Hepatitis Expert Forum
Hep C and hospital work

Questions posted in the Hepatitis Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts.

Hep C and hospital work
I am a CMA and just found out I am Hep C +.  I wanted to go back to school for LVN/LPN but I'm worried that having HCV will prevent me from getting accepted into the program. Is it illegal to be an LVN/RN , CMA and have Hep C? Basically what I want to know is if it's worth going to school , only to be turned down because I have it. I really want to become LVN and start school next year for it, but I'm afraid if they found out or knew I was, they wouldn't let me in the program. Please let me know...so I can look for another field of study. :(
Oh forgot to mention, if Hep C positive person (me) can work at a clinic, nursing home as well or no?
I understand your angst...., I am an RN and just learned during a pre-employment physical that I am Hep C positive. I have no idea what this means in terms of future employment. I currently have no health insurance, as i am not employed (so also no current income). I am waiting to learn whether/not the agency to which I applied, where the hep C was discovered, tells me. I'm hoping they are requesting the next step test which determines whether/not I have an active infection. Please help - is there any case law re: employment in the health field by professionals who are hep C positive but with no active infection (which is the status I am hoping for). If I can't work as a RN, then what? I've been in nursing for 25+ years. I'm not qualified for anything else and probably over-qualified for other jobs I might else wise consider - has anyone faced similar questions?
Wow, that is not cool at all. I'm sorry to hear that mountainme. I hope you can find work in the Nursing field again, and I hope I can. If not I need to find another career to go into. The doctor hasn't responded to our questions. I hope someone will let us know if there is a law against anyone with Hep C working in the medical field. I would like to know asap. I hope you find out soon if they will hire you. I hope they do.  It would be a loss for a RN with 25+ yrs to be turned down. I hope it works out for you !!
An agency (or school) cannot discriminate against you because you have a medical condition.  I am an RN in a level 2 nursery, and I got Hep C from blood transfusions at birth.  I was really scared when I found out, I had always wanted to be a nurse.  Now, I just have to keep the MN department of health up to date with my work status.  I don't think you even have to tell your employer if you choose not to, you just need to follow universal (standard) precautions like everyone else.  We protect ourselves from patients body fluids all the time, and we are essentially protecting them from us as well.  I can do everything that my job requires me to do.  They did say something about procedures such as orthopaedic surgery and such where you would be in a body cavity and not neccessarily be able to see your hands.  If you are performing procedures where you are going in blind, there are a few different rules.  MN has a level of risk system, and I am in the lowest risk category.  Hope this helps.
A related discussion, hepatitis b was started.
A related discussion, Long Term Disability was started.