Hepatitis Expert Forum
HCV Expert PLEASE

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

HCV Expert PLEASE

Hello doctor i recently ended a relationship with a female that after the fact I found out was very promiscuous.  One morning when we were together I accidentally used her toothbrush thinking it was mine.  We also had unprotected vaginal sex a lot.  I have been screened for all stds and HIV a few times.  I also had been tested for HCV with an antibody test sent to a lab.  It was about 9 to 9.5 weeks since toothbrush incident and almost 7.5 weeks since our last sexual encounter.  Which was negative.   My questions to you are
1-is this a reliable timeframe for testing?
2-how long until you would consider it conclusive with today's testing?
3-would HCV and HIV interfere with each others antibody testing?

Thanks doctor I look forward to your reply.
Also doctor could you please tell me when most people show positive with antibody testing.  Thank you.
Dear Dmad8888,

I understand your concern.

Although Hepatitis C virus (HCV) is very contagious, it is not transmitted sexually and is also not transmitted by sharing toothbrushes. However, the HCV and HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) status of your partner needs to be known in order to predict the prognosis better.

1. The timeframe that you have mentioned for testing is quite reliable. However, in some people, the test may take about 6 months to become positive. So if you want to be doubly sure, you can get yourself retested after about 10 weeks from now.

2. In relation to your encounter with the person you mentioned, I think your testing results will hold good as of now.

3. HCV and HIV do not interfere with each other's antibody testing.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Radhakrishna Patta
Reason I ask I have been having an abdominal pain on my right side that comes and goes and kinda feels like a cramp.  This sound like a symptom?  Also at what timeframe do most people show +?  Thanks doctor
Also doctor the pain seems to come on and get worse with exercise....what are your thoughts?
Dear Dmad8888,

Thanks for reverting.

The crampy abdominal pain that you are mentioned may not be related to Hepatitis C infection, if there is any. This symptom would require further evaluation, if it persists. Given the fact that it gets worsened with exertion, it is more suggestive of a musculosketal pain. This can be treated with non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Motrin.

The test can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 8 weeks to become positive after the virus has been transmitted. As I mentioned, it can take about 6 months for the tests to become positive in some people.

I hope I have answered your query.

Best Regards,
Dr. Radhakrishna Patta
I somewhat take issue with your statement that HCV is not transmitted sexually.  While it is very rare, if intercourse is engaged in during a woman's period (and she has hep C), there would be a possibility of the partner being infected with the virus.

Also, people are generally cautioned about using other people's tooth brushes, because if there are bleeding gums microscopic amounts of the virus can be transmitted.  I recently learned that one can also contract the virus through dried blood that is infected with HCV.