Hepatitis Expert Forum
Hep B and C from unprotected sex

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Hep B and C from unprotected sex

About 22 weeks ago i had unprotected sex with a street hooker.  I was drunk and out with friends and just was not thinking.  Lately I have had sharp pain under my right rib cage and under my left breast and itch in both spots sometimes.  I read that these are signs for Hepatitis both B and C.  I am very afraid and need some guidance.  The pains come and go and have been around for about four months.  Some days I do not have any and others they come and go during the day.  I rarely have them at night.  Other systoms have been bloating and discomfort in my stomach. My throut also swells up and I have pain in my face.  

I have been tested for HIV at 15 weeks and it was negitive.  As well as all other STD's.  I did not know Hepatitis was a STD.
Dear Blhid,

It’s good to know that you have tested and ruled out sexually transmitted infection including HIV.

Pain in right upper quadrant can occur due to:

1. Liver involvement secondary to Hepatitis viruses.
2. Fitz hughes curtis syndrome due to Chlamydia trachomatis where liver capsules gets inflamed due to chlamydia
3. Other causes such as Gastric and gall bladder diseases.

Though I think third possibility is more likely in view of your symptoms and that other sexually transmitted infections were ruled out, comprehensive investigations can help you reach proper diagnosis and accurate treatment.  A proper evaluation should include Liver function tests, viral markers for hepatitis viruses and ultrasound abdomen. Hence I encourage you to consult with your doctor and get the tests done.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon. Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards
Dr. Vaibhav Banait
Just found out I am hepatitis c positive.  I have a concern with my HIV test.  The HIV antibody test was taken 23 weeks form my exposure.  Is this test accurate?  I also had a RNA test at 8 days, 15 days, and a PCR test at 42 weeks.
Dear Blhid,

In order to post a follow up question for additional answers, could you please copy and paste the original question and follow up question as a new paid question, so that your concern could be addressed as soon as possible by the doctor?

many thanks!

Dr. Vaibhav Banait

Dear Blhid,

Best Regards
Dr. Vaibhav Banait

New comment