Hepatitis Expert Forum
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Hepatitis

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Hepatitis

Has any research been done to find a connection between Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
  I've noticed that the same symptoms that I've been experiencing with CFS are concurrent with my fiance's, who has Hep C....
  I've had a test for Hep C, which showed antibodies and no virus....and I was sick about 6 years ago--before I was involved with my fiance.....
  That's why I'm wondering.....did I kick it, am I breeding it and it's undetected, or is it anyone's guess?
  The thing that makes me soooo curious, are the liver symptoms that I had with CFS...the funny nausea, achy joints--still have, sore throat--sometimes still get, brain fog--never went away, things like that... any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much!!

_
Dear Carol D:
I appreciate your question about a relationship between hepatitis C and chronic fatigue syndrome.  I think it is an excellent question.
I did a formal computerized literature search and could not find a single paper that attempted to find a link between chronic fatigue syndrome and hepatitis C.  In my opinion, it would be worthwhile for some one to look at this because many patients with hepatitis C do experience fatigue.
Part of the problem, I am told, is that chronic fatigue syndrome is not a well-defined entity and that makes it difficult to do rigorous studies.  That may have changed.  It is possible that the entity is better defined now and that I am just unaware of these advances.  I do completely agree that many patients with hepatitis C do have significant fatigue.  It is possible that some patients with chronic fatigue may have hepatitis C especially if they have risk factors for hepatitis C.  Unfortunately, fatigue is an extremely common symptom and it is one that is common in the population at large.  All though I am entirely convinced that many of my patients with hepatitis C suffer marked fatigue, it has always been difficult to show that patients with hepatitis C experience fatigue that is greater than in the general population.  I do not know of any specific studies that have looked at how many patients with chronic fatigue are infected with hepatitis C.
I hope this information is helpful to you.. If you have additional information or questions, please get back to us again. You can always contact us directly at Henry Ford (313) 916-8865. We have an active group of liver specialists and we have a strong interest in and experience with hepatitis C.
This response is being provided for general informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or consultation.  Always check with your personal physician when you have a question pertaining to your health.