sure what's going on.
Love.....hearing when someone conquers the battle of addiction. I have never been ashamed of my experimental years and have used my stories many times to help. My son once brought a friend of his to me to tell my past, talk to about drugs as he'd started using. I was open with them and their friends as soon as they were at that age of temptations, peer pressure. My youth made me who I am today and made me get into ...things I do at times :) You have the idea....use it to help now. I'll never forget walking someone into a rehab, listening to this woman rattle off, pulling her aside and saying "WHAT? Have you ever done drugs?"..."no mam, I've never even smoked pot"...."than how the hell can you preach what your preaching?" (you had to be there, it was deserved!) Rehabs truly need some people that have been there ,done that. Sorry to go off on a roll here :)
Geeeeezzzz! Not sure what that was all about.

SORRY !
Sun spots....that must have been those pesky lifeguards!!
LOL! What the flock was going on there?? Tx nightmares were coming back :)

Actually, I think I made better sense on here thru out tx!! Now that IS scary!
I know what you mean. I have saved my story for a few rare occassions when I thought my kids were in a position to benefit from them. My kids always complained that they couldn't get away with anything because Dad was wise to the deal.

In everyday life at work, I am a little reluctant to try to do this as it just doesn't seem to fit. I have tried to steer a few seemingly wayward youths into a different frame of reference for life vs. drugs, but I have been a missionary by no means. I think I made a difference in a few. That is a golden opportunity. We all need some of that.
Some people live off judgement and others problems. I tell my story to anyone that cares to hear it and if they judge me too flippin bad. My biological mother was 13 when she had her first child. She had 3 more children by her 18 birthday. We [my 3 sisters] had to be adopted together because of the things that happened to us in our birth home. My mother was pimped out by her own mother! [I sound judgemental dont I?] My 2 older sisters are carriers of hep c, I have hep c the youngest has a whole batch of health problems. I dont hate my biological mother, I feel very sorry for her. People who pass judgement need to remember that carma has a way of biting you in the butt when you try to hurt someone with words and judgement. I dont think it matters how a person gets it, we have to get thru it somehow. I had a gastroenterologist that treated me like i didnt have the right to ask him for help. I nearly committed suicide because of him, luckily I moved to the coast to die and found a wonderful doctor. Im looking at a transplant because the peg and ribavarin didnt work..still I wont give in, Im gonna fight til the grim reaper catches me. I have 2 grown daughters and 2 grown step sons and 12 granchildren. I am important to my family and they need me. I dont give a rats behind what anyone else thinks!
I forget where I read about transfusion related cases never clearing on their own. If I remenber correctly, it has something to do with the huge quantity of virus involved in transfusion compared to most other means of transmission.
Good for you.That's the attitude that got you where you are at today.Good luck to you and your family.12 grandchildren.What a way to spend the holidays.That's sweet ! Oh and expensive.I really do wish the best for you and yours.It sounds like your on the right track now.Some Drs. should not be in the field but they are...
God Bless and keep us posted on your progress,
Tammy