Hepatitis Social Community
what to do for dry mouth while sleeping

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

what to do for dry mouth while sleeping

I am drinking water, gatorade, probably 6 litres or more. When I go to sleep at night my mouth gets really dry(yes I am a mouth breather). my mouth gets super dry, and the tissue in mouth and lips get so dry and sticky, I have chewed off outer layer especallially below lips. My mouth is sore and hurting when I eat, also sticks it is so dry.

What do ya'll do for this probably. I am thirsty because my mouth is dry, peeing off and on because I am needing to drink water to relieve the dry mouth.
I have the same problem. Aside from keeping water at my bedside, I'm going to pick up one of those inexpensive little vaporizors, and run it during the night. I'm getting sores inside my nose as well, I'm sure for that same reaso. Hopefully the vporizor will help.
            S
Biotene oral balance gel is excellent!!!

Marcia
I found an OTC product called Oasis, a mouth spray that takes care of that cotton mouth problem.  I kept it by the bed and used it once or twice a night, just a couple of sprays every few hours.  It tastes a bit like mint mouthwash and contains glycerine so it lasts for a while. Works really well.
I just keep water near me, I get mouth sores also,   hate when one is on the tip of your tongue and you are trying to ear.

I think I will try the oasis,  
Oasis and biotine
oasis and biotine? what the heck is biotine?   eat, not ear, unless you eat with your ears!
If I drink all night, I pee all night I don't sleep. I will definitely try the oasis and biotine, whatever it is.
I have a sore place on the edge of my tongue and tip. My mouth seems to be very sensitive to the heat.
I just posted this in headshop's journal...During treatment I used Oragel's Dry mouth moisturizing gel"...it worked great! It coats everything inside your mouth and you don't wake up with "leather tongue"...It lasts several hours and keeps the sores to a minimum...Because the bacterial flora in your mouth gets a bit "wonky" while treating, remember you are at risk for an oral fungal infection (thrush)...For prevention, eat a bit of yogurt every other day or so...This will also help keep lower gut troubles at bay...Good luck everyone...I'm 8 weeks post treatment now, and I feel really great! No brain fog, no fatigue, no muscle pain...No hep c...Just remember, these sides are all temporary...Hang in there...(((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGZ)))))))))))))))))))))))))                                    ~Melinda
I used both the Biotene toothepaste and mouthwash (still do) while tx'ing and it did help to some extent.  I got the dry nose/sores and that lasted about 6 mos.  Definitely try the humidifier in your room at night.  Everything dries out, hair, eyes, skin, nose, mouth.  I am almost 6 mos post tx now and my hair is strong, healthy and get oily again.  My eyes don't hurt anymore either.  I used nasal moisture spray and liquid tears all of the time when I tx'ed as well.  I also used leave in conditioners and more expensive shampoos.

Wish I had known about the Orajel Dry mouth jel.

TV
I was picking up my usual refill on phenegran and got some oasis spray, which will be sitting beside my bed tonight.
Are you drinking tap water?....and the gatoraide  is not a healthy thing to be drinking...
The gel is called

Oral Balance by Biotene.

They also make a mouth wash and a chewing gum. I use all three. They keep the balance of enzymes in your mouth and also help prevent mouth sores
My dog comes up to the bed and licks me on the face from time to time during the night.  Makes me shut my mouth real quick! ;)  j/k - the dry mouth and mouth ulcers are hard to take I know.  
Prescription and other products helped me.

I had very bad dry eyes, nose, mouth during TX (allergy and antidepressant meds worsened it). My nose bled, eyes burned, mouth full of sores and chewed/sore places. Kept water, chapstick and artificial tears by the bed and used them several times during the night.

I also used everything Biotene makes, plus Ayre saline nasal spray and gel, several types of OraJel medicine for mouth ulcers, Restatis and Patanol prescription eye drops. My shrink finally prescribed a dry mouth spray called AQUAORAL. It worked better for me than any of the TOC products.

The problems eased after TX, but not completely because of other drying meds, so I continue to use most of these products. I have good medicine insurance coverage!

Best wishes  and hang in there.

PS -- be careful -- brain fog alert.  I was riding in the car with a friend during TX and fished in my purse for a tube of Biotene mouth gel.  I opened it, applied a strip to my tongue and quickly realized I had put saline nasal gel in my mouth instead. Yuck.

