new dentist
if starting with a new dental group do you have to declair that you had hcv if you are svr. Really want to start off fresh seeing as my last dentist kinda shunned me when he found out I had it. Would really like to put this in the past. Anyone want to chime in. Thanks and hope all my old cyber friends are doing well. :)
No. It's none of their business.
    I agree with FIGUY. And like you, I too felt shunned at the Dentist, and they had this huge "CAUTION Hep C" hand written on the front of my chart, I had noticed.
     The thing is this:  the Hep C test is not mandatory, and there are tons of
people walking around, who dont even know they have it, so it is up to the dentist, to use the same precautions with all of us.
     I am a little bit scared now, about the tools that the Dentist uses. I would make sure to question your new Dentist as to there sterilization techniques.
    I know that after HIV came about, they did a heating thing clalled "auto-clave" or somethinglike that, but would that heat also kill the Hep C virus?g
I honestly dont care and tell all my health practitioners straight out.  If they dont like it, I'll shun them that is for sure.
Absolutely!

Why give our business to ignorant, prejudiced people? No thanks.
Don't encourage the morons.

It is their business to educate their staff on the reality of infectious disease. If they don't, they probably are not up to date of the latest dental developments either. I vote with my feet. Adios!

In my opinion it is time to come out of the closet and not feel ashamed because we have hep C. It isn't like we volunteered for this. By hiding it we are only allowing the ignorance to continue. Let's put it out there and talk about it. Spread the word. It is not some evil scary thing. It is just a virus and in most cases it can be cured. That hep C is taboo is ridiculous. How can we criticize people for being ignorance about hep C when we play the same game? I also tell my dentist and anyone else who is interested that I have cirrhosis and liver cancer. We all get ill at sometime in our lives. It is a fact of life. For people that can't deal with it...that is their problem, not mine.

;-)
Hector
The staff at my dentist office, have been in my loop of support. It became easier for me to tell people as time passed. I think people do need to be educated.
I also told my hairdresser, and the optometrist and anybody who is going to touch my body.
Cheers,
C
Well, I've shared and found some less than supportve folks.

I was sent home from the emergency room when I was in serious

pain, with nothing, after I told a nurse to use gloves.                                  

I'm glad to hear progress is being made.

I will admit my last ER visit was an entirely different experience.

Guess it takes a long time for morons, but  don't spend money with fools.

Reva

My dentist knows about my HCV. I was relieved and surprised to discover he knows a lot about Hepatitis C.  I had a lot of bone loss and probably bad genes and I needed a lot of work done at one time.

Grrr though I am sorry your other dentist shunned you and tried to make you feel bad about things. Honestly it just shows how little he knows about Hepatitis C and you should consider yourself lucky to be rid of that arsehole.
I think you have an obligation to tell him.  You got him and medical assistants working around blood, or bleeding gums.  Yes, they are supposed to take all precautions but can you really feel okay about giving someone else the chance (however small) to get hcv?  I told my dentist, I didn't want to, and I don't tell anybody because of the stigma, but I felt a moral obligation to.  I hope we'll all be cured and we can tell people that know "I don't have hcv anymore!"  :)
Shame on your former dentist. Just shake the dust of that doctor's office off of your heels, and move on. They are the ones in the wrong, not you.

I've always told my doctors and dentists about my HCV on the medical forms where they ask about your health. So far, they have all been very professional, as they should be. If they are practicing safe procedures using rubber gloves, wearing protective goggles, and cleaning their instruments properly, it shouldn't be a problem.

I can understand your fear, though. It's unfortunate that there appears to be a stigma attached to HCV.

Regarding disclosure, I found this at HCV advocate.org:

"9. DisClosing To Medical Providers
Although you do not have to tell anyone your HCV status, it is a good idea to tell
your medical providers and dentist.  Disclosure gives important information about your
medical condition.  It may explain certain signs or symptoms that you have.  It gives
your medical team the whole picture."

You can read the rest of the document here: http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/Disclosure%20Guide%202011.pdf

i have been very open on telling folks about my hep and am glad of it....and now to be svr its great to be able to talk about hep..i think a lot of the stigma has gone in the past couple years...i know folks that have done very well in the states that are in awful shape from hep right now...seems like most people know someone that has tx...i think its neat that in our small town most knew i had hep and was tx and now to be able to say i beat it is really cool...i did tell them i might not svr and as tough as that might have been i would of...now i ask so many people if they've been tested...trying to help if i can...theres still lots of folks out there that need to be tested....
Thanks for the support and feedback. I am svr so that was where my question came from. If I was still treating or still had hcv then that would have been a yes to tell but being svr I didnt think I had too. Its GONE and I thank you know who every single day!!!!!! Thanks again cyber friends :) In fact time has just flown by. It will be one year in March that I finished treatment. My how time flys :)
Hi if you are SVR there is nothing to tell.  Good luck sweetie :)
No one has that info except my doctors.....NYOB......