Hepatitis Social Community
where can I not inject interferon

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

where can I not inject interferon

I got an infected injection site and i mean it was a hospital job ...anyway the nurses thwere inected my interferon in my arms which are fat-ish , then my nurse said NO arms but legs , it was but tummy that got infected ...I just did my said in the mirror and I think I wated it cuz it hurts and bled a bit ...anyway where do you inject ?
  "where can I not inject interferon" That one is just to easy and my post would just get deleted anyway.
I was told, even though most people prefer the stomach area, any area that has loose skin/fat will do fine.
Not in your eyeball.

(Ricky, I bet you can come up with something better....goin' head to head for that Best Answer thing.  Pun intended.)

a nurse pal who had hcv showed me a spot on hip/butt about 4 in from hip bone towards the back and it was great. i have no fat in legs and stomach seems so tender... so u might try this. tea tree oil is a good antisceptic and stays put ( does not dry like alcohol). best luck, babs
All right Ms. Trish you’re on, hemorrhoids. Always try to avoid injecting interferon in a hemorrhoid. If you do please record it and put it on youtube. You may need some help. Contact Trish she is a caring/giving person that would be more than willing to assist you.
You disappoint me, Ricky.  Hemorrhoids?  That's the best you can do?  I give you a lead-in with a post that contains the words "ball" and "head" and you come up with ..."hemorrhoids"??    

Alright, fine.  Don't inject in your rhymes-with-Ricky, without the y and starts with D.  

Beat that, Crawdaddy.
I hope you're wiping the area with an alcohol swab or some kind of antiseptic before the injection and if the hospital is doing it, make sure they do and sterile needles of course.  One infection in that spot in your tummy shouldn't mean the whole tummy is out of scope, can't see why it would be.   Thighs will work too.
  I don't understand why the nurse said you couldn’t inject in the fatty part of your arm. Maybe she knows something I don't. I always thought it didn't matter where you do the injection as long as it was in a fatty part of the skin.

Trish, I skipped over that one because it was too easy. I was being creative because I really want to beat you this time.
my legs are more muscley than my arms I don't understand ...I did my hip and it hurt , My hep nurse say's go straight in and the leaflet say's 45 degrees so I'm getting mixed messages ...is there a proper explanation on the whole proceedure somehwere ?
My nurse told me to go straight in too... then I watched the DVD they gave me, and it said 45 degrees too. I tried both and find that I prefer the 45 degrees.

I prefer the stomach area myself. Make sure you clean it well beforehand... and don't forget to wash your hands. Avoid where you waistband hits your stomach too... that could be a cause for troubles too.

Diane
Peg is sub-q, not IM.
I did every one of my shots on the back of my arms.  Actually my husband did every shot.  I just switched sides every week.
V
I think it depends on your needle tips.  My needles were not bevelled, they were just short pointy tips and I had no problem going straight in.  My interferon was not pre-loaded, it came in vials.  With procrit, it came in pre-loaded syringes that were bevelled.  I couldn't inject the procrit straight in and it was easier to go with the bevel on the needle at an angle.  I doubt it matters on the effectiveness which way you use, just use what works best for you.
You're right...too easy though I figured working your name in there might get me some points.  Just the same, can't beat you for creativity on the Hemmorhoids and particularly offering me up as a volunteer.  I concede, Ricky.  And if you don't get Best Answer officially, I'd say you have it unofficially.
Lots of places you can inject the peg.  F'rexample, I did the bathroom at a pee-wee golf course once. And also a skanky-a$$ gas station restroom. I highly recommend the first but suggest you avoid the latter.
I did it in a car several times in a remote parking lot, sometimes at a nice beach or in the woods!
(oops, we were talking about injecting interferon weren't we)
Make sure you are using the alcohol swabs and get tiny little diabetes needles (I can't remember the number) I hardly even noticed them going in at all. I would just close my eyes and jab pretty much into the fleshy part pinched between my fingers - no real science was needed. I just switched legs every other week and it was fine.

It shouldn't really be hurting you this bad it's not a big thing!

(I always did the shot at home,  guess I am a pee-wee golf shooting virgin but that sounds like much more fun to me :)
If you use your legs, use the tops not the sides. Sciatic nerve - ouch.
Just be sure to take your tissues with ya dude. I know this is going to creep me out the next time I rent a car.
you can take in the bum too
Again, just remember the tissues.