PSS -- I had to have an oral surgeon remove a small nodule of tissue  from inside my bottom lip after TX.  I had chewed it until it so large that I sometimes bit it when chewing food!
Hi All
My Father had this problem, he tried many things, lately he made it go away by eating carrot and vegetables during the day. He eats about two raw carrots  and some raw vegetables with his lunch. He says after trying them, the dry mouth problem didn't happen again.
You can try this out too.
Wonder what happened to ole headshop?  He had the weirdest treatment I think I have ever read about.  Hope he's SVR
Yea weird thats the word! are you sure it was the treatment that was weird if there now was any treatment at all???

BTW drinking six litres of water every day is way to much, not healthy at all another weird statement among myriads of others.

Wasn´t it him who come in here as a rancher and then suddenly had turned in to a engineer!!!???
Only on the internet!  If nothing else it was entertaining like the little engine that could.

Trin
Oh, our romantic friend. I'm such a sucker fro romance....

I hope you are doing well headshop! if you read this, drop us a note and tell us how you are!
Recognize dry mouth problem. Also bad for gums, hence bad for teeth.
SOLUTION
Elastic jaw-kstrap.
Easy and inexpensive but oh so effective.
Take wide-band jockstrap, dismantle it carefully.
Adjust length of waistband so it fits around lower jaw and top of head.
Use remaining narrow elastic for circle around head just above eyebrow level.
Save pouch part for who-knows-what-future-creation.
Take non-stretch bias tape for crossband between mid forehead over top to back of construction.
The secondary bands are to keep wide elastic band in place.
Use safety pins for first construction until you've found the right tension and general fit.
Since using this invention I've had no more dry-mouth wake-up calls at night.
***@****
“Since using this invention I've had no more dry-mouth wake-up calls at night.”

Hahaha, yeah, but you might develop a reputation for being a d!ckhead :o)!
I think bill wants to be a distributor! How can I order one so I can be a d!ckhead too!
A pic would be awesome!
lol I read the weird comment, I am as is my treatment.
I pray all are SVR or on their way.
I was finished with tx and no viral load response untill a few months later my Viral was back 6 ten times worse, but liver functions normal.
I am supposed to hear from Duke Hospital about other tx through my GI, yet haven't heard anything yet.
  I can't do anything yet until my mom heals enough from bladder infection problems to where she'll be able to decide to continue with chemo for a rare cancer named Euracal cancer very rare bladder cancer. which Dr says would take her in a year without tx.
I am recovering from broken finger surgery, and am getting a mylegram Monday to check out the severity of my DDD and Spinal Stenosis.
That the neurosurgeon wants to do surgery on.
God Bless you all.
This journey is one hell of a ride!

I also figured out if I shut my mouth and breathe thru my nose my dry mouth is not near as bad.
My invention, described above, would make most anyone laugh who saw you wearing it. But only my wife has seen it and we laughed together.
I'd tried other "building materials" before, but found the wide-band elastic worked to perfection. The old jockstrap which supplied this had been lying about un-used for ages.
A picture would indeed be effective, but anyone with a little imagination can fill in the picture in his own mind. I don't wear it in public, just when I go to sleep.
Anyone not sure whether he wants to dismantle his jockstrap can use a safety-pin to adjust the tension and try it out before destroying the article of clothing. Then the side-straps and pouch must of course be on the back side of the head. Problem is, it is likely to slip off in the course of the night. That's why the crossed bands over the top of the head are more effective.

Anyway, don't knock it if you  haven't tried it!
The un-tried knocker never knows what (joy) he's missing.
interesting soloution i had the same problem and also came up with a solution,
i would sleep with a frog in my mouth as they are moist they stopped my mouth from drying in the night, the frog needs to be not too small as to risk swallowing but also not too large as to cause suffocation
HA HA !!!!!!!!
I am off to purchase a jockstrap and to test a few different frog sizes. I'll let you know what works better. the frog makes a lot of sense to me. - Dave
Dave LOL can you imagine? I mean really?
visualize it ....LOL, and now we have a frog to add to
the mix....LOL

