Hepatitis Social Community
migration

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

migration

so many people joining the nomads
is it because here is dictatorship type of forum?
James, I'm down to 2 myself, if ya want them, you better get them quick, as they may be gone in a flash.
(I see they added some new cookies--check your settings)
probably.  Stuff happens
they say people vote with their feet

so sad to see the stampede
"is it because here is dictatorship type of forum? " I don't think that is the problem. Now it's a for profit model trumping compassion here. Using IE and macfee, after blocking the adware,spyware, tracking cookies--it takes 5 minutes for a page to load.
Okay, so what's a nomads?
wanderers who go  from one place to another for sustenance as there are now many other sites.
Nomads is UK-based Hep C forum:

http://hepcnomads.co.uk/

--Bill
Thank you.
the nomads are not moderated and yet hardly argue

There is actually lots of  disagreement there...as there should be....what is to be learned by everyone always agreeing with one another?.
I've seen some heated discussions at Nomads whereas I can't remember any passionate discussions here lately. We should also keep in mind that there is nowhere near the amount of traffic there as there is here so you'd expect fewer disagreements. As Proactive noted, the profit motive does change the landscape considerably. I think this place was a much better and more entertaining place before profit entered into the picture.
That's progress I guess - from someone's point of view anyway.

Mike
Those were the days my friend we thought they'd never end.
mike

there 2000 members , but constant threads it is busier there than here,

willy

yes i have seen arguments but they are just passion driven, here it seems to be for no reason

iam not comparing  they  both have value, but being so moderated and full of adverts does seem to be becoming a problem here
thx bill for clarifying nomads. mine was a good guess but wrong! good to hear some of my ol pals pipe up. i thought u had gone elsewhere for sustenance!!! miss u, babs
jusjames & babs824:

Speaking for myself, it's just a matter of widening of resources: the more knowledge and networking the better, rather than it just being an either/or proposition.
Your right Nomads was set up in the beginning by a band of people that had either been banned or walked away from another forum due to the dictatorship of the owner, heavy moderation and censorship of posts, it was his way or the highway attitude.
Its always been Nomads gain him being a ****** the forum has been driven into the ground and graveyard springs to mind.
Nomad members have worked hard to gain insight and up to date knowledge to share with others.we have members like CS, Co, Debs, and many medics that are willing and able to volunteer time to give back to those in need.
Not going to deny we have fall outs of course we do but we dont delete posts rather move them to the appropriate section that was set up for anything that gets heated....Slug it out if you wish is our attitude....
Has it worked?....Well we are waiting our 2000 member and only been going since Dec2007.....
I have in the past when joining other forums been told I am not allowed to mention the Nomads or put my link to my website in my profile...
I see no problem with people using all forums for support I know Nomads wouldnt fit all as MH wouldnt fit some Nomad members...Its all about widening your support......
Px

Oh and founders might be UK based but the forum is global....
I dont see a problem with it we were always encouraging people to go check out a few other forums and sites over the years as well..........not everyone is a perfect fit for everything but everyone with HCV needs help at some time or another.

I too think we should be able to slug things out more like in the olden days, plenty of heated discussions ended up changing the way that I felt about something and ended up helping me SVR. I've had to admit I was wrong many a time but I never would have learned if it weren't for some of those 'arguments'.

Plus there has been too many banned - the whole concept is just wrong in my book and we lost too many good people who made the forum what it was.

But I just post here, I dont' work here.
Hi Everyone,

Because MedHelp's communities are a safe haven for everyone, we have terms of use that we must abide to. We agree that "lively" discussions can be productive, but not when they fall outside of our TOS http://www.medhelp.org/termsofuse.htm .. but you all know this so let me get to an idea ...

Currently, we cannot move entire threads to a User Group, but what if we create a User Group for HepC Lively Discussions .. you come up with the name for it.  Perhaps, by working together, if a thread needs to come down you can continue the conversation in a User Group where the rules may be more suitable for the discussions you want to see continued that cannot remain on our main community due to arguing, disruption, etc. etc.

