Hepatitis Expert Forum
Can't sleep at night due to itching

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Can't sleep at night due to itching

I have two questions regarding hep c. I was recently diagnosed with the disease and am wondering about the itchiness that is associated with hep c. Could you please explain to me what I can expect from that sympton.  On the bottom of my foot I have an itch that I can not seem to aleviate, I have only been diagnosed with the disease I have not had any further testing to see at what stage i am in.  The reason for the test at all was I went in to get vacinated against Hep A & B. I am wondering if this vaccination will affect or increase the severity of my disease.  Please let me know especially about the itching so I can sleep at night.  thank you

Dear Gwen:
You ask some excellent questions and I appreciate the opportunity to answer them.  Let me answer your second question first and your first question last.
The vaccinations for hepatitis A and B will not make your liver disease worse.  In fact, they will help you in that they should prevent you from getting either hepatitis A or B.  Individuals who have hepatitis C often do especially poorly if they then obtain either hepatitis A or B on top of the hepatitis C.  These vaccinations should prevent this from happening.  We are fortunate to have these generally effective and generally safe vaccines.  
I find your itching interesting but I am not sure what to make of it.  Patients with liver disease can develop itching as a side effect but often the disease is moderately advanced.  Sometimes our patients with hepatitis C complain of itching but we aren