(and remember , don't knock it till you've tried it) ?
Ummm thanks, but no thanks LOL
Your right Elaine, may the frog and strap will work best if used together. I would guess the frog won't be able to escape as easily then!
LOL!
HA !!!! HA !!
i think combining the two inventions is absolutly genius , you are right Dave escaping frogs were a problem that previously i had to control with flies to keep the frog busy and therefore less likely to escape , with the strap i wont need the flies , which was a bit wierd i must say
I agree, the fly thing is a bit weird!
Hmm… I think the guy over here that was sniffing his sister’s friend’s panties might have only had a dry mouth, and got the thong confused with a jockstrap:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/dry-blood/show/1312964

He was most likely trying to strap frogs in his mouth but didn’t have a jockstrap, so he was just being innovative.

Any thoughts on this?

--Bill
LOLOL-
Very innovative, and he even came up with a good story so he didn't appear silly with the contraption on his head. The problem as I see it is that most thongs are too small to keep the frog from escaping. I suppose if the frog was small enough it might work, but the we might be back to Jusjames issue with swallowing the frog.
I think personally I'll stick with the jockstrap and frog, kudos to this dude for trying though!
- Dave
Dave—the gals are steering way clear of this thread; I wonder why?

What say, gals?

Your perspectives are needed too, you know?!
Elaine enjoyed it, I guess she has more empathy for sufferers of DMS (dry mouth syndrome)

I put my order in with Wolfbayne, just finished the complicated head measurements. he said that he still has some old jockstraps lying around and that the new ones don't work as well. Something about the quality of the elastic in the netherlands in the old days.  

I couldn't find a frog anywhere though, there aren't many ponds around here!
We need Wolfie to do an infomercial!

"The Strap" a real answer for a real problem for those suffering from DMS!

Now we just need a logo, a frog behind a strap with some bars holding him in, perhaps the frog could be wearing some prison stripes.
Looks like more of you are into the humor of the "jaw-kstrap" idea than really suffering from dry mouth syndrome. I didn't send in the description of my invention as a joke, though I don't begrudge anyone a laugh about it. Just thought I'd share a good solution with fellow sufferers.
Thing is, it does really work. I'd tried similar constructions with narrower elastic from shops, but elastic was too flimsy. For someone without the industrial production connections of the garment industry, where else do you find wide-band elastic with a natural, soft, non-slip texture?
Really and truly, before I made the gadget: 10 x per night I'd wake up with cracking dry mouth, almost afraid to move it for fear of breaking the skin.
Since I made it, I only waked up once with dry mouth. That was the second night and the elastic had slipped loose, so jaw could fall open. That's when I came up with the extra cross-strap across the head.
One could, of course, attach the broad elastic to any cap or bonnet and stretch it around the lower jaw to the desired tension. At least, if the cap fits well on the head and doesn't cut off the circulation. What I've made is only a 3rd generation prototype I'm describing. If I were business oriented I'd have it patented and make millions. But I'll leave that to somebody else to do.
The invention is good. If you really have the problem, stop making jokes and start taking action, not for me, for you yourself and yours. For "yours" because I strongly suspect that you'll snore a lot less too.
My wife claims I snore (I've never heard myself snore...only her snoring.;-). But since she escaped to one of the kids room after they'd moved out, there's nobody to test my now snoreless sleeping. Would be interested to hear from anyone who tries it out and whose partner can tesify to snore-preventive aspects of gadget.
Sounds like a lot of people would rather pay the doctor and the pharmacist for chemical solutions to simple problems. Hey, if you're into chemistry, who am I to knock it?
funny stuff, i do believe your invention works and i see the logic
"Looks like more of you are into the humor of the "jaw-kstrap" idea than really suffering from dry mouth syndrome"

I agree Wolfie! Don't you think the frog idea really took it to another level. I mean you could use a banana slug, but really, who wants a banana slug in their mouth. Still a pic of you would really help people to understand how it works, people are very visual!

Bill - DMS is a serious issue, and this is a real solution. People are suffering as we speak!

