Hepatitis Expert Forum
12 weeks

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

12 weeks

Is it true if a person is tested at 12 weeks after tx and still test positive for the virus hep c, that they should stop treatment because if you don't clear by week 12 than it not likely you will ever clear?  My Dr said at the beginning of my tx that if I didn't clear by week 12 he would stop treating me. He doesn't believe that a person can clear the virus if they haven't by week 12. I would like some feedback on this. I am at week 6 and I still test positive for it and he finds this discouraging. I'm also anemic. Thanks
That seems to be the standard approach... if there is no response by week 12 then tx is halted. I showed no response by week 4...waiting for week 8 pcr, but not very optimistic...have to treat to week 12 anyhow to be able to go into the Telaprevir trial for non-responders. This is not easy, but hang in there.

chiara

I have to disagree with Chiara. If the patient gets a 2Log drop in viral load by week twelve, they still have a chance at SVR. For these patients, and extended treatment period can significantly improve the chances of SVR. I hope Dr. D will clarify this.

Brent
By no response I meant not getting the 2 log drop by week 12.

Chiara
yes, that is standard.

the figure I heard was that if you do not have a   2 log drop by week 12, then you have less that a 3% chance of svr.   Not really worth the risk, pain, expense, etc.

bandman
I have another problem. I.m very anemic. I have a Dr apt to deal with this. I feel the worst I have since starting the tx.(8wks) I ache all over and have NO energy at all. I had to have help to write this. I can.t think, it's the worst I've felt in my life. When I didn't feel that bad the first few weeks I though I can really do this. My question is after the dr. tx me for the anemia will I feel like I did before this hit me like a ton of bricks? Is it the anemia or is it the tx in general and will I continue to feel this way trough the rest of tx? I feel like such a nothing. I feel totally worthless and helpless to do anything about it. This disease is in total control of me. I had my AD meds increased I hope they start working soo.
Sorry! I thought you meant UND. After rereading I see clearly now. You are exactly right.