Hepatitis Expert Forum
HEP C and HIV

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

HEP C and HIV

Good morning doctors,

On 27th of this month I got tattoo at Thailand. My concern is HIV and Hepatitis C.I m vaccinated for hepatitis A and B as well. The tattoo was done with sterile needles opened in front of me, gloves where used at all the time by tattoo artist and color was taken from big bottles in new small color wells and dropped in trash along with needles after tattooing. My concern is because I have not seen the guy using autoclave machine for tattoo machine (gun) itself and tattoo tube (grip).He was using alcohol after he shaved my leg before tattooing and I think that he put some alcohol on machine and tube before he started. He was using brand new bandages to put on my leg latter. I was talking to him before we started and he said that he wash his equipment in water and soap before using every time but he never mentioned autoclave machine. Two days after tattooing I experienced low grade fever for couple hours and can be easy from something else not from tattooing because I was swimming a lot in the sea before tattooing and could be just cold. What are the odds to get infected in this manner and what is the earliest time for me to find out am I infected or not with one of the blood borne diseases. The tattoo studio was closed at 10 hours before I came because he is working from 17:00 to 05:00 and I got the tattoo at 19:00.I read that Hep C stays alive outside exposed to environment approximately 16 hours. If I new all this before I would never do that with out autoclave and proper sterilization.

Thank you so much
Dear icecube236,

I understand your health concerns.

The risk associated with transmission of HCV and HIV through tattooing is real but small. It is further reduced when disposable needles are used. Currently, HCV is predominantly transmitted by means of percutaneous exposure to infected blood.

But since one can never be sure, it is worth getting yourself tested for HCV and HIV after 2-4 weeks of the incidence with Nucleic Acid tests, if the tattooing is done in a high prevalence area.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Vaibhav Banait

Thank you for advice ,could you please explain what kind of test is that .Is it PCR or?
What is accuracy of that test and do I need retest on 3 or 6 month if I get negative result after testing that you have adviced me

Dear icecube236,

Yes, I meant Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test for HCV. HCV RNA PCR is very sensitive and can reliably detect infection 3 weeks after exposure.

HIV can also be reliably detected on HIV PCR 2 to 3 weeks after exposure. The other option for HIV testing is HIV antibody tests that are less expensive, but reliable only after 12 weeks for exposure.

As you mentioned that tattooing was done with new sterile needle, the risk of transmission is as such very low. I recommended repeat testing only in high risk cases, such as needle ***** from known HCV positive person.

Since yours was not a high risk exposure, repeat testing for either infection would not be required.

Best Regards,
Dr. Vaibhav Banait
11 days after exsposure (HCV RNA qualitative PCR-real time PCR) ,what is the accuracy ,please
I'v been told that is highly reliable and no need tasting any more.I have done for HIV and HCV and both negative.Some web sites says that this method can be used one week after exsposure some of them says two to three weeks.I'm a bit confused.Is it possible that I have false negative result and do I need retest.Could you please give me your advice

- For HCV , what is the Detection Limit for the PCR ?
- For HIV , Maio Clink Lap says from 10 - 14 Days ?