Does this invention make you look like Pinnochio, that would be my concern?
The nice feature about the frog in the mouth is that it discourages thoughts that might lead to the Pinocchio syndrome, Deb; good thought though, and a key point that the marketing department needs to be aware of—

Bill
When I first connected into this site, via Google and "dry mouth" +sleeping, I didn't realize it was a site for sufferers of hepatitis. I have the good fortune to have avoided that problem in life, a little luck and shots in time that saved nine.
Don't know what the hepatitis and corresponding meds may do to mouth glands. They may cause dry mouth without the opened-mouth thing. Then my invention will offer no solace. It's only guaranteed if the cause of the problem is that the jaw opens while sleeping (on ones back).
If hepatitis plays a role in the problem, there may be nothing for it but dry humor. In that case: there's a kind of little fish used in spas for psoriasis patients. The fish nibble away peeling skin and leave the healthy skin unscathed. Now if one were to take a mouthful of such fishies with the water one drinks at night, they might well solve that problem too. Who knows?
Hi Wolfbane,

Thank you for sharing your invention with us; it is innovative, and actually sounds like a pretty good idea.

This forum you stumbled on is indeed about hepatitis; Hep C, more precisely. While Hep C (HCV) doesn’t usually cause dry mouth directly, it can become an issue from the treatment drug ‘interferon’ that is used to manage it. This treatment can sometimes cause side effects similar to cancer chemo, with lowered blood counts, nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, etc.

The actual HCV forum is here:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Hepatitis-C/show/75

The site here that you commented in is the ‘Hep C social’ forum, designed for us to play around in, and make jokes; sometimes when people have a potentially life threatening disease, it helps to laugh and joke a bit.

Again, than you for sharing your thoughts; I want you to understand in part we joke and laugh in here, though.

Best regards to the Netherlands,

--Bill
Even if our jokes aren't always funny......it's a place for us to get over the seriousness of cirrhosis and liver cancer and things like that. Thank you for understanding and playing back, I'm not on the meds any longer but still sleep on my back and I have a bad feeling I snore like a train...........your invention might come in handy if I ever get another spouse (well, they might leave me shortly after I pull the Pinocchio hat out but......)   :)
this was funny
Biotene spray I carry my little bottle with me everywhere! There is a patch called Ora Mist or something like that. It works as long as you are hydrated!
Yes biotene. I use the dry mouth wash. No experience with the spray. It help a bunch.
get one of those humidifiers that are used when you have a cold and such. It puts water vapor into the air while you sleep. I think one of the problems is you probably breath through your mouth while sleeping and it drys you our. I was told that one of the reasons for getting up to pee all night is that due to the fact that while under treatment we are all anemic. Being anemic is somewhat like sleep apnea and your body jerks awake because there is not enough oxygen. When you awaken suddenly like that it is a natural reaction to want to empty your bladder. I been using the humidifier and taking a melatonin tablet to help me sleep. It seems to help.
I agree with Biotene they make a gell for the night, gum, mouth rinse as well as toth paste
I also started with a night guard and that helps me sleep with my mouth closed.  I know it is the tx and since I finished Incivek it is much improved, just trying to help others
Dee
I can't understand the comedy in dry mouth at night.These comedians probably never having to pry off their lips from their teeth,Very painful.The part of the lip attached to the teeth is still there.Takes forever to heal.No sympathy from my hep c doctor.Had to see my primary for amoxicillan.It cleared up in 6 days.But the outbreak happens every 12 weeks or so.Tried rubbing candle wax to prevent bonding of lips to teeth.I even thought of either taping my mouth shut of making a strap to keep my mouth shut at night.Last night I got the idea of a clear plastic tube with a center hole to direct air past my lips and teeth.Other holes else where to let air in.This tube would then be tied around my head at night.Simple but prehistoric.The comedians would laugh at that one.If using the strap,what happens if your sinuses become blocked.I have a deviated septum and use a warm air humidifier.I just placed my bid for one on Ebay and then I found one on Amazon.com.Tell the comedians these locations sells jockstraps also.
I received the chin strap yesterday.I used it last night.So far it worked.I got up at 2 am to urinate and my mouth was wet.A first in a long time.I checked out on line other straps and they looked like contraptions and uncomfortable.This was comfortable because of the design.Thank you for the info.I need to get use to it now.I need to give it more time before I give it a seal of approval.I will post a comment in a few days to let others know of where to purchase this one.Again thank you.
I am so happy I stumbled onto this side of the forum! I have not laughed so much in a while! It's a good feeling. I'll have to mark this and re-read when feeling down.
Now, if I can just figure out where to get a jockstrap. I detest this dry mouth thing and I am notoriously an open mouth breather and sleeper. I've already begun waking to the feeling of my tongue stuck to the side of my mouth. I'd already thought of a humidifier. Do they help?
I have been using the cpap chin strap for about 2 weeks now.Been sleeping better without dry mouth.http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Leonards-CS004-Chin-Strap/dp/B003U76CCU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327251130&sr=8-2.Now I have to control the drool.
Thank you all for the helpful comments.  I have so much to go get tomorrow.  Woke up with mouth so dry I could hardly breath and my tung felt like sand.  
I suffer Dry Mouth, but only when asleep. When awake saliva is produced again.
I have seen many doctors and have paid a lot of money in test and examinations. I tried everything. I can tell all of you my experience:
1. I sealed my mouth with 3M bands for months. Conclusion: it was not caused by open mouth or snooring, the problem persisted.
2. I was examined for Sjorgen Syndrome... it is not Sjorgen and I have not dry eyes and in sjorgen dryness is all day.
3. Wine, Beer, Whisky, fatty foods, to much sweet, all that aggravate my case.
4. By having healthy foods and drinking a lot of water and no soda or sweetened juices helps a lot to reduce the dryness durin sleeping.
5. I also invented and tried a kind of pasifier...it helped and more when use together with a gel product or one of mentioned products in thie blog

