Hepatitis Social Community
ultra sound

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

ultra sound

So my dr. has me going for abdominal ultra sounds every six months just as a precaution. I went on Friday morning and it was all as usual. Fasting after midnight the night before so during the ultra sound I told the tech that as soon as we were done I was going to Mcdonalds (which is in the hospital) for coffee. So I'm sitting out side having my coffee and oatmeal and I look up and shes standing there and goes "hi" I looked up like OMG!!! Is something wrong I ask her and she says I need more pictures of your right kidney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Are you kidding me I ask.!!! NO. So I asked if anything was wrong and she says "oh on" just need more picture. OMG! So I went back and she did what she needed to do and I told her I was upset and I knew that even if she had seen something she could not tell me. So I struggled with should I tell my dr. about this............any thoughts. Was she covering her butt or just being cautious. UGH!!! It has been a long w/e now to wait until probably tomorrow or Tuesday to get results :(
"my dr. has me going for abdominal ultra sounds every six months just as a precaution."
I assume this is HCC surveillance?

I wouldn't worry about it. They may have just got some images that weren't clear so they had to do them over again. Images are commonly reviewed after they are taken to make sure they are good enough for viewing. This is common procedure. I am not sure why they let you leave if they weren't reviewed. I've had that happen a number of times with CT scans and MRIs.

Why worry about something that you don't know is even an issue? It is always better to wait to have results before worrying about what in most cases never is what we imagine in our minds. Besides worrying won't change the results one way or another.

Good luck!
Hector
Hey there lady!  I think Hector is right.  It is a bit unusual as they normally take the US then show it to a radiologist while you wait on the table, then come back to tell you you can leave or take any additional pictures the radiologist wants.  Sometimes the radiologist will come in to scan though that is rare too.  Depends on the doctor on duty.

Maybe she did not do the US correctly.  Please try not to worry, hah, easier said than done.

You can always call your doctor and ask him to get the results as you are afraid.
I did send my dr. an email over the w/e. PA responded on Monday and all is well. Just scared the heck out of me when I saw her standing there. Try not to over react but I didn't have a good vibe from her at the get go and that is very unusual. I have the scan's done at a transplant hospital and everyone is very professional. Well wont have to worry about it for another 6 months :) and not sure how much longer after that. Thanks. :)
Hopefully someone had a talk with that technician about that behavior. She really shouldn't have had to come after you, as she shouldn't have let you leave until she was sure she had the images she needed. I've often had them need to redo a picture but I've never had them chase me down for it. I don't blame you for getting a little freaked out, and I hope that is something she never repeats. Glad it turned out to be okay!
Hey lady, so glad to hear!  I just got my US and was told I can now do yearly check ups
Dee
so is US  recommended yearly where biopsy is usually good for 3-4 years?please if wrong on either please let me know.i feel as though my doc has left me in the dark.she has too many pts.in my belief
Hi christinatas,
My husband has an ultrasound every 6 months to screen for liver cancer, because he has Cirrhosis.  He had two liver biopsies prior to being diagnosed with Cirrhosis, but now that we know that he has Cirrhosis (and the cause of it being Hep C), there is no need for further biopsies.  Generally, ultrasounds are used to screen for liver cancer every 6 months or so when a patient has Cirrhosis.
Advocate1955
Hi yes Advocate is right, I have cirrhosis too and need to be check by US and blood work every 6 months..well he did just change it to a year, maybe because everything looked ok last month.

I asked about a biopsy and he looked at me funny...said I did not need one, he feels that from now on my liver will improve without the HCV bombarding my liver
mike716 SVR May, 2015 (Sovaldi+Olys... Comment
54 mins ago
Dee1956 commented on 10356's status
Dee1956 commented on THIS NEW FORUM STINKS...
Jul 22
Track your weight over time