We (or you) can repost the original question on the user group, and then anyone who wants to participate can continue to chat there.

What are your thoughts?

We have something very special here, at MedHelp, and we can create a group here at MedHelp so members, like you, can get support on a large scale as mentioned above.   Nobody should feel they need to leave us for another forum :)  

We may be "large", but we are small enough that we listen to our members and try our best to find solutions to our members' needs.

Best,

Cheryl
MH Community Mgr
One of the greatest threats to any customer-facing organization (for profit or not) begins when any customer-facing representative begins "it's our policy...."  The terms under whcih a customer is a customer is governed by the customer, unless it's monopoly (but we're not permitted to talk politics or religion).
I just have little faith that if this were to be that people wouldn't be banned anyway for not being 'civil' enough or whatever.......so I doubt I would use the feature.
Too little too late.................Oh wait.................Does that mean the banned members will be coming back to use the new feature?

We could call it 'The Lions Den"   oh wait....thats taken!
If you bring back the good people who have been kicked off here, fine.  Otherwise I agree with GSDgirl - too little too late.

LOL so funny.......................Px
Hi, folks,

User groups aren't a new feature --  you've had this option for several years, and it looks like there are a few hundred of them.  Some of them were started for the purposes of discussing medical issues, and others were created to discuss other issues like religion, politics and soap operas.  They can be public, private, or by invitation, and are moderated by the person(s) who opens them.  That means that they have the ability to accept or refuse posts and members.

Current Groups: http://www.medhelp.org/search/expanded?cat=forums&query=user+groups
How to: http://www.medhelp.org/tags/health_page/15977/MedHelp/MedHelp---Groups?hp_id=1021

Claire
How about Naughty Step?.....
Naughty Step?  Is that the stairway to Cyberia?
No......Stairway to heaven.  once you get there you ain't never comin' back
Who decides who the "good people" are?  That's pretty subjective.  Especially when nobody knows for sure why they were banned in the first place.  Everybody has their own take on that it seems.

For example for me, I don’t think the people who took out fake ID's to harrass other people on the forum should be allowed back on.  What do you think, Lovebird99?  Should people banned for taking out fake ID's be allowed back on?  See where it can get tricky?
" hoping i am not out of line here, just trying to understand"
You want someone here to start a group and they will be admin and moderator to that group, they have the power to add or ban those they want or don't want in the group, any thread that gets a little heated you have the power to "chuck it" into the group for it to be "discussed" away from the main board?.

Hey PX...it would take us 8 months of arguing to see who the admin was going to be  LOL
I don't know who lovebird is or was but there are quite a few VERY knowledgable people banned.  People who referred to studies and posted fact, not peole like a lot of those still here that post their own unproven theories.

What is the worst of 2 "evils" outspoken people speaking from FACT or people rambeling on & on about what THEY think will work????
You have one toe over the edge of discussing American politics.
I don't know about fake IDs but I know some very interesting people are not coming here any more.  I know some left because the moderation was too much for them.  It stifles the discussion.  Just sayin.
The User Group idea is a suggestion with which members can do as they wish.  And no... while we certainly "have the power" to "chuck" a discussion, we're not that hard up for things to do. :)  We'll moderate the areas we moderate, but have no plans for additional housekeeping.  
I'm lovebird - I have always had that side, you know.

I say get rid of long posters....... or at least put a limit on them.
if a thread needs to come down you can continue the conversation in a User Group where the rules may be more suitable for the discussions you want to see continued that cannot remain on our main community due to arguing, disruption, etc. etc.

Just replying and trying to clarify your original posts, where it states ....We.........can repost the original question that needs to come down..?..
We can repost this topic in a group you create if you like, but we won't be doing that with other discussions.
I have set up a group "Hepatitis C Hot Topics" and all are invited.
So this suggestion is a one time thing???  What about all the other heated discussions that DO serve a purpose?   They don't count?    Not enough at all
American politics? i can't keep up with British ones
Just to clarify....

