Hepatitis Expert Forum
Blood and Organ Donation

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Blood and Organ Donation

If you have had hepatitis C but were treated successfully with Intron A and have had no elevavated liver enzymes for many years and have had negative viral load tests (HCV RNA, real time PCR) for many years and your only positive test is for the hepatitis C antibody, can you donate blood or organs?
You cannot donate blood, but you can donate organs. Seems silly but that is the way it is done. Many people are offered HCV + livers if they have HCV already and there is no real issue with it.
Donate your organs! We should all be doing that and with the Holiday weekend coming up all of us who can should donate blood! DTD
I know people that got HCV but the virus never became active. They only knew because they went to give blood and it was caught then. It was only the antibodies, but they were told that they could never give blood. My husband who just lives with me and doesn't even have HCV antibodies, can no longer give blood. Go figure that one. The form to give blood ask, "Do you live with someone with HCV?" and you check yes, they don't want your blood.