Hepatitis Expert Forum
Elevated Liver Enzymes

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Elevated Liver Enzymes

Posted by Kevin on July 11, 1999 at 06:09:18
I just received my life insurance quote back and they raised my premiums. They stated that I had elevated liver enzymes. I was just wondering what that meant and how do you bring that back to normal. How serious is this situation and should I see my doctor for it? I do drink alcohol often, maybe once a week, and some of those times excessively. I also take Tylenol for hangovers sometimes. Is there risk of permanent damage? If caused by the Tylenol, would taking Ibuprofen or aspirin make any difference? How long after stopping drinking would be necessary to return the liver to normal? Is there any other way to help bring down the enzyme level, such as diet or drugs?

Posted by Denise on July 13, 1999 at 11:38:55
I have the same problem as Kevin with elevated liver enzymes only I do
not drink alcohol and I have had my gallbladder removed.  The doctor
is not testing me for Hepatitis A,B, and C, why would enzymes be elevated
also I very seldom take tylenol?  Is there any symptoms that I would
have?

Posted by Denise on July 13, 1999 at 11:40:29
typing error above,  the doctor is testing me for HEP A,B, and C.

Posted by HFHSM.D.-D.M. on July 18, 1999 at 14:41:36
Dear Denise:
Elevations in liver enzymes are a common problem and I appreciate the opportunity to comment on this subject.  Sometimes the evaluation can be complicated and require patience.  Other times it can be straightforward.
What we typically do is to look for common causes of liver enzyme abnormalities or causes that require quick action.  We then to look for less common causes.  We also focus on which liver enzymes are elevated and what the specific pattern is in that specific liver enzymes point more to specific diagnoses.
The most common causes of liver enzyme abnormalities in this country are the use of alcohol, viral hepatitis (hepatitis A or B or C), medications, fatty infiltration of the liver (