We can repost this topic in a group you create if you like, but we won't be doing that with other discussions............................

...................So any thread that gets heated Lovebird as Admin and Moderator of "hepatitis C Hot Topics" can request it gets moved into his section?.....and as you stated above you will move it?.....
Hi Pixie,

I'm not sure how this will work, how I move a topic or how it gets done.  But I would welcome a pm from any moderator who will walk me through the process.  Meanwhile, the group is open to all and let's see what we can do here.
Michael is so eloquent, indeed much ♥ but I think you are more a stud than a tweety pie.
Here's the link so anybody who wants can find the group.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Hep-C-Hot-Topics/show/1119
Oh Mike is a Mr studly!!!! and we all just love him!  His knowledge is unsurpassed .
@Nomadpixie -- this was originally suggested, but on review, we realized that it would put the responsiblity for member behavior on the moderators.  The whole idea behind user groups is that we don't intervene.  So no... we will not be moving discussions to a user group, by request or otherwise.  

If a discussion gets heated in this area (Hepatitis Social), we have no problem with it, but we will continue to step in if our Terms of Service are breached.  As moderator of Hepatitis C Hot Topics, lovebird is free to moderate as she/he sees fit - we won't be moderating there.
lovebird, feel free to PM me if you need any help.
Sounds like more sillyness
Another good idea shut down once again
Well you are rather silly CanCan aren't you - you should be right on board ;)
JUST KIDDING!
Hey Pixie dont feel bad the only thing I know about British politics is that the Prince is getting married. That's like it.........

i can't keep up with British ones "
Silly you say??....... Well let me tel you i've been told worse. Heres a thought, i would moderate and set the rules for the women.. Sound like a plan?...:)

S. Bush
You know, Mike...funny you should say that.  That's the exact word that comes to mind when I think of you....lovebird.  All the little birdies tucked under your wing, like the daddy lovebird.  Looks good on you, Mike. Well....you kids ...uh...birds, ha ha! have fun...I can see you're off to a great start already - I wouldn't have expected anything else. :)  
Youz guys is speakin' English, so why is I thinkin' pigeon?
Your mind has a translator like no other ... we see and speak of love-birds, and you invision pigeon-holing folks. :o)
I'm guessing that's different than corn-holing?
Kinda, you stuff the Corn in there to attract the Pigeons to go in.
I read this forum for years before I posted.  When I began the whole place looked different with no ads and pretty much no moderators.  The format changed and they added stars and green checkmarks and trackers and advertising.  Everything had to be nice and if people began to post with passion the thread might suddenly disappear.  A few times I have seen threads go away.  A few times I have seen people say they wish they could continue a discussion and they want to know more on a subject, but if the thread heats up its lost.

I guess what I wish is could we please have a place to continue the discussion so each of us can decide when they are finished with the subject, instead of having a "thread closed" post put an end to it.  Today medhelp suggested a user group where we can do that.  So I set one up.

Its not sinister.  Nobody is looking for pigeons.  There is no daddy lovebird, its just me and I don't want to argue about how we argue, I want to get to the merits of the subject.

Come on in, or don't.  Its all the same to me.
Why would someone have a snooty thing to say about a very respected member that has helped so very many on this board is beyond me.  Always something negative or not so nice.  Mike has helped me immensely along with others and he deserves kudos for all he does!!