Nowdays I keep drinking a little bit of water when awaking, very little just to dissolve dry saliva a spread it all around my mouth.

That is just my Case.

That is just my Case.
there is a little bit of creeping going on there me thinks!
the guy was sharing a genuine solution to help other sufferers and people just took the mick!
if it works, does it realllllllllly matter what you look like?
6 months ago I had to start to use the CPAP machine for snoring. Ahh, my husband snores me out of the bedroom, but the doctors said I have a problem. I never woke myself up I swear my husband has to be worse than me he sounds like the Cookie Monster trying grumble out for the last cookie. He has also woke himself up. I don't do that.
But, this last month and a half. I started to take a Wellbutrim (depression) because I'm not sleeping enough and it is driving me nuts, I also had a metallic taste in all i drank or ate. I decided it had to be one of two meds. Gabapentin and Wellbutrim.  I took myself off the Wellbutrim. and very slowly noticed the metallic taste was leaving so then I took my self off of the Gabapentin and the taste was gone..So I put myself back on Gabapentin and no problems with the metallic taste. I also used the cpap and noticed a dry mouth cotton ball feeling in the back of my throat where my post nasal drips and that is where that cotton ball feeling is.
I went to the nose doctor and she said I had suffered from allergies for a very long time. The accident I was in two years ago people said I fell asleep , but in my heart and mind I know what I last saw and I remembered hacking coughing and having a hard time trying to get my breath. The semi    truck driver said my eyes were open and looking up at him my head being at the headrest when I started to go under his back tires, Thank You God, I was spit out in doing so i jerked so hard that my doctors nurse said she felt I had passed out and dislodge the crud in my throat. Now my nose doctors more or less said the same thing. But the cpap doesn't work i fight all night long with the harness I need to wear and I feel like I can't breathe with the mask on my face. I keep going in circles here. But the dry mouth feeling I believe is caused by the cpap. I quit using it so I could get some sleep.
But the problem I have is I use biotene during the day if I need it and it works it is the mouth wash. I also use it when brushing the teeth.
But this dry mouth has caused havoc with my taste buds and that cotton ball feeling, well yes I have to clear throat more often. and I drink like a fish. I hate to admit what a pig I feel like I drank over a gallon of milk because it felt so good swallowing it, I have drank pop like it is going out of style because the fizz seems to help loosen what is in my throat. I drink almost a gallon of ice water all day because it to goes down but the taste of everything is off. May be my problem is more mind over matter. But, at this point I am getting scared. I pee so much and when I do it is more than I drink. I'm sure my legs have hollowed out and fill up with what I am drinking
I never felt this bad before. I'm seeking for help in anyway I can get. I just want my life to go back to normal, what ever that is. I am also borderline diabetic not taking meds.
I also used biotine mouth wash even if I woke up in the night to use the bathroom this worked good for me. Hope it helps
Mike
Old thread :)

Coconut water works great for quick rehydration.