voice recognition software for computer and cell phone
as some of you may know, I've had tendinitis in both arms over the past year. It would be unfair to blame treatment for what appears to be a very slow healing process, but it certainly has crossed my mind that the interferon exposure may be playing a role both with tendinitis in some other muscular issues. But I digress LOL or point of the thread was to briefly give my experience with voice recognition software. Something very useful for me right now and something that others might consider if in a similar situation.

On the computer, I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking professional edition. I think it's Professional Edition but the enhanced edition maybe. In fact, I'm using it right now and today it seems to be listening okay. I've only gone back to make one or two corrections so far. That said,sometimes it just doesn't want to listen, sort of like my ex-girlfriend LOL or maybe that's what she said about me. I forget.

From a Blackberry, I use something called "Vlingo". You can use it both for e-mail and text messaging. It's server-based, meaning what you dictate actually goes through their server computer to translate into text which then instantly appears on the phone. A very cool concept, and works pretty well at least a lot of the time. But again, sometimes it doesn't want to listen. vlingo is also available for the iPhone but currently it does not allow text or e-mail but can do with searches and some other stuff.

Well I found both pieces of software quite valuable, actually invaluable at times, as a writer by profession I also find them very frustrating because editing is really a PITA and editing is really what makes good writing well good writing. So I apologize here are some of the disjointed thoughts and  typos lately. so, if you need to rest your arms, and don't mind sounding a bit a literate, your voice recognition software a try LOL
in the last sentence I meant "illiterate" not literate. I think maybe the software was offendedLO
In fact, I noticed a couple of times in other posts that the software deliberately said the opposite of what you intended because it took personal offense.

Smart cookie and worth checking out.

Dragon Naturally Speaking seems to be the preferred voice rec software of the writers I know, some of whom have written multiple books using it. It does seem to take a bit of getting used to--on both sides.

I believe it's PC specific, though. I suppose it could be used on a Mac that has Windows installed.
that's interesting that someone would actually use it for writing something as complete as the book. I suppose the accuracy could be improved by using a very fast and dedicated computer, along with a top notch microphone, and of course practice. But even so, at least with me, that dictated word comes out so very different from the written word. more rambling and disjointed, etc.  Maybe that's because I am so used to writing, let's say typing, my thoughts over the years. Maybe it's just what one is used to
I think that when one doesn't have a choice, it's easier to adapt. ;)
I thought you started drinking !     just kidding , jim     sounds like a nice system , I hope you work out the kinks .
LOL (hic)
Yup, I really thought either you or she had gone off the rails a couple of times, what with the 'asymptomatic' instead of the 'a symptomatic'.

She's a gem, though, even if a bit klutzy. I'd say stick it out with her.

I second Winner about the drinking! There was some slurry stuff in there. It was fun for me but then I know how well you write when she's not around.
How'd ya get the tendonitis? Back at the creme d'nuit, are we?
It's amazing that you've worked out both technologies and I'm sure it's caused you many frustrations along the way.    But thanks so much for the update, as I'm fighting tendonitis in both arms (strange it's not in my legs of rest of my body).

However, I have been speed-typing for many years.  I'm at the point of thinking I may need to give up my job if I don't manage to keep on top of it and your experiences have given me some positive spins on what else I could do.   We sell Blackberries where I work and I never knew that had that type of software available (they're not my specialty but I was thinking of getting one).

It's been interesting watching your posts;  sometimes word perfect;  other times with ps editorial posts lol!!!   I remember when you got the software so it's been great to watch your progress.

I hope your sx's lessen but big congrats to you for searching, finding, and almost taming an alternative.
I READ a book once! Oh, wait, that was on tape. Nevermind!

Hope the tendonitis gets better real fastly!
Wow Jim, that's really cool!

I wish I had a voice recognition thing which could get my legs up the stairs. lol... I really screwed up those muscles riding my bicycle and it takes ages getting better...

ok, enough with of that... I really hope that you get better really fast. It's been too long that you have been suffering from the tendonitis.

Best wishes to you, Marcia
you doing your streching? angles right between arms and computer?
Have you tried paraffin for your tendonitis? My son gave me a Dr. Scholl's paraffin bath thingee for Christmas and it says its good for that.
Kathy