Mike I hope you ignore the derogatory post

JMHO
Somehow fitting that it all started with migration and is now for the birds...
Funny stuff R Glass. That corn can migrate too. North to South - iffen you don't chew it enuff.
Somehow, as I get older and find more time to feed corn to the pigeons, the migration from North to South I'm concerned about isn't the birds or the corn.
Maybe I'm confusing migration with gravity.
Gravity got you down, eureka? Ya know your in trouble when you head to the lingerie department shopping for a 36 long.
Worth considering, Goofy... is it migration... gravity... or really suction?
Guess the kind of trouble a woman has is the kind of trouble a man wants.
"it just goes to show how people here feel. " Yes, but as a "for profit" business model clicks are clicks, and I suspect from the drop in public postings here,there is plenty of money being made on the private message side (g)...
If you want to see the time line of changes made here on the forum, just look at the companies financial filing changes over that same time line and do a comparison. It's called, from "non profit" to "for profit"
http://www.sunbiz.org/scripts/cordet.exe?action=DETFIL&inq_doc_number=F06000007761&inq_came_from=NAMFWD&cor_web_names_seq_number=0000&names_name_ind=N&names_cor_number=&names_name_seq=&names_name_ind=&names_comp_name=MEDHELPINTERNATIONAL&names_filing_type=
STARS    

the other day i had 3 , now its one
this is a silly punishment and rewards system , stars are counter productive in my view
should stars go ?
thanks Proactive
Big Daddy Woot Woot!
Dont ya know it (jealousy turns many a sickly looking green I'm thinkin') but you are our Big Bad Daddy ♥ So now we can add a wolf to the farm.

you better have the best answer then ha ha

stars are silly!
If I gave my best answer, I'm sure it would be more than just the stars that would be taken away........;^)
(I appreciate the effort, I know it's working because the fan in my computer just kicked up a few notches(g))
"... or really suction"

Nothing wrong with a little suction. So where'd you get the name Eureka anyway?
((((((Well....you kids ...uh...birds, ha ha! have fun))))))     Hey........is someone callin' me a kid????

That's OK, Big Daddy has got a lot of our backs!!

Goof, I would settle for a 36 medium
Just wear a helmet when on the trampoline and you should be fine. And thank your stars  pogo-ing died in the 80s.
No problem, helmets I have.......motorcycle and horse back riding.  I think I'd rather pogo tho
Then go for it!  Knock yourself out.
I probably will, I ain't as youg as I used to be  hahahaha
♫  Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now ♪
Be careful out there. It's a cold, hard world: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/video/man-killed-lovers-breast-10329385

OK.Maybe that's not cold. Or hard. More like soft, smooshy, forgiving and delightful. But be careful just the same.
Touche.  The truth is, in any style of dress or design, within is just a dirty old bag.
Haha! At least she's a clever old bag. Very nice pull!
Yahooooooo
We have another forum to spread our wings:)

It's a good thing, because, I only have one star left now:( and I have
no idea where the others went....thinking....candoman !!!!
took them again:)  
The darn stars are so close together that I can't tell if I have 4 or 5.......maybe it's only 3.
You have , 4 !! :) they look pinkish to me.  
I guess J Edgar Hoover was just an old bag, too. He dressed like one anyway.
".thinking....candoman !!!!
took them again:) "

Yep, and theres only a couple of ways to get them back...:)

Sheesh! And I though 2 pink ones were nirvana. What's a body to do with four?
"Sheesh! And I though 2 pink ones were nirvana. What's a body to do with four? "

Maybe two on the back for dancing???
Dang, son. I like the way you think. Handles. With little service buttons. Just like on the airplanes.
Just like on the airplanes?
--------------------
Surely you jest! You'd have to be so very careful on descent... goodness knows the ramifications of pushing the wrong sequence of buttons could result in *ears* popping, loss of pressure, or complete engine failure.
Remember, every landing is just a controlled crash!
Great point. I think on descent it's prudent to attend to the single button, and also to besure your tray is in the locked position. Also, do note that when descent is anticipated, de-scent is in order.  
de scent
why ? do stars from the rear end smell that bad
Ummmm
I only know of one way, is there two ways? :)
BTW you have four too:)

Goof
What you don't know won't hurt you:)
It won't hurt you, but will it make you fell all warm and fuzzy?
Prudence notwithstanding, I would anticipate de-scent to smell far less bad than as-cent.
Prudence always looked better lying down anyway. And better yet, on all fours.
Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by incapacity.   William Blake
Yeah. Well, I gave up on courting rich lookers some time ago. At some point we accept our limitations.